SASS Wire Forum

WTT very old, kinna unique (in age) Ruger 3 screw

I would like to trade and old, I believe very good condition Ruger Single Six for a Single Six, 4 5/8 inch Birdshead grip 32 H & R OR Uberti 20" bbl 45 LC and cash.

Here's what I know about my gun:

Serial number 2602;

Shipped August 1954;

3 screw,

pearlite type grips (originals were hard rubber with Ruger logo);

grips have a thin crack by the screw hole on the left side and a very small chip on the right side;

hammer is broken at tip (can still be easily cocked) musta been dropped or bobbed I'm guessing;

VERY light cylinder ring, therefore I believe minimum usage; and

very good blue/finish with typical holster wear at very end of the barrel.

Pix available if you send me an e-mail to Raceshots@aol.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

However, based on gun broker, I will take $475 plus shipping to your FFL dealer to the lower 48 except California as I have no resource to ship there.

But the truth is I'd rather trade for one of the above guns.

I will be at a shoot Saturday, so most likely I won't be able to get back to anyone till Saturday night/Sunday, but will answer all in order of questions received.

Thanks for your time.

You can ship it to California as easy as any other state, nothing special about it. It only gets slightly more complicated if you ship through an FFL on your end and he doesn't want to do the 10 minutes of online work required. I already have 2 3-screw Ruger .22's so it don't matter to me, just leaving you more options.

Hello the camp! This is where the feds and the shipping weenies have us snookered. I have shipped long arms all over, thru usps, for ~$25, insd. However, shipping a short arm yourself costs ~$75, cuz ups and fedx will only do next-day air. My ffl charges me ~$30 to ship a short arm. Therein is the rub; for my .02, CA misses out on the deals. mm

I have not figured out how a FFL holder can ship for about $25.00 and it costs an individual $65.00+ to ship via UPS or FedEx.

The difference in my mind has to be either that:

A. The FFL holder just ships the gun UPS or FedEx without declaring that the package IS a handgun

------OR

B. The FFL holder ships the handgun to another FFL holder on the receiving end via USPS (US Mail) by filing certain USPS forms with the shipment that only FFL holders are eligible to use. (Non-licensee individuals are not eligible to ship handguns via US Mail, as far as I know.)

Other than as noted above, why should/would UPS or FedEx charge a FFL holder less than they would charge an individual/non-FFL holder? They sure are not doing anyone any favors these days.

Inquiring minds wanna know. I'll bet Filmore Coffins knows, but he's probably practicin' his draw right now.

I have not figured out how a FFL holder can ship for about $25.00 and it costs an individual $65.00+ to ship via UPS or FedEx.

The difference in my mind has to be either that:

A. The FFL holder just ships the gun UPS or FedEx without declaring that the package IS a handgun

------OR

B. The FFL holder ships the handgun to another FFL holder on the receiving end via USPS (US Mail) by filing certain USPS forms with the shipment that only FFL holders are eligible to use. (Non-licensee individuals are not eligible to ship handguns via US Mail, as far as I know.)

Other than as noted above, why should/would UPS or FedEx charge a FFL holder less than they would charge an individual/non-FFL holder? They sure are not doing anyone any favors these days.

Inquiring minds wanna know. I'll bet Filmore Coffins knows, but he's probably practicin' his draw right now.

Pretty much "B". FFL's can ship USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium box for Just shy of $11. Private individuals cannot.

UPS requires you as an individual to declare handguns and ship via one of there expensive overnight services as a minimum. FFL's can ship UPS Ground.(cheaper)

Its been my experience USPS insurance is cheaper as well...

How bout the 22 for sale-

if you wanna discuss UPS/FED Ex? USPS

please start your own post

:-)

The over night charges FedX and UPS charge for hand guns is a company policy and has nothing to do with the BATFE federal law. They just want your money and that is the same reason FFL holds want you to ship with them. As long as you are shipping to a holder of an FFL and it is going to the address on his licenses you met the federal law. If your gun is going for repair to someone like Cimarron Arms. It can go in the mail and they can send it right back to your home address after repair.

Any fire arm or replica fire arm made before 1899 fall under different rules. So if you plan to ship your 1860 Army conversion to Bob's gun shop in Noplace Texas. Box it up and tell UPS it is a black powder fire arm and send it ground. The Feds ain't going to be knocking on your door. Just don't send it to a privet address. Never take anyone's word about the shipping address. Be sure you have a copy of the FFL the gun is being shipped to. Read BAFT rules for shipping not the shippers.

Let me kake this clear to everyone.

I ship via an FFL holder, they do not have the California permits, they DON'T want to deal with California bullcrtap.

Life is easier that way.

If you want to trade for my gun let me know, otherwise please stop with the advice :-)

Archived