SASS Wire Forum

What is the SASS Convention all about?

Aunt Jen

The TG's meet there every year to vote on new or old issues like rules or categories or such.

There are night time activities such as dinners and dancing .

During the day there are seminars on many different things ,from stage design ,running matches ,dress,and shooting I believe .

Havent been in a long time.

There are demonstrations, or were of whip crackin and paddy whackin..........some of the look alike dress up folks ike John Wayne double and Elvis impersonators.

They now have a indoor wax bullet match . :excl:

There is a room with vendors in it .(clothes ,leather and other cowpeople trappings)......and I believe some gun manufacturers have booths to look at new hardware .

There is a costume contest on the last night I believe still...... that man ya got to see that ..........some very amazin costumes fer sure ,right down to the underwear from what I heard. :unsure:

That same night is the big ball dinner ,where they have kinda reenactment stuff goin on and other entertainment(maybe guntwirllin.) and dancing.

Know fer sure most of the wet bars ya walk past have folks gettin tooted . :D

The gamblin tables have a share of people gettin lucky er losin match money. :lol:

But what happens in the rooms at Vegas ,stays in Vegas :ph34r:;)

Its about Vegas, connecting up with friends, learning something, eating, going to the NFR, did I mention eating, learning about the workings of SASS, possibly bringing home a homeless gun, but mostly having a good time.

The TG's meet there every year to vote on new or old issues like rules or categories or such.

There are night time activities such as dinners and dancing .

During the day there are seminars on many different things ,from stage design ,running matches ,dress,and shooting I believe .

Havent been in a long time.

There are demonstrations, or were of whip crackin and paddy whackin..........some of the look alike dress up folks ike John Wayne double and Elvis impersonators.

They now have a indoor wax bullet match . :excl:

There is a room with vendors in it .(clothes ,leather and other cowpeople trappings)......and I believe some gun manufacturers have booths to look at new hardware .

There is a costume contest on the last night I believe still...... that man ya got to see that ..........some very amazin costumes fer sure ,right down to the underwear from what I heard. :unsure:

That same night is the big ball dinner ,where they have kinda reenactment stuff goin on and other entertainment(maybe guntwirllin.) and dancing.

Know fer sure most of the wet bars ya walk past have folks gettin tooted . :D

The gamblin tables have a share of people gettin lucky er losin match money. :lol:

But what happens in the rooms at Vegas ,stays in Vegas :ph34r:;)

That and more!

There is Cowboy Christmas at the Convention Center (walking distance from the Rivera)

Friday night is the pajama party - a real hoot

And meeting new and old friends.

Spending lot's of $$$$$$ No Shootin'!!!

I don't consider WAX BULLETS Shootin' !

Shootin is shootin, we get to introduce a bunch of folks to SASS/CAS at the Wax Shoot and have a good time. Our tent should be big enough to include all of us.

BH

One reason I haven't gone. Don't have the money to spend, and what little I do have I'd rather spend traveling to a match where I get to shoot a couple of days.

YMMV

Grizz

Not to mention that Riders in the Sky put on a helluva concert at the Convention last year.

The Convention is what you make of it, Jen. You can do as little or as much as you desire. You can stay busy all day, or sleep in and be a bum, whatever your heart desires.

After the TG meeting, I like to hit the vendors, the food court, and take in a seminar or three. I don't care for the evening food at the Riv, but guess what? Las Vegas is a foodies paradise. We get up a group of pards and go out to eat every night. If you don't like something at the Convention, there are many other venues to fill the void.

It is up to you to make the most of your time. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every Convention, and it is always good to see old friends and to make new friends. Sure, I could nitpick here and there, but the overall experience is well worth it to me. Give it a go sometime -- I don't believe you will regret it.

Hi Jen,

The guys have named most of the activities. So, I'll elaborate a little. The classes are really good and free for Conventioneers. There is everything from shooting better to gun cleaning to costuming. This year I took a Wild Bunch class from Happy Jack and Costume Trimming from Autumn Rose. Her classes are always great. I've taken Dixie Bell's and Holy Terror's shooting classes. They are charming ladies with great tips.

Last year there was the first Victorian Tea.

Miss Tabitha gives free Victorian dance lessons. I took one for the first time this year. They were surprisingly easy and fun. If you go to the Saturday ball, you will be ready to dance.

Miss T also puts on a Victorian fashion show that is spectacular. It is so B) to see all of the great costumes everywhere everyday.

Thursday night there is a saloon dance and costume contest.

I've had decent meals at the Riv. Last year I got to go to Lawry's and the Venetian for dinners. Yummy. Next year, I hope to go to another place, I forgot the name, with dear friends. I hope they remember.

The Wild Bunch is there and you can meet them if you like. I see lots of folks I've only met here on the Wire and some I only see once or twice a year.

