SASS Wire Forum

Rugged Gear Gun Cart Broke

At a match on Saturday the front wheel of my Rugged Gear gun cart broke. Here is a link to the albums with a couple of photos.

Gun Cart Photos

I called Rugged Gear on Monday morning and I had a new wheel at my doorstep on Wednesday when I got home. My hat's off to an OUTSTANDING vendor. :rolleyes:

How did you break it?

Was it folded, in your truck, overloaded, sat upon, or too close to the shotgun targets?

Incurable minds want to know.......... :)

How did you break it?

Was it folded, in your truck, overloaded, sat upon, or too close to the shotgun targets?

Incurable minds want to know.......... :)

It was during the match. It was parked at a stage and when I turned the wheel to go to the next stage it just gave out. It was not overloaded and to the best of my knowledge no one had sat on it. It was behind a building so I don't think any stray shotgun blasts got it either. :lol:

At a match on Saturday the front wheel of my Rugged Gear gun cart broke. Here is a link to the albums with a couple of photos.

Gun Cart Photos

I called Rugged Gear on Monday morning and I had a new wheel at my doorstep on Wednesday when I got home. My hat's off to an OUTSTANDING vendor. :rolleyes:

That doesn't look very "rugged" to me. "Fragile Gear"? :P

Spittoon

I've heard there's a problem with the front wheel if it's left free to turn ("...and when I turned the wheel to go to the next stage"). I keep my wheel locked straight ahaid and haven't had any problems.

Same thing happened to my wife's cart at Railhead last year. ('course it didn't help that I got it stuck and put all 250 pounds of my fat behind into getting it unstuck.) Got the same kind of customer service. I even told them it was my fault. They wouldn't hear of it and sent the new wheel free of charge. That's one FANTASTIC company to deal with.

Same thing happened to my wife's cart at Railhead last year. ('course it didn't help that I got it stuck and put all 250 pounds of my fat behind into getting it unstuck.)

WHAT :o a "feather-lite" like you would have trouble breaking a toothpick :P:lol:

Cheers,

LG

I've heard of quite a few of them breaking in various places, wheels, handles ect. Plastic, flimsy and expensive!!

The only good thing I can see about them is light weight and fold-able.

What a bunch of BS. Before you knock something maybe you should try it first. They are the best cart you can buy-maybe you need to talk to a few folks that own em. I have had about 7 or 8 carts, and the Rugged Gear cart is the best of the bunch. You must be in the business of pushing one of those other brands or something. Our shooting range bought several for the sporting clays range to rent and they have worked perfect for over a year now with every single day usage over very rough desert terrain.

My cart did the exact same thing. They told me they had problems with an older style of front tire, and sent me a updated version, no charge, quick service. I love the cart, and the company stands behind their product.

WOW, haven't seen THAT before :o

Looks like the hub pulled away from the spokes. Better go check mine.

Rugged Gear DOES have great C/S :excl:

Cheers,

LG

We'll test yours out next weekend. (I'll leave mine at home for your test B) )

TF

If you go to Capt. Baylor's blog "Journal of a Gypsy Cowboy" in March you will see pics of his RG that broke smooth in half.

GCK, not everyone likes the RG. I hate mine. Only use it for faraway shoots where travel space in the Versa is at a premium. When I get a larger travel vehicle I will sell that POJ as the first order of business. I look forward to that day.

That said, Long Hunter unloaded a new version at the shoot month or two ago and it just popped up and locked into place. Without having to fool with those infernal "thumb screws" or whatever they call them. Nice earth tone color too.

What a bunch of BS. Before you knock something maybe you should try it first. They are the best cart you can buy-maybe you need to talk to a few folks that own em. I have had about 7 or 8 carts, and the Rugged Gear cart is the best of the bunch. You must be in the business of pushing one of those other brands or something. Our shooting range bought several for the sporting clays range to rent and they have worked perfect for over a year now with every single day usage over very rough desert terrain.

I have tried them....it broke!! I have seen them break. Capt. Baylor's did, Plastic Handle snapped off! Have seen quite a few wheels break on the range! They were originally designed for Sporting Clays shooters, not the weight of stuff CAS shooters end up piling in them! I also know a couple of dealers who spend alot of time getting replacement parts for them! And NO, I make my own carts, don't sell them or represent any company that does! So, I guess if someone answers a post here about a product that's not YOUR Idea of right you will get Personal and start Name calling.......Tale a pill or 15!!

