SASS Wire Forum

Revolver barrel length

Charlie Strong Horse

Sort of. The barrel length isn't in question. There is NO established minimum barrel length.

The Gripframe however, is not legal for a "ground" (non mounted) shooter. You have to fill in the little grooves in the Gripframe.

Coffinmaker

When I first started on SASS I shot Ruger OMV with 3-5/8 inch barrels. I think anything below that is probably not advisable. I prefer my 4-3/4 barrels these days. I know a bunch of shooter with 3-1/2 barrels.

HUd McCoy

SH page 4

• Barrels may be shortened and/or crowned.

SH page 7

• No portion of the grip frame may be checkered, stippled, serrated or otherwise modified to constitute a grip enhancement.

Jefro :ph34r:

When I first started on SASS I shot Ruger OMV with 3-5/8 inch barrels. I think anything below that is probably not advisable. I prefer my 4-3/4 barrels these days. I know a bunch of shooter with 3-1/2 barrels.

HUd McCoy

Longshot Logan occassionally shot a two inch single action.

Longshot Logan occassionally shot a two inch single action.

And his other gun was, IIRC, a Buntline. :D

For those who are relative newcomers, LL was a pard with a sense of humor, Photoshop, and a little too much time on his hands. It was refreshing to see one of his posts after dragging yourself away from a post which had devolved into three pages of argy-bargy. Sadly, he passed a couple of years ago.

The current Ruger Montado's from CDNN don't have groves in the frame anymore. I got a set a few weeks ago and really like them.

With the way my eyes are going the shorter barrels are easier to focus on the front sight then my 4 3/4" guns. These are nice guns!

The back sight has the wider channel and each cylinder hole lines up with the loading gate in the click. Much nicer then my Blackhawk or when I had an Original Vaquero.

Archived