SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Highwall Tang Rear Sight Question

Muchacho Viejo

OK, I've got the reloading dimensions and details for bullet and case dimensions dialed in for my Winchester (Miroku) High-Wall in .38-55 WCF. And, I have settled on a load receipe for regular use in long distance, single shot, smokeless side matches. Even got them fairly well dialed in with decent groups for 100, 200 yards, and "on paper" at 300 (the longest venue at our local range). Now looking forward to first match side event!

But doggone it, just got the particulars for first shoot where I can enter long distance side match. It calls for targets at 360 and 505 yards. Problem is, the factory tang/peep sight on my rifle has only 91 "clicks" from lowest sight position (right on zero at 50 yards). Each "click" is 1/2 M.O.A. or, 1/2" at 100 yards. Yesterday at the range, I needed 75-80 clicks, depending on strength of tail wind, to get on 12" x 12" target, at 300 yards. That only leaves me about 10 - 15 clicks until I reach maximum height adjustment. Maybe will handle 360 yards? but no where near enough for the anticipated 505 yards! :wacko:

My i-phone ballistics calculator tells me with my reload cartridge, 250 grain cast RNFP bullet, ballistic co-efficient .249, and 1400 fps velocity, I will need 63 minutes of angle, or 126 clicks, to approximate a "zero" sight picture, and hoped for hit at 505 yards. I have only 91 clicks, or 45 minutes of angle available.

What can I do? Just aim high? Look for a "taller" replacement sight? Who makes one?

I sure would appreciate some wisdom from experienced long distance shooters, as to how they handle slow bullets and ranges beyond sight adjustment.

Thanks in advance

I suggest that you talk with Lee Shaver http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok

I have two of his “Economy” sights. One is on a Winchester 1885 like yours but in 45-70 Govt. and one on a Marlin 1895, also 45-70 Govt. They are excellent sights for the money. And you can spend a lot more money on a soul sight. And, Lee is a good guy to do business with.

Several of the higher-end tang sights have a choice of staffs to go in the sight, a mid-range staff and a long range staff. Several of them claim the mid-range staff is tall enough to adjust to about 4-500 yards, and the long range staff is needed past that.

If you have the luxury of replacing the front sight with a shorter one, you can gain back a little adjustment for your longer range shots.

Elmer Keith used to talk and write about holding down on the base of the front sight for some of his long range shooting. I've done that same trick, but you have to memorize that sight picture and shoot practice rounds at the distance your match will be at, because you don't have the advantage of of exact clicks.

You might get away with cutting a spacer block to go under your factory rear sight and raise it a quarter inch or more. That would make it harder to dial in at short range, but might add the extra range you need for this shoot.

Or, you might be able to sneak up to about 1550 FPS without loosing too much accuracy. That would sure shoot flatter.

But, normally, it's time for a taller rear sight.

Good luck, GJ

get a Hadley adjustable eye cup too makes a big difference adjusting for different lighting conditions My 45-90 Winchester 1885 BPCR by Miroku came with very nice Soule type long range sights from a California company that with my paper patched 520 gr slugs and a full case of swiss ff work ok at 1000 the one time I had the chance to shoot a range that long; but I was very near the top of its adjustment and I had to use the full adjustment on both the front and rear sights to get enough windage correction for the wind that day and I still had to use kentucky windage to get on the 3' x 3' target

Go to the Buffalo Arms web site, what you want is a Lee Shavers midrange soule sight for the Highwall. I have one on my Uberti and at 300 yards there is adjustment that would take it out to 700-800 yards easily. It comes with the Hadley eye cup.

Here is the link http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,230.html

TB

I have to second what Boon Doggle says. Call Lee Shaver. His sights are great and resonably priced. I have Lee's sights on several rifles and they are very repeatable. Give him a call and get what you need the first time and get the right sights to make you competitive.

Good Luck & Good Shooting,

Tater

:FlagAm:

You might want to try a shorter front sight???

I have had very good luck with Montana Vintage Arms sights too. http://www.montanavintagearms.com/

I run this one on my Marlin .45-70 and have done very well with it.

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/107_longrange.html

KQ

Thanks to all...Good advice, I'll be looking into a Shaver sourced Soule sight, or a Montana Vintage sight. Might consider one of Shaver's front sights, too, if they seem to be legal for single shot side match?

Not cheap, but....when heavy slow bullets seem to approach the ballistics of mortar rounds, I suppose cheap is not the way to go! :rolleyes:

What can I do?
Viejo, your own calculations have told you what to do ... buy a rear sight with more MOA's. Take that peep sight off and buy a Mid Range 2" vernier that has an ocular and a Hadley cup. Sounds likes you will be shooting silhouette. If that be and you don't have a globed foresight with inserts on the rifle now, your going to need them. Also buy a set of Lee Shaver's silhouette inserts that are diopter scaled for each steel target

PS, a 250gr bullet is going to be too light out to 500yds or meters (which ever). Wind will destroy your accuracy. You need a heavier bullet. I shoot the 320gr remake of the old Ideal 375166 in my 38-55 HighWall and have no issues toppling the Rams @ 500 meters. Did I mention the reloads are black powder and the 42gr charge velocity is only 1087 fps with 94 MOA

Archived