SASS Wire Forum

Rule clarifaction

Scrub Oak Willie 53737

Five rifle targets ,two sweeps .Shooter starts hits targets 1,2 , jackes out a round on three , hits #3 with next round ( or reloads and hits 3 ) , or after shooting 9 targets reloads round to hit last target . Now did shooter engage target 3 ? if so he would get a procedual. I have never seen a shooter called on this and the shooter would always be allowed to reload without a penalty.

I know if you have a AD at a target you are shooting at you must shoot the next target or get a procedual because you engage that target , but did you engage the target that you jacked a round out at :unsure:

Confused

Willie

Philly's knowledge and the rules match up well, as usual.

A jacked out round can be replaced immediately or any time later until you start with the next firearm. If you get your order mixed up when you jack out the round and you SKIP OVER without firing at a target (#3 in your example) that should have been engaged next, then that is a P for the wrong target order. ADDED: you automatically take a miss if you choose not to replace the jacked out round, because an unfired round is only a miss.

What you have seen called sounds exactly correct, if I understand your description of the scenario.

Good luck, GJ

Hi Willie,

Philly and Joe have answered your question. I hope to add further clarification. A jacked round in a rifle or a bad primer in a pistol may be made up like they described. ADs and misses may not.

There is one exception to the rule against making up a miss.

More information from page 16 of the ROI. "If a firearm is shot out of sequence or from the wrong position or location, the shooter will be awarded a single procedural penalty. In this situation, if the shooter elects or is forced to miss an appropriate target due to unsafe angles or target availability, a round may be reloaded to avoid a miss penalty (the dreaded “Double Jeopardy” of a procedure and miss).

This does not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss. Unfired ejected rifle rounds may be replaced. ."

Regards,

Allie Mo

If a round fails to fire (dud, jacked out etc.), the shooter may take that unfired round as a miss and procede to the next target or the shooter may elect to re-engage with another round.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

If a round fails to fire (dud, jacked out etc.), the shooter may take that unfired round as a miss and procede to the next target or the shooter may elect to re-engage with another round.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

That's very good to know, and I'll plan to take the miss rather than fumble around with a reload.

Unless I get good and fast someday.

Engaged – attempting to fire a round at the target.
ROI "Glossary of Terms" p.30

August 2010 "Cowboy Chronicle" page 45

& reprinted in the

October 2010 "Cowboy Chronicle" page 36

Archived