SASS Wire Forum

rossi 44 mag

evil dogooder

I have my revolvers and shot gun now I'm working on my rifle. Are the rossi 44 mags any good? Are they picky about using 44 specials?

Any advice greatly appreciated there are other rifles that I like better but my dad has decided he needs to try this too. So my tight budget gets tighter. Need to stretch it a little more.

Oh and another question how does one go about sending ammo to be reloaded i heard some companies will do it for a reduced price. just pack up the brass abd send it in. ...Call first... do they load to factory specs or cowboy loads?

I intend on loading myself but until I choose which cal. To shoot I'm going to use factory.

Thanks all

Evil

The Rossi is as good as the cowboy shooting it is. I've shot a Rossi .44 Mag for 20 years in Cowboy Action Shooting. I won World Champ, modern in 1994 at End of Trail. I don't shoot .44 specials cuz I reload my own and can tailor the ammo to any specs I want.

I wouldn't shoot factory .44's(cost too much, too powerful)for CAS. Go to a match and ask around for someone who reloads, buy some once fired brass and have them reload it for you till you can do it yourself. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. Put where you live in your Avatar area and someone will tell you the closest reloader. Cliff Hanger is here in So.Cal.

He will load your ammo to your specs(cowboy) or hotter if you want.

Rossi '92s are fairly inexpensive guns. You usually do get what you pay for, as the saying goes. But they're not cheap- that is, not junky. They can be slicked up for about $100-150, less if you do it yourself, to bring the all-up price about level with an out-of-the-box Marlin, and several hundred less than a '66/'73. Rossis are particular about overall length of the cartridges used, but if you load to near max OAL you'll usually be OK. Matter of fact, if your handguns are Mags also, you could load on Mag brass at Special power levels.

Rossi '92s are fairly inexpensive guns. You usually do get what you pay for, as the saying goes. But they're not cheap- that is, not junky. They can be slicked up for about $100-150, less if you do it yourself, to bring the all-up price about level with an out-of-the-box Marlin, and several hundred less than a '66/'73. Rossis are particular about overall length of the cartridges used, but if you load to near max OAL you'll usually be OK. Matter of fact, if your handguns are Mags also, you could load on Mag brass at Special power levels.

Howdy, Pard,

Even if your sixguns are .44 Specials, you may be able to shoot the same round in the Rossi .44 Mag by using long-nose bullets. Also, the Rossi may be tunable to handle .44 Specials. I had one that would NOT shoot Specials, but a gunsmith in Colorado (can't recall his name or location these days) was able to get it to feed the shorter round. However, as I have cylinders for .44 Magnum for both my Old Model Vaqueros, I load the magnum brass to meet SASS specs (under 1,000 ft/sec).

Of course, you can shoot Specials in pistols and mangle-em brass in the rifle. You will want to start reloading on your own regardless.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

The 44 is one of my favorite calibers. But if budget is really tight, consider the 38 Special.

AS others have said, the Rossi (Winchester 92) and Marlin designs generally favor a longer cartridge, but each gun varies. I've seen a few that work very well with the Specials, but most like long loaded Specials or Mag length cartridges. The Rossi riffle is hard to get as smooth as the Marlin or 66/73, but can still be a pretty effective rifle as Big Jake has demonstrated.

I have shot a Rossi .357 for several years now. The more the rifle was tuned, the less that it tolerated .38 Special rounds. The cartridge feeds into the chamber at a sharp angle unlike the toggle actions ('60 Henry, '66, '73) that feed via a carrier that lifts the cartridge in line with the chamber.

Some shooters will stick their nose at anyone shooting something other than a Marlin or toggle action. This just motivates me to do well with the '92.

The Rossi is a good place to start. You can always add another gun later on (like we all do) and have the '92 for Wild Bunch or a backup.

The .44 Mag over RedDot and 180-200 grain bullets can be a very good choice.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

My very first CAS rifle was a .44 Mag M-92 Rossi for $175.

It's now my son's match rifle. It was slicked up a might.

It has shot only .44 Specials all of it's CAS life.

It will shoot .44 mag also, but has to have a clean chamber.

