SASS Wire Forum

A shout out "Thanks"

:FlagAm:

You may remember, I was looking for left hand extractor for a 16ga. 97.

Marauder & Lumpy Grits both offered suggestions for suppliers, and I tried but to no avail as there are no extractors for 16ga. out there.

I called Cap this morning and discussed my plight with "The all knowing one" and he suggested that I do the coil spring modification with my broken original extractor. I had already taken my 93/97 Cap Special apart and eyeballed the mod that he took the time to explain to me. With his encouragement, I tackled the project.

About 1/2 hour later my 16ga was ejecting like a new one.

Thanks,

WR

:FlagAm:

You may remember, I was looking for left hand extractor for a 16ga. 97.

Marauder & Lumpy Grits both offered suggestions for suppliers, and I tried but to no avail as there are no extractors for 16ga. out there.

I called Cap this morning and discussed my plight with "The all knowing one" and he suggested that I do the coil spring modification with my broken original extractor. I had already taken my 93/97 Cap Special apart and eyeballed the mod that he took the time to explain to me. With his encouragement, I tackled the project.

About 1/2 hour later my 16ga was ejecting like a new one.

Thanks,

WR

Just how did you do that mod pard, mine needs one too.

Thanks for any info,

Jailhouse Jim

Well, I had one to look at, and I still talked to Cap before I tried it. Basicaly, you need 2 items: A diamond bit from Dremal and a short stout spring. I found a spring in my junk drawer, and had the diamond bit. If you try to use a drill to make a channel for the spring on the left extractor, the bit will break. I chucked the diamond bit in my drill press, and gently bored the channel into the bolt just to the left of the pin that holds the extractor in. Then insert the spring and test until your empties start chuckin' out like they should.

If you can find someone with a Cap 97 or 93/97 and they will let you pull the bolt, you can see that it really is a simple fix for a problem that plagues our 97's.

Good luck, and if you can't talk to Cap or one of his "Smiths" you can call me and maybe, I can talk you through it.

WR

Archived