SASS Wire Forum

speakin' of loose screws....

Singin' Sue 71615

Reading where a Pard had a loose screw on his rifle. I have a dillema. I have a screw on my old marlin that looks as if it is going to fall out. The gun has been worked over, and the screw is just what it is. It has never fallen out.

Now, the delima....folks with the very best intentions see this screw "backing out" and tighten it for me!!!! On the line, at the unloading talbe...wherever! Problem is if the screw is even slightly tight, the lever sticks!!! :wacko:

suggestions are to put some locktight in it. I thought I would just write in with a paint pin..."don't screw with me" ! ;)

It sounds like it is a replacement that is too long. You could shorten it with a dremel or get the correct screw.

Buffalo Slim

I would suggest putting in the proper screw or checking the ones you have. If the screw is tightened and the lever sticks, it is the wrong screw. On the Marlin the receiver screws have the same diameter and pitch but are different lengths. If someone worked on it they probably put the screws in the wrong holes.

What Larsen said is likely the problem. Iff the two trigger plate screws are in the wrong holes this happens. The longer screw goes in the front bottom, the shorter screw goes in on the left side. Both sould be tight.

I would suggest putting in the proper screw or checking the ones you have. If the screw is tightened and the lever sticks, it is the wrong screw. On the Marlin the receiver screws have the same diameter and pitch but are different lengths. If someone worked on it they probably put the screws in the wrong holes.

I've been accused of that a time or two.

Draw a line across the screw head with nail polish or a paint pen to mark its position. This way you (and well meaning screw tighteners) will be able to easily see if the screw has backed out at all.

Hey, you read 'tween the lines pretty good!!!! You have a great idea and it will be tried and tested this weekend! Thanks.

Thank you all for your knowledge and suggestions!!!! I'll have the hubby check the lengths. That way if it fouls up I can blame him!!!!! Larson, if you're here for Stampede, maybe you can swing by the rig and take a glance. :P

Thank you all for your knowledge and suggestions!!!! I'll have the hubby check the lengths. That way if it fouls up I can blame him!!!!! Larson, if you're here for Stampede, maybe you can swing by the rig and take a glance. :P

Decided to try a few different shoots this year, so I'm going to Ruckus. I will be at the EOT if its still a problem then.

What Larsen said; he's talking about the trigger plate screws. One in the bottom right behind the forend (longer) and one on the side, bottom left side (non-ejection port side) They are the same thread and will interchange but aren't interchangeable. Switch'em and I bet the problem goes away. The long screw binds on the carrier when it gets into the side.

....folks with the very best intentions see this screw "backing out" and tighten it for me!!!! On the line, at the unloading talbe...wherever!

Pretty nervey of some folks to be doing field gunsmithing on someone else's gun without asking.

Whatever happened to keeping your hands (and your tools) to yourself unless assistance is requested?

Pretty nervey of some folks to be doing field gunsmithing on someone else's gun without asking.

Whatever happened to keeping your hands (and your tools) to yourself unless assistance is requested?

My thoughts exactly.

The knife on my belt ain't just for playing mumblety-peg between stages............. :blink:

I've seen it happen many times, and I've had it happen myself a couple times. Malfunction, hand off the gun, finish, go to the unloading table and find someone prying on the carrier through the loading gate with a damn foot long screwdriver or somesuch. I had someone pull the base pin on one of my Uberti revolvers once to "check something", but they didn't realize the head of the base pin is grooved to fit around the barrel. The knothead had the gun on the edge of the table with the head of the pin against the table and pushing down with everything he had trying to force it in, saying, "This thing is so dirty, the pin won't even go back in". I had a bear of a time getting it back out, there's a big gouge on the bottom of the barrel now, and the head of the base pin is scarred up.

Archived