SASS Wire Forum

Is My Hat Illegal?!?

Waimea

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny...question was...is his hat legal.

Yes

That's all that matters. Not whether someone likes it or not.

Or are we all gunna start criticing what others wear? Shall we start with some of the dumb looking pants? Boots? Scarfs???? How'z about silly looking braces or gawdaful pins and buttons?????

Oy!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Richard Petty is cool - I would bet that if he showed up at a match with his hat - nobody would care ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

i bought that very same hat at k-mart

back when richard did NOT have the face wrinkles

still would not wear it to a CAS match, but thats just me

wait

yes I would, before I wore the fishing hat that started this wole funny post :lol:

(Tryin hard to win you over, Aunt Jen. You, too, UB)

Waimea

Not gonna happen. Try as I might, I just cain't get by the mesh :lol:

GOOBER! That was the word I was thinking of.... (of course in that instance, Goober was RIGHT to Call a P on Barney! :lol::lol::lol:

Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest! I hereby, as a citizen of the town of Mayberry and the United States of America, arrest you!

So it looks like the consensus is that the hat in question is legal, with a large percentage stating that while legal, it ain't really "cowboy". I wouldn't tell other people what to wear or not. We each have our own situation and I wouldn't spend much time judging hats. There is plenty of right/wrong questions in the world if you feel the need to address something.

Now let me tell you a story about what you wear or don't wear.

When I was in elementary school in the 1960s my mother always forced me to wear a dress shirt, long pants and be what she deemed presentable for a trip to town (45 minutes away) for shopping a couple of times a month. We didn't have running water or a bathroom in the house, but she scrubbed me in a washtub if I needed it when I was too young to do it myself and cut my hair with scissors because we couldn't afford a barber. Generally, she did what she could to raise a man instead of a savage. One day I bucked up and said, "Why do we have to show off for those town people, why can't I just wear what I had on to hoe corn?"

She just looked at me for a minute and then said, "We aren't showing off for those people, we're showing respect for them. Thats what good people do, they make an effort to make other people feel comfortable."

I would never come up to someone and criticize their best effort. But, you seemed to be asking for opinions as well as legality, so I'll give you mine...If thats the best hat you can do, then wear it with pride. But, if you can come closer to "cowboy" and to making others more comfortable I think my mother would say look for another hat.

Don't see no purpose in busting a pard's chops about his hat. Got better things to do. People that DO seem to have time for such foolishness need to find more productive things to do.

Big Ole +1 to that sentence.

Ribbing from your friends is one thing, comments from jaspers might just open the door to some of their... inadequacies. ;)

I've seen some of the hysterical (historical) hats that are downright goofy looking.

Hat's legal but ...

....Maybe just not as cowboy as it should be.

The pards I ride with are a great bunch of cowboys and cowgals. :wub:

I don't believe they are projecting any inadequacies of their own onto me.

My guess is that they just got tired of me looking like a dork but they were too nice to say it. :lol: (It's what I suspected all along)

I tend to walk to the beat of a different drummer so sometimes I just need a reality check.

Time to go out and find a REAL cowboy hat.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Waimea

You could just take on a new name, kind of an Irish/French thing (Hey, they both hate the English, right?) - Shea d'Brady. :lol:

Hat's legal but ...

My guess is that they just got tired of me looking like a dork but they were too nice to say it. :lol: (It's what I suspected all along)

I tend to walk to the beat of a different drummer so sometimes I just need a reality check.

Waimea

King Richard is probly the only one could wear a hat like that and not get beat up, esp. around a bunch of redneck NASCAR fans!

BTW, I wouldn't worry about the hat. Tell 'em you just got off the ship from Melbourne or been on safari with Teddy Roosevelt. I won't mention any names, but somebody wore an astronaut suit to EoT some years ago and didn't get tossed. I'd say your hat is much more "cowboy" than that.

