SASS Wire Forum

Barrel Length #2

Smithy

I read the barrel length concerns on another thread and did not want to steal that thread. It mentioned mounted vs. ground shooting and short barrels and such and the gun in particular I was interested in purchasing comes from Ables. It's an Uberti El Patron "Mounted" revolver. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=121430 with a 3 1/2" barrel length and the rest as you see posted from Ables. Would this gun be legal or not? Smithy.

Looking at the picture it looks like it is just a regular Uberti with a 3 1/2" barrel. It's legal. There's nothing in the rules about how long or short a revolver barrel can be. (There are some requirements for side match guns, but we are talking about main match.)

I've seen some guns for mounted shooters with checkering on the grip frame which would not be legal for "ground shooters." You can't tell from the photos, but I am sure they would list it as a feature if it had it.

Yes it is Legal, but check around that price seems a bit high.

KK

Uberti's MSRP for the SS version in .45 Colt is $749.00

Able's price is less than that.

FWIW - The pic I posted was of the B/CH model. (list is $599.00)

;)

Is this a colt clone or NMV clone or something new?

Colt clone...Uberti "Cattleman" with factory 'action job'; Wolff springs; wider sights & lowered hammer spur.

LINK

Quick suggestion here...the Uberti "El Patron" is their highest finish level. They sell guns also made to that spec to Cimarron where it gets the "Evil Roy" label, and to Taylor's where it's a "Smokewagon" or "Running Iron" depending on the hammer style. All basically the same Uberti gun at the same quality/finish level. Cimarron does some additional hand-tuning stateside and it's one of the best possible Ubertis.

Longhunter takes the Taylor versions and hand-tunes them himself before shipping 'em to you.

Here's the "Running Iron" with the newly-legal lower hammer more or less similar to the Ruger SuperBlackhawk/Montado style hammer - note that it's available in the short barrel you want:

http://www.longhunt.com/taylor/runniniron.htm

And here's the traditional hammer type:

http://www.longhunt.com/taylor/smokewagon.htm

I don't know which barrel lengths are offered on the Smokewagon, wouldn't surprise me if he could get them with 3.5" tubes.

The lower hammer type is particularly valuable if you're shooting one of the one-hand-per-wheelgun classes, or are a "strong side thumber" as opposed to an "off-hand cocker". The lower hammers also help if you're doing the "pinkie under" hold, which works very well for a lot of folks. My NewVaq357 has had this sort of lower hammer for years now. If you don't like the lower hammer, I'd be willing to bet Longhunter could get you the standard hammer and ship it to you at a fair price so...you're not out a lot. Actually...if you do that, you can probably sell the lower hammer here on the Wire for decent coin so...yeah, shouldn't be any risk at all. Talk to Longhunter about this, if you're not sure about the low hammer.

Note the prices - and these guns are every bit the equal of an Evil Roy, and once Longhunter gets done with 'em they far exceed an Uberti El Patron.

Thanks a bunch folks for all the information! I just was not sure after the questions had been raised on the other thread. So the big deal is if there is checkering on the back or fore strap (excuse spelling) which would keep it in "mounted shooting" departments, and not ground. I think I get it now. Smithy.

Archived