SASS Wire Forum

Conversion cylinder firing pins

P.A. Dutchman

Howdy pards...I have two conversion cylinders, an R&D and a Kirst, for my 1860 Pietta colts. Does anyone know where I might be able to get replacement firing pins? I dressed then up yesterday, after coming home from a shoot, removing the mushroom head. They are fine for now, but I know down the line I will have to replace them and I cannot find anything on the web for replacements. Thanks!

Plan "A": Call/Contact "The Smith's Shop" in Rhode Island. I think he still offers hardened firing pins for R&D. The Kurst shouldn't need a new firing pin.

Plan "B": Reduce the power of your Main Springs. The Pins will still mushroom but it will take a lot longer.

Plan "C": Do all of the above.

Coffinmaker

PS: Reduced power Main Springs are available from VTI gunparts

The pins on the Kirst converters I have are non-removable. They are swaged in place. The R&D's I have have screw inserts holding in the pins and are easy to remove.

Virgil Ray,

You can get replacement parts from R&D (there has been a name change recently) if you can get them to talk to you. "IF." But, why buy replacement parts that are going to fail just like the OEM that came with the conversion unit?? Either acquire hardened replacement pins or harden or have hardened, the OEM pins as soon as you get the conversion unit.

Coffinmaker

Archived