SASS Wire Forum

And da story never ends

I rode down to the creek that flowed by the dug out. I stepped down from my horse and sniffed the air. Nice and fresh. I unbuckled my gun belt, lay it on a near by rock. I reached into my pocket and drew out some ash I had taken from fire place while no one was looking. I sang my lonley death song...tossing some ash and tobacco into the air. I then scooped some water from the creek, making some black paste. I draw my finger throught it and put a line across under each eye and one line line straight down under them. I drew a black line down my brow and nose.

I reached into the creek, got out some red clay and I mixed it up and put two red lines under each of the black line under both eyes. I removed the bow and arrows from my saddle, puting the same war paint on them. That's was my sign...my signature. I went ot my horse, took my two dragoons out of their pommel holsters, checking the loads in each..they were fine. I reloaded both my 1860 and 66 Henry and took my single shot Trapdoor out of it's holder I had specail built for my saddle. I cleaned it good, slid a 45-120 round into it and returned it to it's special place. Not even Grizz nor Taft knew I had it, and I've send many a sassy hombre to the other side with it. I let my horse drink, putting my gunbelt back on, knowing this was going to be the worse fight in my life...worse that the war.

Finding a good stone, I set out sharping both fighting and scalping knifes. I would have use for both. And I watched the clouds floating over head, closeing my eyes and talking to the Great Spirit, in deep prayer. I caught a trout, had it for supper and went to sleep.

Next moring I rode out, swinging wide around Black Jack and his boys. I wanted to trail'em and yet stay away from most white men...even those that know me. I rode just behind them. I wanted them to know some one was indeed, trailing'em. But not too close....just close enough to make them nervious, jumpy. Then I cut off. I knew where they was heading, they did not. Only Black Jack knew...and he wasn't talking. I watched them enter the wide canyon, knowing full well, none would come out alive. My Apache People would see to that. They had sealed the canyon closed.

Black Jack nodded this way and that, to depoly his men. There wasn't much cover for them, besides they were nervious. Some one who had been trailing them was now gone. And that worryed them ..badly. Taft and Grizz had a good field of fire and just waited. "Hello the dug out !! Who's in there !?!?" Taft answered angerly.."You know danm well who's here, Black Jack! Come on and git some !!" He racked his rifle, Grizz did the same. Deja had a bead on one of his men from the side window. She was just waiting for the first shot. Then suddenly...there was this blood crudleyin screen...Deja knew it right away and smiled..almost laughed . "It's Hawk !!"

Black Jack spun around in his saddle. "Wha.!" A bullet from one of my four pistols singed by his hear. He jumped for cover as I spured my horse into a full run. I had the reins loose, letting this war horse run. Shooting and riding like the wind, I rode right throught amost them. I saw the blood fly from the hole my bullet made. I spun my horse around and charged throught the again, dropping to the side of my horse, shooting from underneath his belly. Men begain to run. Grizz and Taft made short work of them. I saw on of those men on the roof, digging they're way throught the roof. "He'll be getting a good surpize soon".

All my pistols were now empty, so I drew the 1st rifle. I leved it as fast as I could while still remaining upright. I dropped that rifle in the dirt, empty, grabbed my 2nd Henry and started to lever it as fast as possilbe. But I had realized my horse was played out and stopped, just as I got aim at Black Jacks chest. It seemed as if time went to super slow. I could see that bullet coming straight for me. But I could not move. And I felt it go deep in my left side of my chest. And then all fire stopped. I was still on horseback when I heard Grizz call out, "You boys had nuff yet ? My pard here is aiming at a dynamite stash I made before you got here. And he's got one more ichy trigger finger." "Got'er lined up..just say when.." Taft said.

I got off my horse and look at my wound. Blood was spruting out with every heartbeat. "Jack" I called out, slowly walking toward him. "You mudering sumbitch! I'm gonna send you to hell!" With a great deal of pain, Iifeted my 45-120 to my shoulder and fired. The recol pushed me back and drove the hot lead deeper into my chest. "UGHHHH" Jack sounded as he grabbed his chest. My round had found it's mark and he fell, face first into the dust. I walked over to him, my blood still spruting out. I was pale as if to death and felted as the world was spinning out of controll. I rolled him onto his back, but he was still alive. "Knew I should have finished the job back then, now looks like I have, you half breed." He laughed just a bit. "No Jack, now I finish the job!!" I pulled out my scalping knife and begain to slice. Jack's screams echoed throught that canyon. I stood up with Jack's bloody scalp in my hand, raised it high and yelled a apache victory yell.

Then all went black. Taft, who was hit in the leg, was there. I heard Deja's voice..."NNOOOOOOOO" I reached up for Taft. then darkness over came me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...and so, as from dust we came, so to the dust shall we return. In His name we pray," and all intoned an "amen."

Grizz turned to Taft, who leaned against a cane he'd been using to walk since he took that hit in the leg. "Sure was lucky for us the Cavalry rode over the hill right after Mulligan was killed."

"Yep, if it hadn't been for that medical wagon with their unit, I might have more than a limp to show for our little Arizona adventure." Taft replied. "Still after it all, I still feel bad for Hawk," Taft finished as he looked at the headstone.

'Me too', Grizz thought to himself. "Well, maybe a bottle of whiskey would rise our spirits."

"I'm sure that would help, Grizzes," Deja smiled as she wheeled the chair around.

"mmm-hmm. Just keep me away from that Ta-killya!" Hawk rasped. 'That medical wagon saved a lot more'n Taft's leg,' he thought to himself. As he eyed the new headstone he'd put up at the ranch, he muttered softly to himself, "don't feel bad for me, Taft."

