SASS Wire Forum

97 cartridge stop screws

BrimstoneJerome

Howdy wire,

While replacing left side ejector on my take down E model, I noticed that I was missing a cartridge stop screw. I then went to Numerich to buy a replacement and learned that there is a new style and an old style, I can't tell which style I need. I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Brim

Just for information for the 97 shooters regarding your lost screw. The way the "E" model cartridge stops work is they pivot on a screw that goes in on each side of the bottom of the receiver. Each time the cartridge stop opens and shuts it acts like a screw driver on the two pivot screws. With the gun upright in a firing position, the screw on the bottom right tightens slightly when the cartridge stops are opened and closed while the screw on the left side "unscrews" slightly when the stops are opened and closed. Over a period of time, depending on how much it is shot, the left screw will drop out and will never be seen again. As part of a regluar maintenance on a "E" model 97 that left side screw should be tightened.

As far as your problem, the difference between the old and new screws, it sounds like you are looking at the Numerich web site. I am not, but I think you will need the shorter old model screw. The correct screws come in two lengths and the longer one goes on the right and the shorter one on the left, unless I have it backwards. If you are not sure send me an email and I will look at one of the "E" models I have and let you know. My email is outlawgambler@gmail.com

I went on Numerich's web site and since they don't show pics of the screws I don't know which one to recommend. I think the best deal is to call them and tell them which gun you have and let them tell you which screw you need. I would suggest you pic up a spare and carry it in your gun cart. You know it will never fail until you get to a shoot. All you need to replace is it a small headed flat screw driver. Hope this helps.

I just bought a left cartridge stop from "The gun rack" out of Washington state. He asked if I needed a new or old model. Told him I did not know. He asked if the screw went in from the bottom or the side, told him bottom. He told me it was a new model, he sent on and it fit, was either 2 or 3 dollars, got an ejector at the same time, both parts were delivered for 6 bucks, 2 for this 3 for that and a buck shipping. Kinda a cool old guy to deal with, knows a lot!!google him

As others have said, I believe they are referring to the C model as the old style - and as Capt Dan said, that is the model that held the cartridge stops in with screws in the side of the frame.

The D and E models have smaller screws that come up from the bottom of the frame to hold the cartridge stops. They also have buttons on the side to release the cartridge stops so you can easily "dump" the cartridges from the Mag Tube.

The C model does NOT have the buttons.

I just bought a left cartridge stop from "The gun rack" out of Washington state. He asked if I needed a new or old model. Told him I did not know. He asked if the screw went in from the bottom or the side, told him bottom. He told me it was a new model, he sent on and it fit, was either 2 or 3 dollars, got an ejector at the same time, both parts were delivered for 6 bucks, 2 for this 3 for that and a buck shipping. Kinda a cool old guy to deal with, knows a lot!!google him

Got a number for this place?

I called 3 "Gun Racks" in Washington state and none of them were the right one.

I'm looking for a left extractor for a 16ga. 97. I ordered one from Num....., and it was for a 12 ga. and not a very good copy at that.

Thanks,

WR

PISCO may have the parts. I know they carry IAC parts, but IAC only makes 12 gauge 97s.

Wisner lists different parts for the 16 gauge, so I would try them.

Tom Bullweed included a link to their website.

Archived