SASS Wire Forum

Well, what have we learned?

Tom Bullweed

This is my fifth year of cowboy action. My first three years were spent shooting occassionally and having too many guns. Yep, too many guns keeps your from improving with any of them. I have thought alot recently about what I have learned and how this can be the year that I step up my performance.

The most important lesson that I have learned is that scoring well has little to do with going fast, except for the very top level shooters. Doing well means doing the right things well. Do a good job of reloading. Do a good job of transitions. Get that shotgun to my shoulder before trying to load it. Going fast while not doing the right things well is sloppy, rewards me with violations (or worse) and keeps me from having fun. The problem with this lesson is that there are some shooters who are just fast through natural talent plus lots of burnt powder and slung lead. I am not in that group, but I enjoy watching them.

What one lesson have you learned as a cowboy-action shooter that would help another shooter or someone that wants to be a shooter???

When I first started - it was with smokless, store-bought ammo. Shooting felt like nothing more than just plinking tin cans out in a bare cotton field somewhere or another.

Started reloading muh own and shooting black. First Frontier Cartridge - then back to the basics of Frontiersman. There. Done found what I been a lookin' fer! ;)

Been grinning like a cheshire cat ever since.

Never been in the top ten; unless there was only ten to begin with, shucks...I'm doing good being in the top 75 most times with 65 shooting. But, I sure do love to see them fast guns blazing away whenever I can!

Point is...a body has got ta' find their own nitch in this game, so that'd they be happy with, before they can enjoy any of it. That's the one lesson that I learnt early on. ^_^

I read somewhere (on the Wire I believe or directed from the Wire) that folks starting out in SASS should not necessarily worry about accuracy but do worry about speed in their shooting and transitions. Keeping safety in mind of course, but with the speed taken care of, the accuracy will come or can be worked on at a later date. I don't know if that statement is true or just something that I read, but I go slow enough as it is. Add all the misses to my time and wow, bring out the hour glass to time me. I soon realized that that was not going to work for my "niche" of SASS fun so I went to hitting the targets. Anyone can pull a trigger 25 times per stage and that gets boring after awhile, but hitting 25 targets per stage now that's fun. And at first and even now I really don't care if it takes me 45 seconds to do it in. I'm still having fun. I'd be more impressed if I went clean for a match. (Almost did one time, just one target shy) So I have found my SASS niche, shooting black powder in Frontier Cartridge with my Ruger Bisley's and trying my best to stay clean (no pun intended) with my home rolled ammo. I am having an absolute blast! Smithy.

Lessons I have lerned:

• Listed to experienced shooters.
  • Start with good leathers - it makes more of a difference than you can imagine.
  • Buy the best guns you can afford.
  • Learn to reload - saves money and gets you more involved.
  • Listed to experienced shooters.
  • Shoot YOUR match - don't try to keep up with others!

Kid AtHeart

Guest Chief

I am going on 73 and have been shooting all my life, the only thing that bothers me is when I have a brain fart,I don't care where I come in the standings, I still shoot long range, combat action, cowboy,and skeet. Guns and shooting are a part of my life that I refuse to give up. KEEP EM IN THE 10 RING. CHIEF

So far I've learned that I have a lot to learn. And just because you can shoot semi automatic pistols or double action law enforcement style revolvers well doesn't mean you can shoot cas well from the start.

Never, never, never try to shoot gunfighter!!

When scrubbing out your black powder pistols with hot soapy water....keep your mouth shut.

When scrubbing out your black powder pistols with hot soapy water....keep your mouth shut.

Clearly, I need to be scrubbing my black powder pistols with soapy water more often......

Lessons I have learned:

1) if it smells like dog poop, it probably is.

2) Women are never wrong. They are sometimes mistaken, but they are never wrong.

3) Never make a business out of a hobby. You'll go broke and ruin the joy you had with the hobby.

4) The guy who says he has a direct pipeline to God usually don't.

5) Never enter a hospital. Chances are you'll leave feet first.

- Reloading isn't hard, but you gotta pay attention. It won't save you money, but it will let you shoot more often for the same money.

- Even if you take your time, try different guns, and buy the "right" guns to start with, you're still gonna want more guns.

- Don't be so busy with chatting, taking pictures and video, doing posse chores and what not that you forget to take enough time to get yourself mentally ready to shoot the stage.

- Cowboys are a great bunch for the most part, but there are all kinds in the game, including some downright jerks. Learn to accept that different folks enjoy the game differently, and learn to ignore the jerks.

- Never pass up the chance to use the outhouse before the start of a match.

every new shooter thinks they will come up with the BEST idea for CAS ever, then they find out its been done 75,000 times

hud

Things I have learned or think I know since I started SASS

1. You can't have too many guns or too much ammo!

2. Take time to tell your pards how much you like them. Seems like either you or your pards

go to that "Big Round-Up in the Sky" all to soon and sudden.

3. There is a thousands of games within this thing we call SASS & CAS. Find yours and play it

to the fullest. Respect your pards game and enjoy it with them.

4. SASS is more than a hobby, it is a lifestyle, and I enjoy it very much.

5. And finally, Manatee is right!

Marlin(Who enjoys the game but misses his friends)Buckhorn

Gods speed Triggerlock

Lessons I have learned:

2) Women are never wrong. They are sometimes mistaken, but they are never wrong.

3) Never make a business out of a hobby. You'll go broke and ruin the joy you had with the hobby.

4) The guy who says he has a direct pipeline to God usually don't.

2a) When a woman is mistaken, don't be the one to TELL her. :(

Things I have learned:

1. ALOT of folks know ALOT more than I do about ALOT of things.

2. It ain't impossible to fire 10 rounds in under 2 seconds with Cowboy guns.

3. The Marlin ain't slower than the 66 or 73.

..........Widder

things I have learned:

1. Your only real competition is yourself. Within the rules you are the only one you have to satisfy with your performance.

2. If you do well everyone will cheer you on and if you don't do well everyone will commiserate with you. What more could you ask?

3. Cowboys and Cowgirls are the friendliest, most down to earth, honest group you are likely to meet.

4. Once you have been around this group awhile you will wonder why you didn't start sooner and will look at the rest of the world and wonder what are they thinking?

5. More guns is a good thing :):):) !!

6. Enough ammo for all your guns is good too :) !

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I could fill a book with stuff I've learned. My favorite, learned several times, is when a knowledgeable shooter or smith says "it can't be done", I got so I know that when I hear that phrase, I'm about to embark on an adventure.

Aside from that, if it ain't fun, yer doin it wrong.

Lessons I have learned:

3) Never make a business out of a hobby. You'll go broke and ruin the joy you had with the hobby.4) The guy who says he has a direct pipeline to God usually don't.

Not necessarily, but it does take some serious consideration of priorities, and NOT letting "work" get in the way of fun.

When you trip and fall and skin your knees in the game of life, your SASS cowboy/cowgirl friends will be the ones to pick you up, brush you off, cheer you up and get your head screwed back on straight.

Thanks Gateway and so many other SASS cowboys and cowgirls.

Blastmaster

Don't eat at a new taco joint the night before a state match.

Don't tweak the hammer spring on your '73 just before a match.

Even if you pop a cap on each nipple of a percussion revolver, check for daylight thru the vent before charging the chamber.

It is possible to cause a Ruger Old Army to malfunction. It ain't easy but it can be done.

Don't wear your guns while visiting the outhouse.

I have learned enough to fill an encyclopedia, but I've learned that PEOPLE are the most fun of all. The Grumpy Lunch Bunch are some of my best friends, and a lot of other CAS/SASS folks rate right up there with them.

I've had more jobs than almost anyone I know, but I only have about a half dozen friends together from all those jobs and don't even remember the names of the majority of the people I worked with.

On the other hand I have scores of people met through SASS that I've never even laid eyes on that I'm proud to call friends.

Archived