SASS Wire Forum

Decent boot for a really fair price

Cabalero Chuck

It has been a tough go to get a pair of boots without spending into extravagance. It would have been much easier to have sprung for some of the Ariats, Justins, or otherwise I have tried on since my first visit to a SASS match a month or so ago.

It isn't too hard to realize that there are so many things that need to be considered and paid for before I could feel even minimully adequately outfitted for this sport.

So, I took a chance on the advertisement that I signed up for from the Shepler Co..

These boots - http://www.sheplers.com/mens/roper_toe/038404.html - fit exactly as indicated.

They have an attractive "distessed" coloration. No one will ever say that the soles are too "grippy" or illegal in any sense.

On top of all that the price was pretty hard to complain about.

For the price,I expected welt construction. Nope. Stitched completely around the sole and nailed on heels.

There is enough of a shelf to support spurs for costume use (riding horses spurs? probably not).

Although certainly not the last word in western boots by far, they will fill the bill for a good while to cover the feet while I give all those other "gotta have s" thier fair due.

Just about every boot I try is too wide. Army gave me 10 Regulars in basic, got to Vietnam ended up wearing 9N jungle boots that fit just fine

Got married in 9.5 c Nacomas. 70 lbs has widened the feet enough the are too tight now. Not really willing to put in enough effort to match my 1973 weight just to get them to fit again

My calves are too thick to wear boots that go up very high. Couple that with wide feet and boots are hard to find. I bought some Ariats cheap off of ebay that fit fine once on, but are a bear to get on. Someone suggesting sprinkling baby powder in them and that helps get them to slide on a bit easier. Thanks for the heads up, we have Sheplers stores here, might be worth a stop in to see if they have some that fit me. For the price, hard to beat.

My calves are too thick to wear boots that go up very high. Couple that with wide feet and boots are hard to find. I bought some Ariats cheap off of ebay that fit fine once on, but are a bear to get on. Someone suggesting sprinkling baby powder in them and that helps get them to slide on a bit easier. Thanks for the heads up, we have Sheplers stores here, might be worth a stop in to see if they have some that fit me. For the price, hard to beat.

Grizz,

These boots aren't real tall and for the price you should be able to take them to a cobbler and have some zippers hidden on the inside panel with a wedge of how ever much material is needed to span those grizzly hankles of yours.

Just a suggestion , but could turn into an inexpensive fix for the "big" crowd.

Chuck I'm going to book mark that page, been looking for a cost effective replacement for some ropers that have given up the ghost after years of service. Look to be about right for casual wear and the bike.

Grizz,

These boots aren't real tall and for the price you should be able to take them to a cobbler and have some zippers hidden on the inside panel with a wedge of how ever much material is needed to span those grizzly hankles of yours.

Just a suggestion , but could turn into an inexpensive fix for the "big" crowd.

Aren't zippers frowned upon? Just say'in, theres been some threads asking about approved stuff lately.

Grizz, I went ta buy new Ariats and had a helluva time gittin' the right fit for my fat foot with a high instep. Couldn't get the right size on and the one I could get on was too loose in the toe and heel. Simple fix was to stretch the boot in the right spot, took them about an hour while me and the bride went to lunch across the street. Slipped 'em on and swore they were custom made for me. No loss in the stretch since I bought 'em in Oct of ought9.

Ya might find a shop that can do that fer ya........

hOOt :FlagAm:

Ariat Lacers in 12 EE fit my big duck feet jes fine!

For my money, Ariats: Lacers, Ropers, watevah, are just the thing.

Another place to check for boots that are much less expensive is at bargianoutfitters.com . they frequiently have over runs, and a lot of the big names are there. Everything from work boots to dress and thier inventory changes all the time. The prices are usually from 50 to 75 % less than normal prices.

Aren't zippers frowned upon? Just say'in, theres been some threads asking about approved stuff lately.

Zippers are fine, can't nobody see em anyhow. Fact is boots are not required except for the two costume categories, Classic Cowboy and B-Western. Minimal dress can be a simple as a pair of jeans, long sleeve shirt, and a pair of leather shoes. There were alot more than just cowboys, there were bartenders, cobblers, blacksmiths, sod busters, train conductors,....etc....etc. In fact I've never worn a pair of boots, I dress as a real estate tycoon. :D There are a couple of top shooters that shoot bare footed :o . The hat Waimea was asking about ih the other thread looks fine to me, sorta like an outback style. :) Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Zippers are fine, can't nobody see em anyhow. Fact is boots are not required except for the two costume categories, Classic Cowboy and B-Western. Minimal dress can be a simple as a pair of jeans, long sleeve shirt, and a pair of leather shoes. There were alot more than just cowboys, there were bartenders, cobblers, blacksmiths, sod busters, train conductors,....etc....etc. In fact I've never worn a pair of boots, I dress as a real estate tycoon. :D There are a couple of top shooters that shoot bare footed :o . The hat Waimea was asking about ih the other thread looks fine to me, sorta like an outback style. :) Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Thanks for the post, I appreciate a sensible answer and I would go along with all of the things you're saying. The zipper thing is staying in my head because someone ridiculed them somewhere along the line and it stuck with me.

I've bought all of my "costume" and guns and tried to stay within the rules of the hand books. I imagine that if someone has an issue, I'll tell them to get a tissue. ;)

RHL, there are often a few people who will hold a hard line, and one that isn't necessarily based on the rule book. I've had a few mention something to me, I chose to believe they were joking with me and I laughed it off. I think I came back with something like "my eye glasses aren't either, but you don't want me shooting without them." If they persisted at a big match I reckon I'd ask them to take it to a match official if they felt so strongly about it.

I'm never gonna win for my shooting, nor win best dressed or most authentic, I mean if you really wanted to nit pick me you could complain about the belt loops on my jeans, I use braces (suspenders) to hold them up and no belt when I shoot cowboy, but I'm not going to cut them off just to satisfy someone with a burr in their saddle blanket over authenticity.

Grizz

Archived