MG

The Rossi is as good as the cowboy shooting it is. I've shot a Rossi .44 Mag for 20 years in Cowboy Action Shooting. I won World Champ, modern in 1994 at End of Trail. I don't shoot .44 specials cuz I reload my own and can tailor the ammo to any specs I want.

I wouldn't shoot factory .44's(cost too much, too powerful)for CAS. Go to a match and ask around for someone who reloads, buy some once fired brass and have them reload it for you till you can do it yourself. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. Put where you live in your Avatar area and someone will tell you the closest reloader. Cliff Hanger is here in So.Cal.

He will load your ammo to your specs(cowboy) or hotter if you want.

I shoot 45 lc for revolvers. I wanted to keep the same cartridges for rifle but the local gander mt. Has a brand spanking new 44 mag for $295. They don't sell well in this area of minnesota so its on close out sale. I used to have a blackhawk in 44 mag but wasn't really impressed with it and traded it for a short barreled one in 45 which had some action work and is a ton more accurate.

Anyway I was just trying to find an inexpensive starter rifle so I could start practicing. I went to the local roundup but nobody had a rifle for sale at the time.

Thank you for the help

Evil

The 44 is one of my favorite calibers. But if budget is really tight, consider the 38 Special.

AS others have said, the Rossi (Winchester 92) and Marlin designs generally favor a longer cartridge, but each gun varies. I've seen a few that work very well with the Specials, but most like long loaded Specials or Mag length cartridges. The Rossi riffle is hard to get as smooth as the Marlin or 66/73, but can still be a pretty effective rifle as Big Jake has demonstrated.

Id love a 66 but the cheapest I could find in my atea was for $775. Which is a little out of my price range.

My dad would really love a henry 60 but that's not going to happen anytime soon I just don't want to always be begging for loaner guns. So many nice people offer but I just feel bad. Plus I worry about damage to them. I would really feel horrible if I broke a borrowed rifle

Evil

Get it. Then get the video from Nate Kiowa Jones

http://www.stevesgunz.com

and follow the instructions on the video. You'll end up with a very slick little rifle. Then for maximum fun load them big ol .44Mag cartridges with black powder. You'll never regret it.

I’ve shot a Puma 92 (Rossi by another name) for two years and have had very good luck with it.

Action is a bit rough when new but it took only a couple of months to smooth out on its own. It now levers very nicely and I never had to do an action job.

It will feed 44 special if you’re careful but they do tend to ‘stove pipe’ if you get sloppy when trying to go fast. Solution for me was 44 special in my pistols and 44 mag in the rifle. 3 simple changes on my turret press is all it takes to switch loads (thumb screws on seating die and crimp die as well as changing the powder charge disk setting).

One consideration is if you plan to shoot classic cowboy you have to stay with a 73 or earlier lever gun (just double checked my hand book).

Overall though I’ve been very happy with my 92 and only consider going to a 73 if I switch to CC.

Beeline

Since you already have your sixguns of a different caliber, there's no reason NOT to buy that Rossi! Get into reloading and load some loads that will stay under the 1400 ft/sec limit for rifles (1080 ft/sec can be gotten from the 20" barrel with the right load and a 210 grain bullet...we can't show loading data here). Because the .44 Magnum was derrived from the .44 Special, which in turn came from the .44 Russian, some of us with tongue in cheek refer to the magnum case loaded down as ".44 Extra Long Russian". ^_^

Ride easy but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

+1

$295 for a Rossi! $775 for a '66!! Prices in your area are about 20-25% cheaper than around here. I need to move to Minnesota...

Bought the rossi. Still on the fence with the 66 in 44-40 and engraved. I'm not really into fancy guns

Thank you for the help

Evil

• 1 month later...
Guest rooster ron wayne

I have two rossi 92s in 44 mag i love them.

i changed the ejector spring and cut down the hammer spring three coils.

It shoots sweet .

Way better than any of my marlins ever did .

If you load the 44 specials long they work great .

I hilly recommend the Rossi 92 .

Rooster Ron Wayne sass# 89026

Archived