SASS Wire Forum

bad news for my marlin

MMJ#89586

Well I tried different bullets for my 45 lever action. They didn't jam as bad but did jam. Plus it wouldn't eject the round, they just stuck in the chamber. Called cabelas and they said they'd send it in for me. They said this was the second one with problems like this. :(

MMJ:

one of the biggest culprits (gremlins) for the Marlin to feed smoothly is partially due to extractor stiffness and rough edges.

One of the problems associated with good extractions from the chamber is due to the extractor not sitting well on the case rim AND, the way the case rim sits at that 'scalloped' area on the rifle where the extractor slides into when the action is closed.

On mine, I tweak the extractor, smooth up those sharp edges and I relieve some of that 'scalloped' area where the extractor goes when the bolt is closed. Actually, on 2 of my better Marlins, I have them modified to where the extractor doesn't leave its contact with the rim. In other words, the extractor doesn't push off the rim area when the bolt is closed. So far, this has given me 100% total extraction reliablity. (knock on wood)

I hope Marlin can get your rifle back to you in good condition. They can be made to run fast and virtually flawless. And the .45's are some of the easiest to run smooth and fast.

Best regards

..........Widder

My happy Marlin feeds the 45 Colt

http://www.youtube.c...u/4/KMaXq-BK0aw

and she feeds the 45 Schofield

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/uNwa1N04fuI

It will all get worked out pard ~ just a wee bump in the road ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Don't get discouraged, the Marlin is a fine rifle. Not all of 'em can be perfect out of the box though.........kinda like cars. Most of the time ya get a good one, sometimes not. You'll get er done B)

Is it a new rifle?

Yes brand new bought it last Friday. Took it back to cabelas today, the Guy there said they've shipped a few back. He also said that the repair time is pretty quick, and they have noticed a difference since Remington has taken over.

Take some comfort in this, my .357 Winchester Lever action does the same thing. When I get my new SS 92 from NKJ I'm sending the Winchester and a Puma to Steve for action jobs.

Stay strong buddy, we're with ya! Someday you and I will have years of SASS under our belts and these gun stories to look back and laugh at.

YuP since the "new" Marlins started comming out............... The problems started comming hard and fast ...

Jabez Cowboy

When did the new marlins start coming out?

I was told by a Georgia dealer that the Marlins coming from Cabelas are from existing parts and that Remington will not start producing new Marlins from their N. Carolina plant until sometime this fall. I don't know if this is "Gospel", it's just what I heard.

I got tired of cleaning my guns after every cowboy shoot i attended so i switched to smokeless powder.

Not cleaning my Marlin after every shoot soon led to feeding problems.

After a complete disassembly and thourough cleaning my feeding problems were eliminated.

elfego :FlagAm:

I Recall a visit to a back woods gunsmith back in the 1950s with my dad (he was really the local fix it guy and blacksmith but he fixed everything from a broken toaster to making a new firing pin on an old sears lathe) most of his gun work was shotguns and lever action rifles and most of the rifles were 30-30s he had a pile of dummy rounds that he had made with the brass and slug of all of what was then sold as commercial ammo and he would run that mixed batch through to function test his repair... Not sure why that memory has stuck with me perhaps because it was the first time I ever saw a metal lathe in use.

A brief report on two new Marlins from Cabelas:

A good pard of mine just took delivery of two Marlin carbines in .357 from Cabelas. Both of them needed a little work on the lever to cycle properly (an edge that wasn't fitted properly on the levers made them almost impossible to close). One of the riles runs like a champ after putting in a spring kit. It did have a few dings near the front sight. The second gun looked great but had very sticky feeding until we put a different carrier in it. Now it runs perfectly. Regretfully, neither gun was up to specs right out of the box. Luckly my pard is very good at tuning Marlins.

First Rem./Marlin I saw was about a month ago, it was a dealers sample that the Rem. Rep had to show ..... It opened and closed (Cycled) just fine when empty,,,,,,,,,, Then Some brite fellow(Me) suggested that we try running a bunch of "A-Zoom" snapcaps through her ......

Well I loaded the tube up with ten ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Talk about rough !!!!!!!!! but I did get it to feed the first round into the chamber ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I pulled the trigger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And pulled,,,, and some harder,,,,,And Harder ,,,,,, Checked the saftey ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Then I got serious about pulling on that trigger .... Click ,,,, Hey the hammer dropped !!!

Well I though better open her up an try again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pull on lever ,,,,,,,, pull some harder ,,,,,Take her from shoulder ,,,,, pull harder , Harder,Harder,,,,,, No go..... Put brass rod down muzzle and give it a Tap while Rep pulls on lever ,,,,,,, Open ....

The next three where then cycled through the action ,with some trial (read as great effort) till round 5 wouldn't leave the tube ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pulled the tube apart re-covered the snapcaps and called it enough ....

Trigger pull must have been 20 pounds or more .... and Rough !!!!

The next one I saw was in my shop last week (Still here) it will a least function ,,,, trigger pull was 14 + pounds (two trigger pull gauges bottomed at 7 pounds each plus a nudge)and timing and fitting issues ...... And I just bruised my knucle working on it and I am taking a break for a cup of joe .....

And check out what is happening here .... Must get back to this Marlin soon ....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks for the reports.

Wow, Jabez, the quality sure has fallen. Too bad because it is such a nice design when properly executed.

I remember in the late 90's when they came ready to shoot with a change in hammer spring and only the most minor work.

