SASS Wire Forum

poly vs spoked wheels

Marshal Chance Morgun

The old golf cart wheels I put on my cart are shot. looking to replace with pneumatic tires. Found some at Northern Tool. Some have Poly rims, some have Alum with spokes. I know some Pards use these because pictures of CAS carts are used in the ads. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?

The old golf cart wheels I put on my cart are shot. looking to replace with pneumatic tires. Found some at Northern Tool. Some have Poly rims, some have Alum with spokes. I know some Pards use these because pictures of CAS carts are used in the ads. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?

I used metal rims because I thought the poly might eventually deteriorate in the summer sun and winter snow extremes. Probably doesn't really matter much though.

Painted metal wheels

I chose the wheels used on my cart by weight. I knew that I'd be lifting the cart in and out of my truck, so I didn't want to add a bunch of weight. I picked the lightest wheels that Harbor Freight had which turned out to be non-pneumatic poly wheels/tires. They did not have the spoked wheels though, so I don't know how the weight would have compared. The spoked wheels sure look nicer than what I used.

MM

I use the Northern 16" poly wheels on all my carts, which I know you've seen, haven't had any wheel problems. Weight ratings are good enough that the carts all have sit-on ammo boxes. By coincidence I have two wheels coming in UPS today. As soon as they get here, I'll pull the tires and tubes, clean the wheels with paint thinner, then paint with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. While they're drying I "Slime" the tubes. After overnight dry, everything gets re-assembled and thrown on the cart. The only time there was ever a problem was last year at the Charity Shoot when REC had a tire completely disintegrate - I'm thinking it might have spent some time sitting in something to weaken the rubber. A quick trip to the Farm King cured that problem. The paint itself has held up very well - The wheels on the original cart are 4 years old, look brand new even with all the weather exposure they've had. I'm sure there are other paint brands that would work, but I know the Krylon Fusion does!

Count Sandor

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We've gone away from inflatible tires on our gun wagons.

Both of them have solid tires now. But they are heavier. :rolleyes:

Ya know how many goathead holes you can get in a tire?

ENOUGH TO GO FLAT IMMEDIATELY!!!! :angry:

Mustang Gregg

Wal Mart plastic wheels for $12 each can be painted...Don't go Flat!!

That's true, but I was thinking pneumatic tires would roll through gravel and rough ground easier than the hard rubber golf cart ones I have now

I have metal spoked (heavy spokes) solid rubber tire, 16" wheels that came with my cart a little sky gun cart from Cartright gun carts. They have worked perfect over all sorts of terrain.

I'm sure that you'd be able to just purchase just the wheels from them. They use to have their own sight, but this video has all the info you need to contact them. Smithy.

The cart I bought off Doc Noper has wooden spoked wheels with a steel tread...works great, and looks the part too ;) Of course, the matches at Rockford I attend do not have rocky ground...

If I ever do a wheel change though I will go with pneumatics with anti-flat stuff like slime in 'em.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived