SASS Wire Forum

45 Cowboy Special Carrier

Anyone tried one. I know they've been available for awhile. Just purchased a 66' SRC in 45LC and was thinking of putting one of Adirondack Jacks Special carriers in it. Let me know what you have experienced with this modification. Thinking of using a 160 gr. bullet as well. Didn't know if this carrier might be bullet weight or OAL sensitive. Thanks in advance for all replies, Clancy.

Anyone tried one. I know they've been available for awhile. Just purchased a 66' SRC in 45LC and was thinking of putting one of Adirondack Jacks Special carriers in it. Let me know what you have experienced with this modification. Thinking of using a 160 gr. bullet as well. Didn't know if this carrier might be bullet weight or OAL sensitive. Thanks in advance for all replies, Clancy.

Howdy Clancy, I just started using one in a .44 special rifle to shoot .44 Russians, so far I like it real well. You will naturally have to use the .45 cowboy special brass to achieve the correct OAL in the .45.

The 160s will work just fine with C45S cases using the Cowboy Carrier. Nominally, the max OAL for the carrier is 1.225 or a shade more, but the shorter 160s give no trouble. The bad news (for now) is the carriers are on back order. Those who use em will tell ya they are worth the wait.

Yep worth the wait,I run the 160 gr. when I run smokeless or a substitute. I have even run the old H&G 185 gr.,SWC, originally intended for the 45 ACP,some of that is dependent on the breach end of the barrel. Their is nothing in the way of bullets that won't feed through the carrier,as Jack is oft to say,Slicker than frog snot on a glass doorknob. Adios Sgt. Jake

Badger converted my '66 in .44 Special to .44 Russian, largely becuause I'm probably an idiot when it comes to endlessly tinkering with guns. I plan to shoot it Saturday in the local match, assuming I can get my butt back to Colorado. I like .44 Russian...got a couple of Taylor/Uberti top-breaks in Russian...we just filmed a bunch of super high-speed stuff for the new series, GUN STORIES, with one of the Taylors...looks 'way cool!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Sixgun Schwaby and I use them in both our 73's (.45 cal) with a 160 grain bullet and love em. Now we can use the same load for pistol and rifle. Only problem is now I have ta buy more brass from AJ (or is that only a problem on my end AJ). ;)

Sixgun Schwaby and I use them in both our 73's (.45 cal) with a 160 grain bullet and love em. Now we can use the same load for pistol and rifle. Only problem is now I have ta buy more brass from AJ (or is that only a problem on my end AJ). ;)

For folks that don't know, RR is a poster child for how to dive in head first when getting started in CAS. Less than 2 years ago she showed up on the scene locally with a desire to get involved in CAS (and to start a local mounted shooting group), and did some very good research. She showed up at my tent at Heluva Rukus with a list in one hand and a smoking credit card in the other. She'd bought a mismatched pair of Rugers and a rifle, had action jobs done on em, and wanted to know all about this stubby .45 cartridge somebody told her would work well in .45s (she needed .45s for mounted, so for ground shooting using the same guns made sense). A champion lady shooter from VT put her onto the Cowboy .45 Specials, and gave her loading data used to win a belt buckle or three.......

In short order RR learned reloading, taught ber better half to reload, and together they made ammo and did a whole pile of practicing. In less than a year of shooting she was knocking at the door of any and all who competed in the ladies wrangler category, and has never looked back. IMHO a good part of that was serious research, dedicated practice, good coaching, and getting herself geared up with the best stuff she could lay hands on. This year will be her second full year shooting, and she's already got herself a belt buckle or three. I leave it to her to decide if buying more brass is a "problem", or just a part of what's needed for success. I know we're right proud of her around here. She's come a long way from the puzzled gal with the list in her hand who didn't know one end of a cartridge from the other less than 2 years ago.......

Thanks so much for your replies. I am convinced that the 45 Cowboy Special is the way to go. I pick up my rifle Monday the 11th. I'll just have to be patient to see it all come together since the carrier and the short stroke kit I want are on back order. Appreciate it, Clancy.

Thanks AJ for the kind words.

COC there is one HUGE benefit that I completely forgot about until last weekends shoot where there was a reload on the clock. These carriers for the shorties (or bambi bullets as we affectionately call em) are the cats a$$ for reloads on the clock or if you jack a shell out and have to reload. Even easier than a Marlin (which I shot for 2/3 of last year).

I was at the CT Bushwackers monthly shoot last weekend and it was 10 rifle and a rifle reload on this gold colored cowboy way back on the side hill amongst the leaves (slightly camoflaged if you will, not at all intentional, <_< ). Anyway I was thinking "Crap, shoulda brought the Marlin." and needless to say I fumbled thru my reload because I hadn't ever had a chance to practice it w/the 73 w/the shorty carrier. So when I get home I tell my better half, Sixgun Schwaby, about the shoot and the reload stage and how I shoulda brought the Marlin. He just laughed and said if ya know how to reload them they are 10 times faster than the Marlin, you just plop the bambi bullet on the carrier over the top (lever open), push down slightly, lever the gun and shoot. You keep it in your shoulder pointed at the target and if you are really good and steady your sights should be right on. Pull the trigger and bang. Well as we all know women USUALLY don't listen to the advice of their better halfs (and for good reason) but seeing as Sixgun has this nasty little habit of jacking shells out w/his 73 he has become shall we say quite proficient in his reloads on the clock, matter of fact he can usually do 2 reloads in the time it takes most people to do one. So I figure he knows what he's talking about and I need to practice this. Last night I practiced it doing a sweep w/5 then a reload on a smaller target we have that sets way back and guess what it WORKS when ya do it that way. Go figure. It really is slicker than snot! I reload from the right while holding the rifle in my shoulder with my left hand on the foreend. Just keep the rifle there, pull the shell from your belt, put it on the carrier w/the lever open and push down a little bit and then lever the gun and shoot. Okay, maybe ya might want to check your sight pic if you want to hit the target. ;) It really is fast though.

Well ....... I've got 6 of them. Put them in all of my .45 Rifles. Henrys, '66 and '73. I use to make my own modified Carrier Block for short cases until I saw AJ's carrier. I immediately switched to the better mouse trap. The '66 is a .44 Spl, so now I can shoot .44 Russian in the rifle. Worth the money.

I shoot .45CS size cases in all the .45s and one .44 Russian, all with 160Gr bullets. They run like grain thru a goose.

Coffinmaker

Archived