JHC

You got that right!! :D

i bought that very same hat at k-mart

back when richard did NOT have the face wrinkles

still would not wear it to a CAS match, but thats just me

wait

yes I would, before I wore the fishing hat that started this wole funny post :lol:

Well although you ain't Richard Petty...to take a line from Caddyshack:

" Anyone who would wear a hat like that should get a free bowl of soup.....OH, it looks good on you though" :lol:

Waimea, I can't tell from the picture, is that mesh nylon or straw? If it's nylon the hat isn't legal.

SHB p. 26 in the "Outlawed" section: Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

Also in the Outlawed section it says: Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys). Straw hats of traditional design (e.g.,

Stetson, Bailey, sombreros,) are acceptable.

That hat isn't "traditional design" in my opinion. While my opinion doesn't matter, that of a match director does. That hat is sitting squarely on the line between legal and illegal, and if a MD declared it illegal I don't think anyone would buck him.

Save yourself some possible trouble... shoot uncovered.

Actually pard as I recall on that stage we were all ribbing someone else about something and then you joined the fun too. It was then that yer hat came up, in the ribbing that is :blush: . I don't think that anyone was serious, I know I wasn't... If you want a new one great, if not...maybe from time to time you get ribed a bit. Heck they rib me all the time for all kinds of stuff :P

I wouldn't worry about it unless you want a new hat.

-Deadlee

That hat is illegal in the 49er class. Why, you ask........because that's the class I shoot :o Seriously though, don't worry about the hat. We only are funnin with ya (we wouldn't if we didn't like ya). Now about them boots.............

Sun

I like the hat in question - keep wearing it.

Hey Buck, citizens arrest citizens arrest. Good one, made me laugh pretty hard.

The hitting a pheasant at 60mph comment was hiliarious and yet so accurate. hahahahaha

Hat's legal but ...

Waimea

There ya go. :lol:

Actually pard as I recall on that stage we were all ribbing someone else about something and then you joined the fun too. It was then that yer hat came up, in the ribbing that is :blush: . I don't think that anyone was serious, I know I wasn't... If you want a new one great, if not...maybe from time to time you get ribed a bit. Heck they rib me all the time for all kinds of stuff :P

I wouldn't worry about it unless you want a new hat.

-Deadlee

A danged good excuse fer buyin a new hat, I'd say.;)

Disclaimer: No pard was offended by any remark at the shoot about his possibly illegal non-SASS hat. Hopefully, no pard from the shoot was offended by this thread.

Waimea

If you looked anything like one of the three cowpokes in the upper left hand photo in your link, no one would care.

They wus warin' hats? I better go for another look...

Olen :wub:

Don't discard it though. Looks like a great lawn mowin hat. :lol:

Funny...question was...is his hat legal.

Yes

That's all that matters. Not whether someone likes it or not.

Or are we all gunna start criticing what others wear? Shall we start with some of the dumb looking pants? Boots? Scarfs???? How'z about silly looking braces or gawdaful pins and buttons?????

Oy!

Phantom

I have to say that SASS and CAS is not just a shooting group. Any group of great folks can go out and shoot at steel. SASS is about doing it from the perspective of and to help connect with the Old West. It's part of our heritage as Americans. It's about cowboys, the prairie, etc., in the 1800s or so.

The costuming is a significant and definite part of it. Indispensible.

I truly like the group, and I don't want to offend, but I feel I have to speak up and say that if we start thinking that anything goes, that whatever is okay, then we'd lose that heritage, historic, connection to the Old West, and drift into just being some eccentric group of folks who shoot single-action, but without our theme, without a serious part of our goal.

In my view, it is not with the theme of it to wear just any clothes that are legal. It's about being cowboy, the 1800s, the old west, the prairie: our history.

When I go out there and I see modern carts, modern clothes, etc., then I feel it's losing its connection, becoming just another club that exists---for what? Just firing?

Seriously: I do believe that the costuming is as important as the cordiality, as the guns, as the firing, as the competitions. Just as much.

Wearing modern attire, not-period attire, is not the spirit of the sport.

Aunt Jen

I just have to wonder where y'all draw the line?

I read A LOT of these threads. Some of the members will chastise someone for not wearing a hat, or their boots aren't period correct, or some other issue but proclaim that they can't get in/out of button-fly pants so they're wearing modern zipper pants, etc...

