SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 92 ?

Grizzly Adams 3674

I have a Rossi Puma '92 and it feeds 38 spl okay. Of course it took me five years to get it to run without jambs every six rounds no matter what you put in it. It works great now. If you get the Japanese model I would be curious to know how it works.

Guest diablo slim shootist

If it won't feed 38s Griz -the Jap plant manager would have to commit "Harikari" :lol:

loading 38s longer (1.5 in )or more may solve any problems

Grizzly,

I had one of the Winchester 92s made by Miroku about 4 years ago. It was a nicely made and finished gun. The 92 action will never be close to the action of the 66 or 73. If you can live with the longer stroke and the harder lever action, it isn't a bad gun. The barrel on mine said 357 (not 38/357). I could NOT get it to feed 38S reliabily. I DID however, get it to feed light loaded 357 cases with a 125 gr. bullet reliabily.

Suggest you talk to Nate Kiowa Jones on this topic. He is THE expert on 92's. I'd recommend sending the gun to him for any "smith" work.

Good Luck, Conejo

Some 92's will feed shorter 38's some won't. Lots of variables come into play starting with how fast you try to run them. If you are not racing the gun, just like a car, standard or pump gas will do just fine. But, the faster you go the more important the correct fuel/ammo becomes.

Generally, they don’t work well with really long 357’s or really short 38’s. Bullet shape can have a bearing too. They don’t work well with semi-wad cutters or any bullet that has an exposed driving band to hang up on.

The original 92's were designed to work with ammo in the 1.5" to 1.6" OAL. The most common problem with the shorter 38's is the gun will throw out live rounds with the empty's. This is because the shorter 38 coming on to the carrier from the tube can bounce forward enough that the rim is too close to the rim slots in the guides and when you lever it fast the carrier just catapults them out with the empty.

For years i directed folks to "T's" ammo for his 1.5" cowboy 38 spec. He is no longer loading commercially. So, I was sending folks to AMMO DIRECT for their leveraction 38. They are no longer loading so now I don't know who to tell folks to go to for the long 38's.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks to all who replied. :) Pretty much what I was expecting, as the one I was looking at was marked "357 Mag ONLY." The seller however, claimed it would shoot 38spl. <_< Beautiful rifle, and obviously well made, however.

The '92 can be tuned to be very smooth. I let shooters who give me grief about mine try the action; they always are left speechless. The real problem is that t will stovepipe about one of thirty rounds, which I am convinced is my fault. The stovepiped round can be difficult to extract.

I shoot .357's only in mine. They run best and are easy to load. I also get all of my brass back since no one else wants it. I cannot tell a difference in recoil or point of impact with .38's or .357's in this gun.

My Rosi 92 wouldn't shoot .38s until I made the OAL in excess of 1.5. Now it works like a charm with .38s. I also have a Chaparral '66 in .357 mag only however, It will shoot .38s with an OAL of 1.5. It seems that 1.5 + OAL is the key.

I have a new Win/Miroku .357 lever action.

Like NKJ said the OAL makes a huge difference. If you load your own you might have good luck. I've bought several different boxes of 38spl but I need to get it to the range. In the past, I've had it jam but I'm attributing that to my rookie status with cycling a lever action.

I have similar issues with the Rossi/Puma 92 (in 45lc) that I recently bought from a local dealer .

I'll post up after I get the Winchester back to the range this week.

BTW, I'm going to send the Winchester and the Puma t to Steve for action jobs when I get my other 92 from him.

Archived