SASS Wire Forum

lever action grip

Buckshot Frank

What kind of grip (stong hand) do you use on your lever action rifle?

I started with three fingers in the lever, but this put my trigger finger way to far out in front of the trigger to comfortably use. I then started only putting two fingers in the lever with my pinky behind it. This was comfortable except when I closed the lever on my pinky (which doesn't help your times when done).

I've been dry firing a lot lately and have stumbled on an akward grip, but it works well for me. I put two fingers through the lever then rotate my hand like using a pistol grip. This wedges the two fingers in the lever with the pinky under the lever and the thumb resting on the right side of the stock. I can keep my thumb where it is when levering the gun, and my trigger finger falls right on top of the trigger. It looks strange, but seems to work very well. Did I invent a new grip, or just discover what everyone else has already been doing?

Let me start this by saying I'm a relative newbie. I wouldn't have answered at all except that it appears that no one else has. So, read this fwiw..... :rolleyes:

A shooting pard (and a really fast one ;) ) loaned me "The Top Shooter's Guide to Cowboy Action Shooting" after our last shoot. I highly recommend it. It's an easy read and has lots of basic fundamentals packed in there.

The question you pose appears to be addressed in Chapter 8; Engaging with the Main Stage Rifels and Carbines. As stated by the author, "Correctly done, the action should be opened and closed in around 10 to 15 hundredths of a second. Described as 'flicking,' it is hoped to portray how one move is made in two directions (forward and back) whle at the same time having the least amount of movement to either side of the firearm. This is also done to such a manner that no motion is transferred to the shooter's shoulders or head." There are numerous photos of racking the rifle provided. In each pic, the shooter (a) has the index finger pointed "downrange," (2) the other three fingers are in the lever; and (3) the thumb is pointed skyward. This "thumb up" position is something I've been working on for nearly a month. Initially, I wrapped the thumb over the top after each cycle of the weapon. This wastes time, so I've learned to cycle the weapon while keeping my thumb up. As I complete the cycle, my thumb stays skyward while pulling the trigger finger into the trigger guard and (hopefully :rolleyes: ) breaking a clean shot. After practice, I've found that you can increase your ability to (1) stay on target or (2) track to the next target by doing this.

I hope this helps....if nothing else, putting something on your reading list.

Chick

What kind of grip (stong hand) do you use on your lever action rifle?

I started with three fingers in the lever, but this put my trigger finger way to far out in front of the trigger to comfortably use. I then started only putting two fingers in the lever with my pinky behind it. This was comfortable except when I closed the lever on my pinky (which doesn't help your times when done).

I've been dry firing a lot lately and have stumbled on an akward grip, but it works well for me. I put two fingers through the lever then rotate my hand like using a pistol grip. This wedges the two fingers in the lever with the pinky under the lever and the thumb resting on the right side of the stock. I can keep my thumb where it is when levering the gun, and my trigger finger falls right on top of the trigger. It looks strange, but seems to work very well. Did I invent a new grip, or just discover what everyone else has already been doing?

I use 3 fingers in the lever loop, thumb up and trigger finger slightly curled towards the trigger. Some use 2 fingers, thumb against the side of the rifle, trigger finger inside the trigger guard and let the trigger finger hit the trigger as the lever is closed.

As long as you are not "jerking" the rifle side to side or up and down as you lever the gun both work very well.

One thing to beware of is the "'73 bite" where your trigger finger gets in to deep and becomes pinned between the back/bottom of the trigger and the lever when closed. Hurts like the dickens :wub:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I rest my thumb on the side of the rifle, three fingers in the loop.

I have also used a very different method. I use my thumb only in the loop. Gives me a little relief at the end of the travel both ways. I do this when my wrist or fingers are hurting. Works pretty well on my 87 also.

Frank, You pretty much discovered what a lot of the fast guys have already been doing. But you discovered it very quickly, which is impressive!

Just for grins, I tried your two finger in the lever method and found my trigger finger to be way out of bounds to engage in a reasonable amount of time so I returned to the tried and true.................

I rest my thumb on the side of the rifle, three fingers in the loop.

It's been working for me so I guess I won't change it? Smithy.

• 4 weeks later...

I just use two fingers in. Have been for years now. Found I was not only faster.

But kept the sights on target better also.

There are some that only use one finger in the lever.

I tried it today. Not bad. But was just as fast with two.

And felt better for me with two.

Howdy

Mr Winchester and Mr Marlin made the loop big enough to put all four fingers in. So that's what I do. I don't care about 100ths of a second, the smoke doesn't clear fast enough for me to worry about that anyway.

Three fingers in the lever just beyond the first knukles. The trigger finger never leaves the trigger guard. My thumb resting on top of the receiver right beside the hammer sitting parallel with the hammer. This gives me better control of the rifle then resting my thumb on the side of the reciever. I have small hands so this might not work with big hands. This also depends on a lot of factors.

1.Size of hands

2.Lever wrap and thickness

3.Shortness of stroke

4.Quality of action job

5.One or two piece trigger

This is why not one shortstroke is right for every shooter.

Archived