SASS Wire Forum

Monthly matches ain't practice

I get a little frustrated with hearing that monthly matches are just practice. For many shooters out there, its not practice....it is a match. For a lot of them, there are no big matches. The monthly matches are about the only matches that they shoot...for one reason or another.

Good point......I don't think you should run around demeaning the match by saying it is a practice match because like you said for some folks it's a big deal and if they do well you don't want to take away from that. So, I guess you be respectful (like a good cowboy should be) by keeping that to yourself but for me they are more about practice and working on things that I won't risk trying to do in a big match.

Good point......I don't think you should run around demeaning the match by saying it is a practice match because like you said for some folks it's a big deal and if they do well you don't want to take away from that. So, I guess you be respectful (like a good cowboy should be) by keeping that to yourself but for me they are more about practice and working on things that I won't risk trying to do in a big match.

Many clubs use monthly matches to work out the kink's in their annual matches - timing, posse sizes, P traps,

all sorts of stuff that they want to PRACTICE so that when they put on the annual shindig it goes well.

Many shooters use the monthly match to do the same.

Every time you pick up a firearm you should be PRACTICING good safety handling and good shooting techniques.

Every time you shoot in competition you should be PRACTICING everything you know to safely have fun and

try to improve your shooting.

There is nothing demeaning about that - what's demeaning is when you tell someone that the match isn't

important - because for you it's only practice. That is foolish - because practice is very important.

YMMV,

Shadow Catcher

Possum I understand....partially semantics to a degree. i use monthlies to do as T bone teaches, see how fast I can run a stage, furst it can git ugly real easily, but with "practice" yu lurn to keep the wheels from falling off if the start wiggling a bite. Yu have tu be willing to give up a number of monthlies to see how fast yu can actually run. But then of course I taint tellun u nothin.

I wunce got taken to task for saying i was using a special monthly for practice for winter range. U kant please everyone all of the time. sometimes you kaint please a few at all. Life goes on. Life is good, the Afterlife is even better.

Cheyenne

Have heard them say many times. That you have to know where that ragged edge is.

And be able to take it all the way to that very edge, and still hold it on the tracks.

It is fun at some monthlies when him and Nuttin are tuning up for a big match and are

running on that ragged edge.

It is something to watch.

As for me. I have not learned how to take it to the edge and hold it there.

I seem to run it all the way off the tracks. :blink:

So, like is this a rule? Is this your opinion? Are you admonishing someone for presuming to use a monthly as practice?

What's your point? Is someone doing something wrong and you feel a need to publicly correct them? Are you bothered by

something, or are you just trying to set some of us straight?

Frankly - I disagree - I get maybe one or two weekends a month to practice, and the stress of shooting under the clock

is the best training I know of for competition . . shooting holes in paper is a form of self gratification, but it is

NOT a match, and will not teach you anything about how you perform in competition.

So . . thanks for your advice . . I'll respectfully pass on it though.

Shadow Catcher

So, like this is my observation.

It certainly wasn't advice, butt if it was I would most definitely hope you WOULD pass on it.

Possum

Monthlies are whatever you want them to be...

Those that get upset with those that consider them just practice...should consider the fact that those that consider them practice get upset with those that take them too seriously.

Get what ya want outta monthlies...too each their own...ya know?

Phantom (who don't get to practice at all these days...)

:FlagAm:

Monthlies are practice for club annuals. Club annuals are practice for State matches. State matches are practice for regionals. Regionals are practice for Winter Range. And, Winter Range is practice for End of Trail. Then it all starts over. It's part of the circle of life.

Pettifogger....you got a way with words!!!!!

I also agree....I do nothing at home, and only shoot monthly or matches.(and my scores show it!!) BUT...I have fun, and that is my goal!! :)

You get to a certain point in any physical sport and then it becomes mostly a head game. That's assuming you've mastered the basics and don't lose the physical acuity you've gained from prior experiences.

You cannot practice the mental aspects very well on the range...unless, of course, you're Carl Spackler hitting mums at the Masters.

I lost any hope of winning my category at Bayou Blast on the first stage by holstering my left pistol in my pocket. I couldn't get it to stay in so I looked, figured out the problem and then couldn't get it out. Front sight hung. 1st time in 7 years of SASS.

How do you practice for something like that?

Guest diablo slim shootist

For me monthlys are practice for walking around in the daily urban enviroment ;)

Its still the wild west where i live :o

First let me say that possum skinner is one of the nicest and good to shoot with pards around. I think that many of you mistook his posting for some sort of put down and as some one who knows him he does not put people down. Possum will go out his way to help anyone. Smokey Shane is another fine Louisiana Pard who comes from that mould. The idea of a match whether it be a monthly or state is to treat it as such with the same attitude and actions that would be required at any size match and not as a practice session. I feel that was the point being made by possum and the posting by Smokey Shane. I myself am having to cancel several larger matches this year because of medical and financial reasons. Bayou Blast was one that I always attend which is Possum's home club and I ended up in my Travel trailer for three days. Because of this economy many shooters are scaling back. I heard pards just yesterday at a monthly match say that they will be staying at home because of the cost of fuel. A match being held in the north part of Louisiana will cost me over two hundred dollars in diesel alone to attend. Add entry and food cost and you have spent over $500 to shoot for about 7 or so hours.

ok. I'll admit. Monthlies are a little practice. Very little, but a little. If you only shoot monthlies and never practice (other than what little practice a monthly gives) then you will quickly peak and you will NOT improve any further. Just look around at some of your local shooters who have attended pretty much every local match for years that are no better shooters than they were years ago. (Disclaimer: It's perfectly ok for them to only come to shoot to have fun and never get better)

(Thanks for the confidence, Fairshake) Fairshake is 100% right. A match director should never treat a monthly as practice. For some these are the biggest matches they ever want to attend or will attend and they like it that way!(and that is OK! dammit). All this ain't saying that individuals can't use monthlies as practice, they can. They can focus on certain aspects of their game to see how they are improving, but it will still be very little practice.

If you want to get better, you must practice. Just shooting monthlies ain't gonna cut it. You have to dry fire and live fire and do it correctly if you want to improve.

Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything. Vince Lombardi

Archived