SASS Wire Forum

Question for Cap & Ball shooters.

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

I need to know what to do. I'm shooting ROA with #10 Remington Caps and the green paper inside the cap is getting cut and is blocking the hole in the nipple. I dig the paper out put on a new cap and it will fire. What am I doing wrong? It can happen to any nipple and not every time. Just sounds like a cap going off but not the powder. Yes I fire a fresh cap before I start and the nipples are new. Hell the guns are new.

Thanks Deacon Stone

Strange, never heard of this before. When I shoot my ROAs and I shoot Rem #10 also, never had this happen. I never had any problems with stock nipples as well.

Sounds like a bad batch of caps?

:FlagAm:

Perhaps too much pressure seating the caps? Just scoot them on till they stop, no need to grunt.

Aye, could be that... but are ye sure the nipple was cleared of debri from the preceding shot?

Yes they are clear. I hold them up and look through the nipple just to make sure. I was pushing really hard to make sure they were seated.

Deacon Stone

Then I'd say J-Bar hit the nail on the first whack. An you're lucky you ain't popped a cap while yer loadin'!

Sounds like maybe a batch of defective caps. Try a new can.

YUp...Sounds like either a bad batch of caps (maybe they got wet sometime in the past) OR

you are crushing the priming compound in them when seating....OR mebbe a combination of both.

If the nipple cones are not battered, you should be able to seat the Remington caps snugly

without pushing very hard...

Once the pistol is fired, the normal chamber pressure should blow the nipple vents clear and

you shouldn't have any clogged nipples after the first firing.

I didn't use a wood dowel, but I've had the same thing happen to me with Remington caps and my ROA's before (many moons ago). I then switched to CCI and the problem cleared right up. Smithy.

WQeird I have not heard of this problem before and Remingtons are probably the most popular brand of primers in SASS. Is it possible that the batch of nipples got made with a sharp edge, thus creating mini-punches? Like most, I would look to the the cheapest/easiest fixes and work my way up from there. Visually inspect the nipples, one can also fire off a few experimental caps without unduly disturbing the neighbors, so try that using less seating pressure. If all else fails, before throwing good money after bad and buying new caps I would recommend selling the defective guns to me, reeeal cheap, and use the money fer a down payment on some tried and true used Pietta brass frame Navies. Understand that I would not do this fer just anyone!

Then I'd say J-Bar hit the nail on the first whack. An you're lucky you ain't popped a cap while yer loadin'!

I'm not hitting it. I'm just pushing and its a wood dowel not a piece of metal.

Deacon Stone

Here's some interesting threads with test results on the topic from The High Road ...=>

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-452938.html

https://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7227478

If you click on the link in Post #16 you can see what happens when a cap goes off during loading. Looks kinda painful.

Sounds like maybe a batch of defective caps. Try a new can.

Yup!

You is likley causing the problem ,,,,, by seating them a way to hard ...... I seat my caps with finger presure, using my baby finger ....

But it could also be the Remmie Caps ......

Jabez Cowboy

I don't think that seating them too hard is your problem. I bet it is just a bad tin of caps. Try another tin and see if you have the same results. I have a pair of Pietta Navies in .44 caliber, ( I know Colt never made Navies in .44 but I got a good deal), they have the factory nipples on them and they are just a tad small for #10 Remingtons. When I shoot them I seat the nipples rather forcefully. I have never had the problem that you describe. I use a small oak dowel to seat them.

Boondock (who thinks you got a bad tin of caps)

Archived