I have tried them....it broke!! I have seen them break. Capt. Baylor's did, Plastic Handle snapped off! Have seen quite a few wheels break on the range! They were originally designed for Sporting Clays shooters, not the weight of stuff CAS shooters end up piling in them! I also know a couple of dealers who spend alot of time getting replacement parts for them! And NO, I make my own carts, don't sell them or represent any company that does! So, I guess if someone answers a post here about a product that's not YOUR Idea of right you will get Personal and start Name calling.......Tale a pill or 15!!

Odd, mine does not have a plastic handle?? I have seen a couple of folks that put way too much pressure on the handle by loading the cart into their vehicle (front wheel and handle taking all the weight-while they lifted the back wheels up) and the push handle hinge has broken (and promptly replaced by RG). Capt Baylor was very happy last couple times we have talked about his RG cart?? So did you own the one that broke for you? Did you get prompt replacement of parts by RG? The RG carts are getting a good share of the market so they must be doing something right. Last monthly shoot I attended, we counted 10 RG carts just on our posse alone. Folks are getting older and pushing a light weight three wheel cart around is a lot easier than a heavy wooden cart.

What's nice about Rugged Gear is that they acknowledge problems and try to fix them. The carts weren't originally designed with the rigors of Cowboy shooting in mind, particularly the four gun carts. The wheels were very light duty spoke wheels. If you look at a bicycle wheel and the one RG originally used you will see the spokes ran straight out from the hub rather than criss-crossing like a proper laced spoke wheel. They had no side to side strength and after being loaded with four guns (sometimes even more), ammo, soda pop and other essential cowboy goodies they simply collapsed. Same problem with the folding plastic handle. Trying to push 80 pounds of gear was to much for them and they snapped at the hinge. RG has since come out with better wheels and the folding handle joint is now reinforced with steel. I love mine. It is an old model with the poly wheels, which are much stronger than the steel spoke models, and since it is a three gun cart the handle is rigid. I leave all my old wooden carts in the garage.

Used a borrowed one in TX last year... liked it so much I bought one and brought it home (airline didn't blink at checking it in its box as a piece of baggage).

Great piece of gear... and I must have the updated one cos it ain't flimsy. Two of us use it so 4-6 long guns plus ammo/drinks etc...

I broke the front wheel lock screw (dumba$$!) by forcing it too hard... but the cart itself has been a great find...

If you go to Capt. Baylor's blog "Journal of a Gypsy Cowboy" in March you will see pics of his RG that broke smooth in half.

GCK, not everyone likes the RG. I hate mine. Only use it for faraway shoots where travel space in the Versa is at a premium. When I get a larger travel vehicle I will sell that POJ as the first order of business. I look forward to that day.

That said, Long Hunter unloaded a new version at the shoot month or two ago and it just popped up and locked into place. Without having to fool with those infernal "thumb screws" or whatever they call them. Nice earth tone color too.

Do you have a link to his blog?

My search foo sucs.....

LG

Do you have a link to his blog?

My search foo sucs.....

LG

I startd typing Journal of a gypsy.... and google had the suggestion before I finished typing. It should come up for you then search his dates for the info.

Great cowgirl picture surrounding his blog these days. ^_^

Link

I startd typing Journal of a gypsy.... and google had the suggestion before I finished typing. It should come up for you then search his dates for the info.

Great cowgirl picture surrounding his blog these days. ^_^

Link

Any idea what month the hinge in his handle broke? Would save a whole lot of reading?

Same thing happened to me. Though the spokes didn't give out like those in your picture, they and the rim did bend way out of shape. The front wheel assembly doesn't like to turn under certain conditions, and if you try to force it hard enough, problems can result. Like you, I talked to the owner of Rugged Gear, explained that the failure was my fault from being impatient and pushing too hard against the resistant wheel, and how much did I need to send him to get a new wheel. He insisted that I did not have to pay for the replacement, or even the shipping costs, and a new tire was in the mail immediately (flat-free tire, to boot). My family has bought 4 carts total from Rugged Gear and this is the only failure we have experienced (they are more patient than me?). We are all extremely pleased with our carts and the service from Rugged Gear. Both highly recommended.

Archived