"What's that?" Deja asked.

"Oh, nothin' - let's go 'n' get that Whiskey", Hawk replied.

"Ladies and Gent folk..I want to thank y'all for riding with me. No normal folk would have one what you've done.., but then again nobody said y'all was normal !" I said, letting a little chuckle out, witch hurt like hell. I heard Deja from behind my chair shouting .."Hey !!" "At long last..3 years...give or take....my wife and child can rest. I have killed and sent to hell their killers." Looking toward the sky and raising my glass high I said in Apache, "Go now and rejoyce in the lodge of our Ancestors!"

We all drank to my lost ones...ones that I loved.....but still rejoyced in the new love I've found. And the new life within her. I pulled out that infamous bag of double eagles. I counted it out untill it was all gone, one by one and gave it to Taft, Grizz and Deja for their part in my war. After all, I had taken at least 3 tears of their life's.

"Deja.....Grizz......Taft.....this money is for you. You aint gonna turn it down, are ya? What say ye?" I asked before I threw my drink back.

Grizz looked at the stack of gold coins in front of him, threw back his drink and said "that's not why I rode."

Before Hawk could speak, Taft spoke up "where in the hell did you get that big bag of brand spanking new double eagles anyway?"

Hawk started to speak yet again and was cut off by Grizz "and another thing, what in the heck was that dream I had about us needing cattle? You seemed to know what it meant at the time..."

Hawk cleared his throat to speak and this time was cut off by the medicine man coming in, he spoke something in apache and walked out holding the door for Hawk to follow.

"Now I need medicine, when I return we will destroy that headstone for it is not needed and I will try to explain..." And Hawk followed the medicine man out the door.

"boys....I did not mean it that way. I know y'all did not ride for the brand or me. You did not have to help me. But you did. You chose to help me. So, this money is for you. Grizz, you asked about that dream where you needed cattle. Well, Acording to a telegraph wire I had just got, Silas aint been sitting on the money you've been making. Seems like the saloon you've been competeing against has all but gone under and Silas has acted in you're name to buy it...out right....no partners! Now you'll need cattle to stock the ranch he's builting for you up there. Good man ya got there, that Silas!"

"Taft...it aint no never mind where them double eagles come from. If any one asks, tell'em where you got it from. No...it aint stolen, if that's what ya thinking." I said.

"And Miss Deja...blood sister....Aint heard from you. What say ya ?"

I ordered another round and we all threw it back. We may hurt tomarrow, but tonight, we gonna have some fun !!!

Taft poured a shot for Grizz, Deja, and Hawk. He was slow and steady in doing so...........

He gently and somberly picked up the glass in front of him and cracked a grin............

"Hawk, this is for all your Ancestors in that lodge welcoming the love of your life."

Taft gave a wink then swallowed down the shot of tequila in a smooth gulp. Hawk and Grizz stared in silence at Taft, somewhat dumbfounded at the fact that he understood the words Hawk had said in tribute to his family.

Taft lowered the glass and looked with his hat cocked crooked on his head.........

"What," Taft said with a chuckle, "Y'all didn't just think I was a dumb ol' Missoura Boy, did ya?" He got up from the table and hobbled

off on his cane. Hawked reached for his arm......."Where ya goin', Taft?"

"Well,"Taft said, "I got business to tend to in Missoura that consists of lovin' my wife and raisin' my young'uns to get to, but right now.........I'm goin' ta git another bottle from the bar!" Taft shook his friend's hand and gave him a look as if to say ' the job is done, and ya done good'..........

As Taft limped to the bar he said with a smile, "I'll be headed back to Missoura come mornin', But fer now, I'll gonna have another drink with mah friends."

.........................................................................................

~EE~

A gray-bearded old gentleman and an Indian who had wandered into the saloon approached the bartender from the corner table where they'd sat observing the patrons. In a frail voice that carried just loud enough for Hawk to hear, the old gentleman said "We're here lookin' fer the man thet brought down Black Jack Mulligan. There's a ree-ward fer Mulligan that ain't been claimed, and we means ta see thet he gits it."

Hawk looked over at the two strangers. The Indian Hawk recognized as Potowatami, a northern tribe one didn't see often in these parts. The elder of the two appeared once tall, but hunched with age. As their eyes met, Hawk noted the youthful look of the man's eyes amidst his ashen face and gray hair.

'What the hell,' Hawk thought, 'if they try somethin' here I've got the best backup I could want'. Still he wished he had the strength to get about right this minute. Reluctantly, he called over "I'm the man yer lookin' fer, stranger."

The stranger looked him up and down, and Hawk thought he saw a smile briefly pass the stranger's face as he stepped toward him. The old man reached in his coat and produced and envelope. "Mister eh... " - he glanced at the envelope over his spectacles - "Silverhawk I presume?" Hawk nodded, warily. The old man thrust the envelope at him with his left hand and extended his right in greeting. As Hawk shook his hand and accepted the envelope, the old man spoke again; only this time, his voice was youthful and vigorous.

"This envelope contains a five thousand dollar reward from the Fortune Teller's Society for Mulligan's capture or killing," the mysterious stranger said softly, "You've done a great service in helping to bring peace and order to the West. Thank You." His voice returned to the frail cackle of an elderly man as he spoke again, loud enough for all to hear. "Well, now I kin say I shook the hand what brought Black Jack Mulligan ta Justice. It's a fine day sir, yes a right fine day!"

"We go now, Kemo Sabe," whispered his Indian companion, and the two strangers left as quietly as they'd came.

"Da next round is on me!" Hawk called to the bartender, pleasantly surprised at his good fortune.

Archived