I read A LOT of these threads. Some of the members will chastise someone for not wearing a hat, or their boots aren't period correct, or some other issue but proclaim that they can't get in/out of button-fly pants so they're wearing modern zipper pants, etc...

Howdy RHL,

I think you will find zipper jeans very common in B-Westerns.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well, I don't think anyone is trying to draw a hard line. I know I don't want to. Hardly any costume is totally, perfectly Old West. And we've made concessions to such things as safety glasses and ear protection (of course). Even shaded, modern-looking ones. I wear shaded safety glasses, too, and ear plugs. Often when pants are worn, they're not exact replicas of what was worn back then. Regular cowboy boots are bought and worn, not necessarily period. Modern cowboy hats are often bought, not just period-correct. Partly due to availability of materials or clothing items. Partly because early, old western movies play a part in what we're doing. Lots of reasons. I've never heard of anyone worried about someone else's zip fly vs. buttons.

But with only a very small effort, a lot can be done to approximate the Old West styling for SASS/CAS. There are numerous places on the web to buy "period" clothes, and cowboy hats can be bought very cheap at most western wear stores. I personally and purposefully wear a very cheap one, so it'll look more authentic after it wears down a bit, instead of my really great and expensive one. Instead of jeans, one can wear pants that in texture and color approximate what the old west wore. I've never heard anyone complain if someone wears a belt instead of suspenders......

But what if someone says he feels more comfortable in his normal attire he bought at JC Penny, right down to his Keds? He wears them every day, and it suits him? He could say he might trip and fall if he wore boots he's not comfortable with, and that could be a safety issue: tripping while carrying loaded guns...?

There can be any number of reasons someone may use to avoid the period attire. But why? If someone doesn't want to wear period attire, or even something roughly so, then why is he in SASS? If it's because we are such wonderful people---and we are---then would it be so painful to change a few articles of clothing to maintain the spirit of the sport?

The pard, here, asked a reasonable question. He got lots of answers for and against, and he said he would get another hat. Great. That's what the wire is for, and I believe he made a change that is consistent with the sport and shows character. Outstanding. Quite a guy.

Part of what SASS is, to me, is the costuming, to approximate the feel and the experience of the old west. It takes very little effort to buy a few things off the web that do look the part. No one is trying to draw a hard line.

Aunt Jen

Thank you both for the responses.

As I put in a PM, don't get me wrong, all of my gear that I've put together is what would be considered period or at least western movie correct. With my Gus Hat and Boulet boots being the closest things that people could "call out." A person tries for a look, a character, and it isn't going to please everyone.

I do agree that if a person isn't going to make effort to try to get into the spirit of SASS they should probably look at another shooting organization but I'd caution some members about being too critical of others, otherwise we might just be seeing more shooters w/o any hats, (why spend the money?) or pants... not good... not good.

The Zipper was invented and pattened 8 years Before the act of Northern Agression was started against the Genteel Southerners ....

Jabez Cowboy

Following is the spirit of SASS costuming from page 3 of the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

Regards,

Allie Mo

The Zipper was invented and pattened 8 years Before the act of Northern Agression was started against the Genteel Southerners ....

Jabez Cowboy

Dear Jabez,

Early zippers were not anything like those in pants today. They would not have been used in pants if one is going for a late 19th century look. That said, they are legal in SASS costumes due to the Western TV statement.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Following is the spirit of SASS costuming from page 3 of the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Can't dispute what is written Ms. Mo - I agree....without some of those guidelines we would just be 'another' shooting sport (nothing wrong with any shooting sports BTW). Our costuming is part of what sets up apart 'from the pack'. Honestly - we are pretty lenient on the rules of such and I think with what we have in place is fair to new folks getting in the sport and a base for more experienced participants to expand on.

I don't own any Drug-store nor Fancy "Cowboy hats" ,,,,, What I do have and wear are hats with history !!!!