Two of the last three I've handled were unusable out of the book. A dealer friend called and asked if I would look at them. He had sold one and it came back, the guy said it wouldn't feed anything. the dealer said no problem I have another I'll just swap it out. After checking the second one he found out it wouldn't work either. I recommended he send them back but he said fix them if you can. I tried a .357 magnum in the one that had been sold and after firing had to push on a dowel while working the lever to get the action open. The chambers were the roughest I've ever seen and had to be polished, extractors tweaked and many things listed on Marauder's Website done in order to make them usable.

I shoot Marlins and really like them but the quality doesn't seem to be what it was a few years ago and that is a shame.

Randy

Well that "New" Marlin just walked out the door , with a happy owner ....

I got it to function every time , He couldn't believe the difference in levering the action, The trigger pull is at 58 oz. ...

And I'm happy to get it done !!!

All internals were in need of fitting (one part was welded then reshaped) smoothing, polishing ,,,,,, Springs were reshaped or replaced ..........

How does one charge what the work was really worth,,,,,,,, when it is a new gun and a Cowboy Pard ?????

I sure didn't make my normal rate .......... Better work on that Remmie M-700 .....In for a new barrel ....

Jabez Cowboy

Well that "New" Marlin just walked out the door , with a happy owner ....

I got it to function every time , He couldn't believe the difference in levering the action, The trigger pull is at 58 oz. ...

And I'm happy to get it done !!!

All internals were in need of fitting (one part was welded then reshaped) smoothing, polishing ,,,,,, Springs were reshaped or replaced ..........

How does one charge what the work was really worth,,,,,,,, when it is a new gun and a Cowboy Pard ?????

I sure didn't make my normal rate .......... Better work on that Remmie M-700 .....In for a new barrel ....

Jabez Cowboy

Normal work: about $10

spring replacement: cost + about 8%

Helping out a Pard in desperate needs: PRICELESS!

..........Widder

I have heard about the Rem/marlin on the marlin owners forum, glad I'm not in the market for one, could be that is why the older marlins are going for a higher rate, the new ones are junk right now, hope they get their act together and soon, sounds like most of them are going back, must not be any kind of quality control and that is sad, marlin used to put out a good rifle, since Remington took over, not so good, hope they get their act together

All for now JD Trampas

As I mentioned in a previous post, a pard of mine recently received two .357 carbines from Cabelas and after some work he was able to get them up and running. We had a third carbine ordered from Cabelas, but they declined to ship it because it was in bad shape when they checked it before shipment. That third rifle was suppose to be mine.

On a whim, I called all our local gun stores and located a new Marlin Cowboy in .357 at Benton's Shooting Supply. I went up yesterday and looked it over. It looked fine and levered OK. I asked if I could run some A-Zoom snap caps through it and they were more than happy to accommodate me. It functioned without a hiccup with the snap caps and also cycled my normal loads when I got home. Yes, it's going to need springs and a little work, but I think I got a good one. Thanks again to Benton's for letting me check the gun's function before I bought it.

Marlin's sold by Cabela's are old stock. My SIL just bought a nice 18" carbine in .357 from cabela's. The S/N date code is 2003. This piece cycles 38's like corn thru a Goose.

Some one is cleaning out Wherehouse's some where.

I'll take an old stock Marlin before I'd buy a new model Remlin. ;)

Don't miss-understand me ,,,,,,,,, I like Marlins ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Least those made by Marlin....

The limited number of NEW remmie-tized ones are the ones That don't seem right ....

I have a .45 colt "Cowboy Competition" That works just great out of the box ..... And in light of what's comming down the pipe I do believe I will Keep it !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

As I mentioned in a previous post, a pard of mine recently received two .357 carbines from Cabelas and after some work he was able to get them up and running. We had a third carbine ordered from Cabelas, but they declined to ship it because it was in bad shape when they checked it before shipment. That third rifle was suppose to be mine.

On a whim, I called all our local gun stores and located a new Marlin Cowboy in .357 at Benton's Shooting Supply. I went up yesterday and looked it over. It looked fine and levered OK. I asked if I could run some A-Zoom snap caps through it and they were more than happy to accommodate me. It functioned without a hiccup with the snap caps and also cycled my normal loads when I got home. Yes, it's going to need springs and a little work, but I think I got a good one. Thanks again to Benton's for letting me check the gun's function before I bought it.

Mine would cycle snap caps fine also. Just not real ammo.

The people that made the Marlin Marlin's didn't move with the equipment when they closed New Haven down. there's new people working with it now with no experience with the models/parts. Gonna be a long learning curve and could possibly kill the brand......Buck :blush::angry:

The people that made the Marlin Marlin's didn't move with the equipment when they closed New Haven down. there's new people working with it now with no experience with the models/parts. Gonna be a long learning curve and could possibly kill the brand......Buck :blush::angry:

i for one sure hope that the Brand doesn't pay the price of stupid desissions,I hope they get it figgered out ,,,,,,,,,,,,, soon...

Marlin has made Fine guns in the past here's to hopeing for the same in the future ...

Jabez Cowboy

MJJ,

For rifle I use a 158 gr. fp in a .38 case loaded to an OAL of 1.52. I came up with this load because I had a ton of .38 brass and it worked in a very picky 1892 I started with. I still use this load because it runs well with all my rifles 92, 73s, and Marlins. This load is about the length of a .357 with a 125 gr. rnfp - this load also runs well in all my rifles. I also switched to a Lee Factory Crimp die because I am crimping into the side of the bullet and not the grove. Before I switched, I had a round or two where the bullet got pushed back into the case.

The one Cabela Marlin I mentioned a few posts ago ran great with A Zoom snap caps, but wouldn't chamber my friends .38s loaded with a 125 gr. bullet. He fixed it by puting in a different carrier. His next step, if this had not worked, was to do the Widowmatic modification.

Archived