SASS Wire Forum

Speeding up use of Lyman lube sizer

Iron Pony

Been doing a lot of casting recently, which means a fair amount of lube sizing as well. Since the Star is over at Sixgun’s I’ve been using the Lyman on my bench to do the 44s for my own bullets and want to pass on a simple technique that has sped up my work by a fair amount.

Instead of setting the base of each bullet into the sizing die I’ve found placing the nose of the bullet into the proper top punch and guiding it down into the sizer is much faster. Kind of like your brain/eye combo centering a bead in a peep site my thumb and “finger” finger naturally align the bullet so it slips into the sizer. Any bullet that has that slightly oversize edge at the base pops right in. Nothing gets cockeyed, and I don’t have to fiddle with setting them just so in the sizer die.

With the radio playing in the background 50 round trays seem to fill up a lot faster since adopting this simple change and while the Lyman or RCBS will never be as quick or easy to use as the Star this has made a noticeable speed difference.

With the radio playing in the background 50 round trays seem to fill up a lot faster since adopting this simple change

IP, got a tip for you that is a much faster method. Plus you can go reload your ammo in the meantime also.

Pan Lube them bullets and use you lube sizer for the small specialty jobs. IMHO, using a lubesizer for mass production of hundreds of lubed bullets for use for CAS is an utter waste of time, regardless of how one seats the bullet to the H&I die. In addition, why do the bullets need to sized? CAS ain't Bullseye shooting!

Manual dexterity is not my strong suit, I wonder how many bullets I would get sized before I pinched a finger using that method? Actually, I've not found it challenging nor slow to set the bullet in the sizing die, but I cast bullets that require minimal sizing.

Archived