SASS Wire Forum

Private Video of Shooting

Aunt Jen

I'm normally not into being shot, even privately, but last Sunday at a match, I asked someone to video me on a stage, and I found it very helpful.

I watched myself: I was quick in my working of the lever on my rifle, but I was stopping after every time to grip the stock for firing. That wasted a lot of time. Then after that, I did better than before with my shotgun in that I was able to dump out the shells (thanks for folks here who helped me fix that up), but I was too quick with it overall because I missed one. I had to shoot the last one again. Then I saw myself lay it down too slowly. Then I just stood there waiting for a glacier to creep up on me while I thought about moving to the pistol mark---I thought it would take forever for me to get over there---and then shot too slowly....

It was a very helpful video, and I'm sure it'll help me with my time.

If you want to see yourself make all your mistakes, it can be helpful as a training aid.

Aunt Jen

Yup, it's handy to have. I do the same thing, wrap my thumb over each time when shooting my rifle. C'mon Jen, you can email me the video, I won't post it on you tube :D

On the flip side, there are several on you tube of me shooting. Not fast, but I've having fun.

Grizz

Aunt Jen, it's a good thing your not into being shot. :lol:

Privately, publicly, neither one sounds like a good option to me!

Yes Ma'am! Video is a great tudor for sure - I like seeing what I am not doing well and also enjoy seeing the improvements that have been made. I also use the video for working on my golf swing.

Good job Aunt Jen :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy

I like the remark about the glacier creeping up on you. I'm gonna use that.

But I fail to see why everybody is so interested in shooting fast. I prefer to savor the moment.

Jen,

It is important that the video you shoot is NOT just for your viewing. While it can be painful, ask a better shooter to sit down with you and watch it with you. You may notice glaring errors or that you are doing something too slowly, the faster shooter will notice a lot of other things that you may have never even thought of and they can ask questions of you as you watch.

"Why did you stage your gun there?"

"Do you see what you are doing with your feet?"

"See how you are pulling your reloads?"

And when they ask these questions or make their observations - they can also tell you why these things may be hindering you.

Good luck with your shooting.

My other half started filming all my matches about 3 months ago for that very reason, now several other members of our club also have asked her to film them. When we get home I burn everyones footage to cd and take them to them at the next shoot, and they are all improving because they can watch what they need to work on. And it has also allowed me to point out to shooters things they need to work on for safety reasons, like the cross draw dance. Telling them where the mistakes are is one thing, but letting them see it is another.

when I git me a

B) stuborn mule headed B) shootin student :mellow:

from time to time

that is the ONLY way,

they will admit,

that they aint doin things as they were instructed

:blink: dude :blink: ,,,,look at what yer doing, its on film LOL-LOL-LOL

Ive picked up on several things myself by watching some videos of me shooting and from having others watching my videos. Heck...I even put mine up on the club website..lol. Though I also put up vids of other members as well.

When I first started this sport, I had a few friends who play golf suggest that I video myself and then go back and study it. Seems a few of them had been doing it with their golf swings to look for issues.

Archived