SASS Wire Forum

Is My Hat Illegal?!?

Waimea

I'm not being a hysterical fanatic. It's just the rules. It's what SASS is. It's why I joined and why I like it.

Please see Allie Mo's response above from the shooter's hand book: "...all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

She relates:

"Following is the spirit of SASS costuming from page 3 of the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

Aunt Jen

My apologies, ma'am, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were. The handbook guidelines on costuming are just that, with the exception of B-Western & Classic Cowboy/girl, guidelines. Since there's no penalty associated with costuming (again, with the aforementioned exceptions), how's it a "rule"? I've read the "rules", a fair number of times... we've made a number of significant strides in both their clarity and appropriateness. But, I've yet to see them state that costuming be solely of western U.S. type or style. If I was to wear my beret, made of wool and in the same manner and style as an 1890's sailor's, does that not pass muster? (Ok, it's missing the little ribbon in the back...) What about a 19th centuryBasque sheperd from Wyoming? I figure he mighta wore distinctly different headgear. Are we so culturally egotistical that we fail to remember we're "the Great American Melting Pot?" For our edification: A Great Australian Icon, and I

For 130 years Akubra has been making its famous fur felt hats. The Akubra name is synonymous with the landscape of outback Australia, and our unique hats form an important part of the Australian national uniform. In the modern era Akubra Hats still form an important part of the national culture, being worn by the hard working men and women on the land...

I suspect if we bend the guidelines to allow the straw version of our "cowboy" hat, a similar courtesy should be extended to their "drover's"!

I ain't sayin' ya can't rib 'im; I sure took enough on my trip downunder.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never come up to someone and criticize their best effort. But, you seemed to be asking for opinions as well as legality, so I'll give you mine...If thats the best hat you can do, then wear it with pride. But, if you can come closer to "cowboy" and to making others more comfortable I think my mother would say look for another hat.

I like that opinion and point of view.

Blastmaster

Look at mine ;)

:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Too much gun smoke to get a clear view!

You're gonna have to load up the guns and try again with the wind out of a different direction. :lol:

Too much gun smoke to get a clear view!

You're gonna have to load up the guns and try again with the wind out of a different direction. :lol:

'figgered that was a comin' :lol:

I gotta say two things.

1. A few folks have mentioned going with no hat at all. One time I was shooting a practice round with no hat. Levered my '73. Spent .32-20 went up, came down, and tucked itself between my glasses and my eye. Luckily, it was the closed one. Since then, I never shoot my cowboy, or any guns, hatless.

2. Looking at the pics, I have to say that while I would not wear one myself, what's so horrible about a hat with feathers in it? I am curious. Anyone know the reasoning?

The guy currently sitting in the White House is there legally. (I think.) But that certainly don’t make him the best choice.

My apologies, ma'am, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were. The handbook guidelines on costuming are just that, with the exception of B-Western & Classic Cowboy/girl, guidelines. Since there's no penalty associated with costuming (again, with the aforementioned exceptions), how's it a "rule"? I've read the "rules", a fair number of times... we've made a number of significant strides in both their clarity and appropriateness. But, I've yet to see them state that costuming be solely of western U.S. type or style. If I was to wear my beret, made of wool and in the same manner and style as an 1890's sailor's, does that not pass muster? (Ok, it's missing the little ribbon in the back...) What about a 19th centuryBasque sheperd from Wyoming? I figure he mighta wore distinctly different headgear. Are we so culturally egotistical that we fail to remember we're "the Great American Melting Pot?" For our edification: A Great Australian Icon, and I

I suspect if we bend the guidelines to allow the straw version of our "cowboy" hat, a similar courtesy should be extended to their "drover's"!

I ain't sayin' ya can't rib 'im; I sure took enough on my trip downunder.

Judging by the variety shown in the images here: A treaties on hats in cowboy movies the Drover shown in the link you provided is well within the range of what could be found in the American West. I think the issue is with the mesh crown. It clashes with both (our concept of) how folks in the west dressed,and the look in the movies and TV (until recently). The examples you cited, the sailor and the Basque, wold be perfectly reasonable, if not particularly common. Well, sailors you would have seen in port cities. And Basque shepherds, well, this says it better than I can:

Los Angeles became the center of the Basque community in California in the 1840s and remained its largest settlement through the late 1800s. By 1886, about 2,000 Basques lived in Los Angeles, and the city's downtown area had a distinct Basque district, complete with Basque boardinghouses and handball courts. Many southern California place names are of Basque origin. As Basques increased their herds, however, the California ranges became crowded. By 1870, Basques began to spread into northern California and also Nevada, where gold and silver strikes had created a booming economy and an increased demand for sheep to feed the new miners. During the 1890s, Basques moved into Oregon and southern Idaho. By 1910, Basques had spread into all the open-range areas of the West.

Read more: Basque Americans - History, Modern era, The first basques in america, Significant immigration waves, Settlement patterns http://www.everyculture.com/multi/A-Br/Basque-Americans.html#ixzz1It1ybIAr

All that said, there are some parts of the country that a ventilated crown makes a whole lot of practical sense. If he is willing to take ribbing from his friends, and likely give back some, more power to him.

Hey!

Take Aunt Jen's idea to a new level... buy a traditional hat w/o the mesh and shoot it full of holes!

Good idea? OK, I'm probably reaching a bit there, eh?

