SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch

Two Ponies

There has been so much lately about the Wild Bunch matches I am looking into the guns used.

Does a Kimber Custom ll meet the requirements for the WB matches?

There has been so much lately about the Wild Bunch matches I am looking into the guns used.

What I tell you may make you want to dig into the rules book:

http://www.sassnet.c..._2010_final.pdf

Lots of help on Wild Bunch equipment available at the Wild Bunch forum:

http://www.sassnet.c..._2010_final.pdf

Ok, to get to your question: Yes, the Custom II as it comes from Kimber is legal for Wild Bunch Modern category. It has a full-length recoil spring guide rod. That could be replaced fairly easily, I would expect. (fixed, after other comments and checking rule book.)

The Custom II would not be an appropriate choice at all if you wanted to shoot in the Traditional category (one-handed). Too many modern features to have to replace.

Good luck, GJ

And, I'd bet that the double-diamond checkered hard plastic grips on the Kimber Custom II would probably pass muster, too.

I was under the impression that ANY 1911 style Pistol of 40 Cal. or 45 Cal. was legal, regardless of the manufacturer. I will be interested in the answer to this also.

RBK

I was under the impression that ANY 1911 style Pistol of 40 Cal. or 45 Cal. was legal, regardless of the manufacturer. I will be interested in the answer to this also.

RBK

Nope, way off base, sorry. No .40 cal pistols are allowed by the SASS Wild Bunch rules. See the rulebook I cited earlier.

Not very many current production 1911s are allowable for Traditional category. And for Modern category, I would guess that about 50% of the guns being produced by major manufacturers like Kimber, Springfield, Wilson, even Colt, will not make the grade without some modification or parts replacement. You DO need to be careful what you buy if you want to shoot "official" Wild Bunch.

Of course, local matches may vary from the rule books by an unpredictable amount. For those, check locally.

And, you probably will not get a better opinion than what is in the rule book for a SASS sanctioned Wild Bunch match. The rulebook is being followed pretty precisely.

Good luck, GJ

I shoot the Kimber Custom II in modern WB matches and the rule book specifically allows the full length recoil spring guide in modern (but not in traditional). If there has been a rule change of which I am unaware, it's easy to swap the GI style guide and plug for the full length type.

as long as the grips are changed to plastic or wood or grips of natural materials you can use your Kimber in the modern class, you do not have to change the guide rod. I use mine in modern, I did change the guide rod just because of personal preference, don't want to be in a situation were my life depends on having to have a tool to field strip my pistol and not having it.

Rafe

Are there any out of the box 1911 that are Wild Bunch ready?

There are many that are LEGAL in Modern category out of the box.

(There are many that are not - READ THE RULE BOOK!)

There are fewer current production 1911s that are LEGAL in Traditional category out of the box.

For an example, here are the Colt current production models that would be legal in Traditional, as far as I can tell from the photos.

O1911ANVIII Legacy 1911 Anniversary III

O1970A1CS Series 70, blue

O1070A1CS Series 70, stainless

O1991 1991 series, blue

O1091 1991 series brushed stainless

O2071ELC2 1991 series bright stainless

There are also models from Springfield, RIA, Remington and other companies that are legal in Traditional. However, I believe that Kimber DOES NOT make a piece that would be legal in Traditional category.

What you mean by "ready" could be wildly misinterpreted, so I won't even venture a guess.

Good luck, GJ

What I wanted to know does anyone make a new manufactured 1911 that is legal to shoot traditional wild bunch with out having to buy parts to make it so?

What I wanted to know does anyone make a new manufactured 1911 that is legal to shoot traditional wild bunch with out having to buy parts to make it so?

Wow, I just posted you a list of the Colt models legal in Traditional category. Maybe somebody else has enough time to work up a list of some of the other manufacturers models.