If you are worried about going by yourself, don't be. I've gone by myself every time but one and manage to have fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I've only been in SASS for three years but I can tell you for an absolute fact, in those three years the Eldorado cowboys have bent over backwards trying to get convention goers to come out and join them for thier normal monthly match. REAL shooting with REAL bullets. They even offered to supply all the REAL guns and REAL bullets you would need. Or store your REAL guns and REAL bullets if that's your preference. As far as I know, the number of folks that have taken them up on their incredibly generous offer in the past three years could be counted on one hand. REAL shooting with REAL bullets is available during the convention, ya just gotta take advantage of it.

I like the idea of having sooooo many of the vendors in one place, at one time. That's really attractive to me. There's only a couple of vendors around here but I want to see what "else" is out there. Sure there's the internet, but I like to get may hands on stuff before buying.

In the past I've seen some great topics for the seminars and such. I think I'd benefit from those as well.

Drinkin', eatin', and general carryin' on.....how can that NOT be fun.

I've only been in SASS for three years, and I was out of work for the last two which means I really didn't have the money to attend. Now that I'm back at work...well now, the SASS convention is definitely being considered!

I've only been in SASS for three years but I can tell you for an absolute fact, in those three years the Eldorado cowboys have bent over backwards trying to get convention goers to come out and join them for thier normal monthly match. REAL shooting with REAL bullets. They even offered to supply all the REAL guns and REAL bullets you would need. Or store your REAL guns and REAL bullets if that's your preference. As far as I know, the number of folks that have taken them up on their incredibly generous offer in the past three years could be counted on one hand. REAL shooting with REAL bullets is available during the convention, ya just gotta take advantage of it.

Just when is this shoot in relation to the Convention time-table ,,, Before,after or during ????

Wouldn't mind attending Convention to the Full and Shooting,are you folks still offering to store guns of a Pard ????

Jabez Cowboy

I've attended most of the SASS conventions, for the last four or five I've been there representing Guns of the Old West magazine. It is a fun time.

End of Trail is about competitive shooting, but the convention is about competitive dressing. :P This is an event where the ladies pull out all the stops on their outfits, and we men certainly appreciate it.

In fairness, some guys dress up nice too, but I don't appreciate that as much.

To Philly Slim,

I was at the first SASS convention, and a bus full of us shot the El Dorado Cowboys match on Sunday. I really enjoyed it. It was a good match with a nice bunch of pards. However, I'm not surprised that they don't do it anymore. Like a lot of others, I flew into Vegas from 2,500 miles away transporting four guns. I'm a black powder shooter, so I had to ship my ammo out to a pard who drove it to Vegas and gave it to me for the match. After the match I had guns to clean, and packing to do. I donated my fired brass because I figured it would set off the TSA's explosives sniffers. Then I had to wrangle four guns through the airport to go home.

If I was driving I'd love o shoot with the El Dorado club, but when you're flying, it is much harder. And, lots of folks actually start their journey home on Sunday. It just makes it hard to incorporate a match into the proceedings.

For me the convention is a chance to catch up with friends across the country who I only see once or twice a year.

it started in vegas

so that....... stays in vegas

LOL

no really

the tg's use ta meet here for representing & improving SASS

then I think

...................wives got jell-ous

my -- cowboy is in vegas with out me

................so

then, sASS

invented the convention

and folks

well

sum like it

sum dont

I am working on some NFR tickets.

If we get that done. We will be headed to the convention.

No TG summit for me. No workshops (got some of the best in my home club for that :rolleyes: )

Don't have no fancy duds for no fancy dances.

But bet I can find something to do :unsure:

Been wanting to go. So if I land those NFR tickets that is all the excuse we need.

We have not been to Vegas in about 5 years. It's time. :ph34r:

The Eldorado Cowboys shoot the 1st Sunday of every month and the preceding Saturday. That means this year they'll shoot right smack in the middle of the Convention 3rd & 4th of December.

Yep, there's any number of cowboys that would be more than willing to offer some space in their safes for the storage of your shootin' irons.

I know of a few folks with multi passenger vehicles that will provide free transportation to and from the range.

As far as brining guns on the plane yeah, I can't help you there other than to offer my guns for you to use. I know it's not the same as having your own but, at least you'd be shootin'. We also have spare gun carts.

If there's any way I or the other locals can help make your Convention and overall Vegas experience better, just let us know.

Some of the names that frequent this here wire you can go to are:

Madd Mike

Creeker

Ace of Hearts

Philly Slim (Although I hear he's about half a bubble off center. :wacko: )

Sour Kraut

Iona Vaquero

Lady of Glitter Gulch

Charming

That's nowhere near the complete list but, it's a good start.

Fun, Friends, Food, Great Vendors, Great Food, TG Meetings, Love all the great outfits! It's Vegas Baby! You can be as High Class or "cheap" as you want. I've been 3 times. I'll be less likely to go if it moves from VEGAS! Come join us.

Scotsman

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Great time, for sure!

We hope to go again in 2012.

MG & CJ

Archived