SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Caps

Have any pards done any measuring on the different sized caps by all the different manufacturers? I"ve noticed over the years that sometimes the same size cap from different companies fits differently on the same gun.

Also, has anyone used the RWS 1075 caps? A local shop got a huge supply of these, and I'm not familiar with them and was wondering if they are any good?

Cpt,

I think the info you are looking for is at post 32 on this thread:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,35422.25.html

Of course, the rest of the thread ought to be of interest to you as well.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

PS. I've used RWS 1075 caps for years on my muzzleloaders, they're good caps; but, I use #10 Remingtons on my C&Bs

Ya beat me to the punch J-Bar. Now he has two places to look.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Ya beat me to the punch J-Bar. Now he has two places to look.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

..."He's quick, Joey; quick with a mouse..."

I have been playing with some of my old stock recently and find that the #10 CCI seems to be the smallest and must literally be swaged onto the nipples of my guns and some still need a second whop to make them go. Been lucky so far with hammer setting them but with almost a thousand left, I'll keep using them for practice and just try to be careful with the muzzle while setting the caps. I have a couple of friends who have promised me a large deer tine for the seating job but I am still waiting.

I have been playing with some of my old stock recently and find that the #10 CCI seems to be the smallest and must literally be swaged onto the nipples of my guns and some still need a second whop to make them go. Been lucky so far with hammer setting them but with almost a thousand left, I'll keep using them for practice and just try to be careful with the muzzle while setting the caps. I have a couple of friends who have promised me a large deer tine for the seating job but I am still waiting.

For all practical purposes, the cap sizes are (from smallest to largest) CCI #10, Remington #10, CCI #11 and Remington #11. I haven't used RWS 1075's so I don't know were they would fit in. I use Remington #10's on my Ruger Old Armies. CCI #11's will work if the nipples are dirty. On clean nipples they have a tendency to fall off under recoil.

Hope this helps,

Mike (the) Fink

I've used Imported RWS No. 1075 caps on occasion when I couldn't get anything else that would work.

Better by far than CCI No. 11's, and nearly equivalent to the Remington No. 10's.

I don't recall ever having any cap jam or misfire trouble with them when using them on the stainless

steel aftermarket nipples in my Uberti 1851 Navy revolvers.

Bp

Archived