SASS Wire Forum

Land Run 2011

Just home from another great Land Run at OKC Gun Club. Mother Nature gifted us once again with good weather. Roys Creek Dan, LeRoy, Cal, and many Territorial Marshalls keep putting on a match that makes one eager for a return. Over the last few years I've noticed more and more improvements from RV parking to storefronts & buildings to targets to scenerios. Club members listening to the desires and suggestions of other shooters then moving on that is always the mark of a impressive group. I'll look forward to returning to another Land Run and would highly recommend one putting this match on their calender. Super job to all workers and planners. Congratulations to all winners.

Not to forget, another fine banquet at the Cowboy Hall of Fame....good food and fellowship

bb

Just home from this great match also. Billy Boots is right if you never been you need to shoot this one!It was Lady Cheyenne and mine first time at a large match and every one made us feel at home.

Also as Billy says you need to see the Cowboy Hall of Fame Museum, was there all day and didn't get to see it all? Now were waiting to see the scores. Want to see how for down the list we are?

Had a great time with great people hope to go back next year.

Thanks to all that help put this fun shoot together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Rider Rudy & Lady Cheyenne

No doubt who won... everyone who attended. Dinner at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum was really worth the drive from Colorado. Jan Francisco and I liked it enough to stay over and return after packing up the booth today for several hours and a wonderful buffet.

Jan had only shot two monthlies before this shoot and she had a great time. Plus, she made a couple of vendors really happy! :lol:

Brisco Kid gets my personal spirit of the game award. When an ejector broke on Jan's '73 he told me to tear it down and he'd replace the part. Both of us made it back in time to shoot! Thanks Brisco!

It was my best finish ever and I'd like to thank all the Classic Cowboys who normally whup my butt for staying home. 2nd place after a 1st day train wreck of McIlroy proportions was about 20 places better than I figgered. :D

No doubt who won... everyone who attended. Dinner at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum was really worth the drive from Colorado. Jan Francisco and I liked it enough to stay over and return after packing up the booth today for several hours and a wonderful buffet.

Jan had only shot two monthlies before this shoot and she had a great time. Plus, she made a couple of vendors really happy! :lol:

Brisco Kid gets my personal spirit of the game award. When an ejector broke on Jan's '73 he told me to tear it down and he'd replace the part. Both of us made it back in time to shoot! Thanks Brisco!

It was my best finish ever and I'd like to thank all the Classic Cowboys who normally whup my butt for staying home. 2nd place after a 1st day train wreck of McIlroy proportions was about 20 places better than I figgered. :D

BK,

You did have a fine "comeback" from first day. Actually, I started to put in my original post: Congratulations to winners, especially those who survived "train wrecks" with dignity. There certainly were a few wrecks, be they gun troubles or simple brain fade Ps, but some managed to get by them for the good....me, you, RCD, Little Doc, Hobbs, J Blackstone, Flat Top, and several others. Great match covering many different distances (none far), target arrangement, target size, etc yet nothing difficult. Maybe a little extra thinking here and there plus a slight need to watch the throttle a few places. Good match for sure. Be safe until we cross paths again. Take care of that pretty lady.

bb

So.............who won what???

Jack, sorry I just do not remember many winners. Hobbs-FC, YT-FCD, Montana Dan-Sr, Rosita Gambler-ES (With a good charge by cousin Rebel Bill who had big trainwreck), LeRoy (OA winner) and Naildriver per their class but do not remember which in what class, Brisco-Frt, J Blackstone-D. Just about all I remember right now. Maybe someone else can chime in with a few, especailly for the ladies.

Yep!! It was a great match. I had a couple of massive train wrecks but still had a blast. Posse twelve was a hoot 'n' I hope I didn't shake 'em up too much with all of my carryin' on!! Me and Imis hope to be back again!!

Brother King an' Jan Francisco came by the tent Saturday mornin'. She shore did make that green hat look GOOOOOOOOD!!!! B.K. ... she's a keeper in my book, you're a lucky feller! Jan yer a darlin'!

Thanks to all the folks who put on this show and make it run so well.

'N' thanks to all the folks who loaned me their dogs for a theraputic pet as the weekend went along! :lol:

Congrats to all the winners. That's all the folks who came out and shot with us!!

Finally, thanks to Lee Roy Rodgers for lettin' us bring our stuff to the show!!

Hey Blackwater, give me a Frontiersman rundown.

BD, sent you a PM.

Jack, I shot FCD. Had a good match but for stage 10 when cylinder pin slide forward and took some attention (on the clock). I had just done my revolver clean after stage 9 and foolishly did not tighten pin lock screw enough or at all. You would think I would have done it enough that it would be 100% routine, but senior moments do often interfear with what should be....heck, why tell you, you know. ha. Anyway, managed a win, clean finish, and 24th OA. You should make this match, think you would like it.

BK, agree with BD, believe you got a keeper. Of course, unless you are teaching reloading to her, you may have to spend more time kicking out ammo.

Hey Blackwater, give me a Frontiersman rundown.

Frontiersman:

1st - Brisco

2nd - Cree Vicar Dave

3rd - Moi

Other MO winners:

Doc Hurd - 1st Wrangler & Second Overall

Katie (Double Tap) Scarlett - 1st Lady Duelist; 1st Womens Long Range Pistol Caliber Rifle; 1st Womens Trail Walk

Landrun was a great shoot as usual Roy's Creek Dan and Leroy Rogers, along with all their volunteer minions, did a fantastic job of providing quality entertainment and competition (although a couple of flying birds woulda been nice). Got to meet some new friends and put a face to names from the wire. Posse 7 had numerous category winners and worked like a well oiled machine. Congrats to Brother King for his second place finish - see, you weren't as bad as you thought. Jan Francisco did a great job, being only her third match. Finally got to shoot with Partner and Partner's Partner after seein them at Branson all these years. Cajun Ace from the great state of Louisiana, hope to shoot with you again, either at Branson or at next years Bayou Blast - if not before. I'm gonna forget someone; so, sufficed to say, I hope to shoot with all of the members of Posse 7 again.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Noz,

You'll find your answer in the post above.

