SASS Wire Forum

Norinco/ Winchester 1897 Shotgun

Turkey Creek Vic 80846

I just found out that a supplier has stop importing the Norinco 1897 shotgun. ATFE has banned the import. Will a USA manufacturer make one? Who will take this to court? What is next? :angry:

I may be wrong, but I believe I.A.C. is still importing good 97's made at the same factory as the Norinco.

But I have also heard that since there was a backlog of unsold guns, they may have stopped making them for a while.

http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

97 For Sale

Another for Sale

I don't think there's been a "Norinco" imported in YEARS.

Fillmore

I don't recall where I read it (The Highroad, Graybeard, CAS City ... ?), but there were plenty of 97's manufactured in '09 that were more than sufficient to meet demand. Maybe they did their jobs too well. That's why you won't find any with a "10" prefix on the serial number, even now in '11. The one I got a few weeks ago is a "09".

The only '97 on the ATF - DOJ hit list is the trench gun model. "No sporting purpose" due to the heat shield & bayonet lug.

The NRA's National Rifleman magazine has been following this for six months or so. According to the articles, the Chinese '97s were stopped last year and then approved for import in February.

Winchester made over 900,000 of the '97s from 1897 to 1955. They can be found in decent shape for under $500.

The 97 Trench Gun is indeed very much on ATF's hit list along with the Saiga box mag shotguns and possibly the 28 gauge Judge.

If you want a trench gun, better get it while the gettin's good.

IAC. Norinco. All heavy industry is owned and operated by the PLA. Doesn't matter what the front company is called.

The NRA's National Rifleman magazine has been following this for six months or so. According to the articles, the Chinese '97s were stopped last year and then approved for import in February.

Winchester made over 900,000 of the '97s from 1897 to 1955. They can be found in decent shape for under $500.

===============

Actually there were over 1,100,000 mfg and the last was made in 1957. I have one that is only 350 numbers short of the last serial number mfg.

Archived