SASS Wire Forum

Rossi barrel work

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards!I got a brass 92 for the wife ....slicked up the action and I was thinkin about having the barrel cut down to 20 inches.........It has an octagon 24" barrel....would it be easier to cut it off at the mag tube hanger which is about 21" and slot a dovetail for the front sight.????.....Is there that much difference in weight??how much would somelike that cost to have done???or keep it and look for a carbine?????Tuco.

Shortening the barrel can make a tremendous difference in how a rifle handles. Taking weight off the muzzle end moves the balance point closer to the shooter, so you're not fighting muzzle wander. I trimmed the barrel on a Sharps and took off a pound-and-a-quarter of weight. Taking off 3" should reduce the front end on your '92 by about one-half to three-quarter of a pound and make it much easier to swing and stay on target.

It may not sound like much, but that's about the weight of a can of soup. Tape one to a yardstick or broomhandle and hold it at arm's length and try to hold it steady.

Trimming the barrel back and cutting a new sight dovetail ... I do all my own work, so I can't advise on what it would cost to have it done. Can't imagine it would be all that much, but it would definitely be cheaper than buying a new rifle.

Howdy Pards!I got a brass 92 for the wife ....slicked up the action and I was thinkin about having the barrel cut down to 20 inches.........It has an octagon 24" barrel....would it be easier to cut it off at the mag tube hanger which is about 21" and slot a dovetail for the front sight.????.....Is there that much difference in weight??how much would somelike that cost to have done???or keep it and look for a carbine?????Tuco.

Unlike the original 92, the Rossi does not have a tapered octagon barrel. The straight octagon 24" in 357m is really front heavy. So, just cutting 2" isn't going to help that much. Plus, the Rossi butstock and forend is about 1" longer than the original so the gun won't look proportional and with the mag hanger all the way to the front it will look like a cut off gun.

The better solution is to remove 4" from the breech end of the barrel and the forend. The original short rifles had forends that were about 9". Now the barrel will look much more proportional as will the forend.

Here is a 20" octagon that was cut to 16"

SHORT SHORT RIFLE

Price wise you would be better off selling it and buying her a 20" round barrel carbine.

Archived