I shot 49er this time. I still haven't gotten my pistols fixed like I want 'em, and there are so many guns in my safe fussin' cause I don't shoot them often enough that I cain't get no sleep at night fer all the racket. I'd hoped ta' see you there but Cree Vicker Dave and I shot on the same posse and he did have a good match, as did Fingers. I didn't see Brisco.

You gonna' make Midwest Classic?

Had a great time also. Congrats to all the hard working club members that put on the shoot. Say, Billy where are the over all scores posted, would like to see how I did overall.

John,

They were posted Sunday morning at range before I left.

Congratulations on being B-western champion.

bb

Mr. Boots, I must agree that a good time was easy to be had at the shoot. I enjoyed shooting with you and our MO. friends Smokie and Little Smokie, what a fine young man he is and only getting better (Little Smokie that is I'm still not too sure about the big one, ha ha ha). Also, Brother King, I know how you feel, Joe and Martha have helped me out more than once, they are great folks. Possie 5 ran smooth and everyone pitched in and made it a pleasure to be there. I'm beginning to think that my favorite part of these matches is seeing old friends and making new ones. I must also tip my hat to The Tonic Kid, he is my best friend for over 20 years now and I still can't beleve that voice comes out of that. Hope everyone has/had a safe trip home and see you down the trail.

Slim

PS LeRoy, RCD, and everyone involved in setting up this match, you can be proud and thank you.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words, it takes a lot of work from a lot of people to put one of these shindigs on and it couldn’t be done without everyone. And it wouldn’t be worth the effort if it weren’t for the fine folks that showed up! Here are the team and side match results. Scores will be posted ASAP on our web site www.okcgunclub.org We have a small computer problem so please bear with us.

Thanks to everyone that helped and to everyone that showed up.

RCD

Top team is: #2 Cal Cogburn, Fort Hays Preacher, Sour Mug Moe, and Pala Denton, Brazos Valley Kid

Top couple is: Rock Creek Bottoms and Rock Creek Rustler.

Top Gun is: Rowdy Rebel.

SIDE MATCH WINNER

Men's Long Distance Pistol BURLEY BILL

Ladie's Long Distance Pistol CHANTILLY

Men's Long Distance Pistol Caliber Rifle ARMED TO THE TEETH

Ladie's Long Distance Pistol Caliber Rifle KATIE SCARLET

Men's Fastest Pistol NAILDRIVER

Ladie's Fastest Pistol HARDHEAD SAM

Men's Fastest Pistol - Gunfighter NAIL DRIVER

Ladie's Fastest Pistol - Gunfighter MISSOURI MAE

Men's Fastest Pistol - Duelist ROCK SLIDE

Ladie's Fastest Pistol - Duelist MARLEY BELLE

Men's Fastest Rifle TRENT

Ladie's Fastest Rifle HIGHLAND SCOTTIE

Men's Fastest Shotgun - '97 ROYS CREEK DAN

Ladie's Fastest Shotgun - '97 KIAMCHICHI QUEEN

Men's Fastest Shotgun - Double ARMED TO THE TEETH

Ladie's Fastest Shotgun - Double DEUCES ANNIE

Men's Fastest Pocket Pistol TWO GUN JOHNNIE

Ladie's Fastest Pocket Pistol MISSOURI MAE

Men's Fastest Derringer MONTANA DAN

Ladie's Fastest Derringer MISSOURI MAE

Men's Fastest Rimfire Pistol HOLY SMOKE HARMON

Ladie's Fastest Rimfire Pistol MISSOURI MAE

Men's fastest rimfire rifle ROY'S CREEK DAN

ladie's fastest rimfire rifle MISSOURI MAE

Men's Big Bore Rifle Caliber Single Shot LITTLE DOC

Ladie's Big Bore Rifle Caliber Single Shot GODDESS

Men's Big Bore Rifle Caliber Lever Action GUNNY BUCKSHOT

Ladie's Big Bore Rifle Caliber Lever Action SADIE MARCUS

Men's Cowboy Clays 20 GUAGE MONTANA DAN

Ladie's Cowboy Clays 20 GUAGE JUST L

Men's Cowboy Clays 12 GUAGE PALADENTON

Ladie's Cowboy Clays 12 guage SOUR MUG MOE

MENS'S TRAIL WALK NAIL DRIVER

WOMENS' TRAIL WALK KATIE SCARLET

Had a great time. Prospector thanks for leading us around and lettin us see you shoot it clean. I trully enjoyed talking to you sir. Posse 4 was small but we had a grand time. Thanks LeRoy and Dan and the whole bunch. Just well set up and nothing tricky. ( Of course that didnt stop me from screwin up . But my own fault). Nice to meet new folks. Missed shootin with others. Can"t wait till next year.

Brother King, congrats on placing #2 after the "train wrecks". Who won 1st place CLASSIC COWBOY?

Ghost

Thanks, Ghost.... IIRC it's none other than HIGH PLAINS HUD. I think we're all awaiting official scoring from OKC Gun Club Page.

Thank you RCD, and all those who played a part in putting on this fine match.

bb

BTT for those interested----- http://www.okcgunclub.org/cowboy/index.html

Archived