:D

Here's the thing: they are your pards. If they didn't like you then they wouldn't wool ya around. Heck, I got a dozen or so cowboy hats and some of them get me ribbed purdy good. One gal cannot unnerstand why my favorites are fallin' apart palm leafs with big splits atop the creases that let air circulate. Took many years of shoots to get such "integrity" wore into them hats. That kind of hat ya jist cain't go out and buy. Heck I came back from EOT about 5 year ago with a gen you wine Colorado Mt Hat Co "Open Range" 100% beaver that Smitty personally fit to me punkin haid. Set me back several hundred yankee dollars. Me pards still wooled me around about that 'un and do to this day!!!

I can see where you would like that hat because of the ventilation. Good on ya that ya gonna get a more appropriate one. Whatever ya give for that lawn mowin' hat I betcha kin git a real cowboy hat cheaper. I have some factory seconds only cost 20 bucks at the western store. You can probly get a good un for 5 bucks or so at the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Hey!

Take Aunt Jen's idea to a new level... buy a traditional hat w/o the mesh and shoot it full of holes!

There ya go :lol:

RHL pard - I think your gonna start a new trend!

There ya go :lol:

RHL pard - I think your gonna start a new trend!

Maybe a new stage?

This would be the first stage where you could get zapped with a P if you don't shoot through two sides of the crown/top and a "double P with a twist" if you ventilate the brim. :P

Then auction it off on ebay for club funds. See I'm just full of.... _______. :D

If ya raz me 'bout my hat be'n legal, I might ask ya if you think a fat lip would be legal. The OP is too tolerant.

;-)

prs

Dang. If I punched everybody who ribbed me over the years, I'd have spent a lot of time in the jailhouse or hospital. :blink: :blink:

If ya raz me 'bout my hat be'n legal, I might ask ya if you think a fat lip would be legal. The OP is too tolerant.

;-)

prs

Why would you want a fat lip? ^_^ .....:P

Have you ever been in a group where you don't know if they're joshin' with you or not?

Well it happened to me on Saturday at a shoot.

I am not a "hat person" so to find one I can even tolerate on my head is a big deal.

Anyway, I heard someone say "Hey Waimea, that hat's illegal". (Hearing is another big deal. I only catch about half of what folks are sayin because of ... well ... there's big loud noises going on and I got spoungy ear plugs shoved so far into my ear canals that I believe they touch each other.)

That got the ball rolling and pretty soon they started callin' my hat a Shady Brady.

It went on for a few stages with threats of Stage DQ's for improper equipment etc.

I believe someone mentioned hangin' too but it never came to that.:P

Anyway, I went googlin today and found pictures of Shady Brady hats

Did you know that Shady Brady is actually a brand of hat? I did not until today. So if'n you really do learn somethin' new everyday, that's mine for today.

Here's a picture of the offending hat.:blush: BTW I have been wearing this hat for almost a year now.

So is my hat REALLY illegal or was the group just a funnin' with me?

Another vital piece of information is that I was shootin 49r not b-western or classic cowboy.

Waimea (who may need to change his alias to Hatless Hombre)

:FlagAm:

Well you don't even have to wear a hat at all. Only two categories require a hat at all times B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Yes your hat is illegal. I sometimes wear an Irish eight piece hat and get some ribbing. But that cap has been around for over 500 years and was quite common throughoutt he U.S. in the 1800's. Most of the hats you see in SASS are Hollywood and don't even come close to the real thing. Your hat is okay for fishing, cook outs and booing democrats. I would change hats.

Hud McCoy

Waimea, OK, OK so the hat's fine. Now, about those boots.................?????????????????????

Sam

I ain't wearin' that hat no more....

....If necessary I will go without shoes. (seen it at Last Stand)

But if somebody starts checkin' for button fly pants, I'm gone.:lol:

Waimea

Hey!

Well! I think a hat looks good with bullet holes in it! :D And it's very practical: It's ventillated. It can be carried by putting a finger in the hole.

Well (again): you can't carry much water in it if it's got holes in it. But then, I've never been much into drinking from my hat, anyway. :P

Aunt Jen

Your hat doesn't look authentic or even fantasy western, I wouldn't wear it, it looks "goofy". That being said I don't know that you even have to wear a hat shooting 49er. Someone prove me wrong.

Fillmore

ahhahhahahaha.........key word GOOFY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Funny...question was...is his hat legal.

Yes

That's all that matters. Not whether someone likes it or not.

Or are we all gunna start criticing what others wear? Shall we start with some of the dumb looking pants? Boots? Scarfs???? How'z about silly looking braces or gawdaful pins and buttons?????

Oy!

Phantom

Well said! I agree 100%!

Stick to the matter. Is it illegal? Yes.

Why? Because it's not a Cowboy hat.

It looks like it came from Banana Republic or San Francisco.

The hat you show is a Mesh Outback Hat.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&biw=1003&bih=585&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Mesh+Outback+Hats&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

;-)

prs

Legal depends if you have a fat lip or if you want to give someone a fat lip.

As for me, it ain't raz. I like and respect Waimea, he's a good pard, but it's just a poor choice of hat.

There are so many others to choose from that would be considered Cowboy or at the least could be considered a hat from the 1800s - like say a Derby.

And besides, he asked our opinion.

Is that Nylon mess or straw on the top? Just my opinion but I got into this sport cause it's a shooting sport that also keeps the old west alive. If people don't want to play cowboy there is plenty of other shooting sports out there that they can wear whatever they want in. I just call it like I see it.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I think it's a great choice for a hat... if ya use hats fer siftin' flour. It does look like somebody has took a shotgun to it. Kinda don't it?

ts

Is that Nylon mess or straw on the top? Just my opinion but I got into this sport cause it's a shooting sport that also keeps the old west alive. If people don't want to play cowboy there is plenty of other shooting sports out there that they can wear whatever they want in. I just call it like I see it.

...how'z B-Western workin for ya?

NCOWS anyone?

Archived