SASS Wire Forum

R&D Cylinder locks up

Mingo Frank

Hepp.... Just got a R&D conversion cylinder for mt '51 Navy ( Uberti). It functions well with BP cylinder.

If I install the R&D with the gun at half cock and lower the hammer right there ( between the firing pins), I can bring it to a crisp full cock and the hammer falls smartly when the trigger is pulled. If I attempt to cock again, the hand tries to rotate the cylinder before the locking bolt drops and it is locked in position.

The cylinder was bought second hand, so I am hesitant to attempt to return it to R&D...

Staring intently at the workings as I cock the hammer with no cylinder in place, it seems the hand should be shortened, but I don't want to break out the files till I get some more opinions.

I have been known to be wrong in the past... :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Mingo

First off with a Colt type action you should never lower the hammer from the half-cock notch. If you do that the gun is out of time and that can cause a line around your cylinder. Always bring it to full-cock and then lower the hammer. It's working the first time because the bolt is out of the locking notch and when you lower from half-cock the bolt is resting on the metal between the cylinder notches. So, it is not engaged in a cylinder locking notch and you can cock it. After you have fired it there are a couple of things to look for to help diagnose your problem. If you are looking at the bolt from the side when you try to cock it is it starting to move downward at all? When the hammer is all the way down is it sitting firmly on the firing pins? What may be happening is that the R&D firing pins are holding the hammer back just enough that the bolt is not resetting. Remove the wedge and let the barrel slide forward just a few thousands of an inch and push the hammer forward to see if it moves just a bit. Then try to cock it. If that is the problem the bolt leg is not resetting over the hammer cam. Do a little investigating before you break out the files.

To clarify....

Gun is on half cock to allow the cylinder to be installed.

Barrel is replaced...still at half cock.

Gun will go to full cock and bolt fully engages.

Holding hammer, trigger is pulled allowing hammer to fall on firing pin.

Attemptin to recock now, hammer comes back slightly but not enough to allow the bolt to start disengaging.

I know to always lowr from full cock....just didn't make that clear apparently.

I also have an R&D cylinder for a Pietta that works fine in the Uberti. Just wanted to keep it with the Pietta I am using.

Mingo

I had a similar issue with my 1860 revolver and the conversion cylinder. What happened on mine was that as the cylinder turned one of the firing pins would catch and bind on a sharp edge of the frame as it rotated by, and would lock up. If you pushed in on the pin with your finger you could get it going again. A dremel tool took care of rounding off the sharp edge allowing the pin to slide in as it rotated by, and I have had no more issues since. Just a thought.

Archived