One I won as All-Round Cowboy at the Millerville rodeo some 35+ years ago, that's my dress hat ( also my least comfortable )it is black felt made for the "Calgary Stampede" (made by "Stetson")and donated by them for the Top Cowboy at the Millerville rodeo ...

Two Is a hat of 10X felt that is still black on the underside, but sort of a brownish-black on the topside,,,, it has a semi-soft brim of 3 1/2 inches and what is known up here as a rodeo pinch crown ... It has been on my head for 30+++ years, pushing ,roping ,branding , doctoring and just plain working Cattle for many miles .... It has covered my head while Guiding hunters in 4 provincies and 2 territories through wind,rain and a lot of mud and snow ... The stains were earned through honest work done by this Crippled Cowboy ..... A while ago I started to notice that it looked a lot like the DISREPITUTBLE hats wore by the Cowboys in the old photos of those working Cattle here on the Northern Plains ...

And strangely like my Mom's dads every-day hat he wore on his Ranch .....

Three I inherited from an old Cowboy/Rancher and was his "going to town" hat he wore for 60 years before his death ... 10 years ago..

It is a grey hat with-out a lot of stains ... With a stiff rolled brim of 3 1/2 inches and a higher crown than I really like ...

Jabez Cowboy

Wearing modern attire, not-period attire, is not the spirit of the sport.

Aunt Jen

I'll agree with that. But... have to add, this ain't NCOWS; hysterical fanaticism on the part of historical accuracy is not needed. If that's your thing, ok; but don't foist that view off on everyone else. It's the "Single Action Shooting Society", referring to the main firearm distinguishing us from other forms of the shooting sports; not mindedness or view. I recall a very nice gentleman that said,and I'm paraphrasing from memory, "...I ain't ever been, wanted to be, or dreamed of being a cowboy." Every time I saw him shoot, he was wearin' stripped overalls, "welllington type" work boots and an engineer's cap. Was he out of sync with what eveyone else thought? Probably; but did he look like an 1880's railway engineeer? IMO, No, his coveralls were ALWAYS clean & neat! But, was he in the "spirit of the game?" I think yes.

Very, very few of us dress 100%; 100% OF THE TIME. I certainly didn't start out that way; in fact, I distinctly remember the Judge coming up to me and commenting on my attire about a year after I started this game. It rankled a little, he77 I'd BEEN a cowboy, a horseshoer, mucked stalls for a living... but, I listened, and knew enough history to know the modern cowboy (buckaroos are a different story), has only enough look about him to give the uninitiated an impression of a 19th century cowboy.

And, finally, having had to quit in the middle of a shoot due to over-heating (heat index over 115º), I ain't about to criticize a shooter for wearin' headgear that allows air circulation and ain't on the list of "outlawed items". Period. And just 'cause parts of north western Oregon got >6" of snowyesterday, don't mean southern Florida ain't already a sauna!

Edited to add: And I don't mean to infer that NCOWS is, in any way, hysterically fanatical on the part of historical accuracy; but they do set the bar a lot higher than SASS.

Howdy

No, there is nothing wrong with your hat. Yes, Shady Brady is a brand. Yes, the rule is a little bit misleading. No, your hat does not have to be absolutely historically accurate, I have seen plenty of hats like yours at matches.

This is what the rule is talking about. Modern feathered cowboy hats. The handbook is loosely defining this as a Shady Brady. If your hat looks like you hit a pheasant while going 60 mph on a motorcycle, leave it home. Don't show up in one of these.

Hat

If the KING ever showed up to shoot at our club, he could wear that hat any time he wanted to :lol: just saying, from a Carolina boy that grew up about a mile from his house(and he and his wife both are some neat down home people)

I'll agree with that. But... have to add, this ain't NCOWS; hysterical fanaticism on the part of historical accuracy is not needed. If that's your thing, ok; but don't foist that view off on everyone else....

I'm not being a hysterical fanatic. It's just the rules. It's what SASS is. It's why I joined and why I like it.

Please see Allie Mo's response above from the shooter's hand book: "...all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

She relates:

"Following is the spirit of SASS costuming from page 3 of the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

Aunt Jen

Archived