Good luck, GJ

To directly answer your question. Any of the following could be used for WB traditional and all would be great choices. The RIA is a great inexpensive choice. Many Colts (1911A1s) that are widely available would also be good choices.

http://www.rockislandarmory.com/fs_pistols.html

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=79

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6

Hope this helps,

GR

Here ya go Two Ponies

TRADITIONAL CATEGORY MODIFICATIONS

• Barrel length must be five inches. No barrel porting or compensators or other recoil

reducing devices allowed.

• Unloaded pistol weight may not exceed 40 ounces with an empty magazine inserted.

• Barrel with standard barrel bushing. No Bull barrels allowed.

• Magazine wells may be beveled, but may not be oversized, extended, or flared.

• Only non-adjustable “military style” rear sights and blade type front sights allowed.

• No sight inserts or colored sights allowed. Sights must be black or blued.

• Stainless steel is permitted. Stainless pistols may have stainless sights.

• Grips must be GI-style wood or plastic grips. Other natural materials are allowed but no

rubber grips. No target style or thumb rests allowed.

• Only rear slide checkering or serrations. No front slide checkering or serrations.

• Magazines must be standard length and cannot hold more than eight rounds. No extended

base pads on magazines.

• Only standard grip safeties. No beavertail style grip safeties.

• Standard length magazine release. May not be extended or oversized.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY

Wild Bunch Shooters Handbook

~5~

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2010

Third Edition

• Standard thumb safeties only. May not be extended.

• Standard slide release. May not be extended.

• Standard recoil spring and guide. No full-length guide rods allowed.

• Short or long solid trigger permitted. No match triggers allowed.

• Flat or arched mainspring housings permitted. Mainspring housing may be serrated or

checkered.

• Lowered and flared ejection port is allowed ONLY if factory original. Standard ejection

ports may not be modified.

• Checkered front strap or trigger guard not allowed.

• Standard spur type hammer only.

• Lanyard loop is optional.

• Internal accurizing and action tuning is allowed.

• Thumb and grip safeties must function correctly.

• Note: “Standard” in all cases means Standard Military Specs.

MODERN CATEGORY MODIFICATIONS

• Barrel length must be five inches. No barrel porting or compensators or other recoil

reducing devices allowed.

• Unloaded pistol weight may not exceed 42 ounces with an empty magazine inserted.

• Barrel with standard barrel bushing. No Bull barrels allowed.

• Magazine wells may be beveled, but may not be oversized, extended or flared.

• Adjustable or non-adjustable rear sights and blade type front sights are allowed.

• Sights may not be optical or fiber optic. Colored inserts or dots are permitted.

• Stainless steel is permitted.

• Grips must be wood, plastic or other natural materials. No target style grips or thumb rests allowed. Wrap around grips that cover a portion of the front strap are illegal.

• Front and rear slide checkering or serrations allowed.

• No external “rib” allowed on top of slide. Original Colt Gold Cup ribs are legal.

• Extended beavertail grip safeties allowed.

• Magazines must be standard length and cannot hold more than eight rounds. No extended

base pads on magazines.

• Magazine release may be extended but not oversized.

• Thumb safeties may be extended and be ambidextrous.

• Slide release may be extended.

• Full-length recoil spring guide rod allowed.

• Lowered and flared ejection port allowed.

• Match trigger allowed.

• Lanyard loop is optional.

• Lightweight competition hammer allowed.

• Checkered front strap and trigger guard allowed.

• Flat or arched mainspring housing allowed. Mainspring housing may be serrated or

checkered.

• Internal accurizing and action tuning is allowed.

• Thumb and grip safeties must function correctly.

I shoot a box stock Springfield Armory. They also have a GI version that has the correct sights on it.

I shoot a Rock, an AO, and a Remington R1. Much prefer the R1 as it is very nice and has never jammed.

Only thing necessary to make the R1 legal for both Modern and Traditional categories is to black out the white dot sights, ten seconds work with a sharpie.

Also big plus for the R1 is the lowered and flared ejection port stock from the factory. The R1 is a great bargain for the price. Get one and you'll be good to go for SASS-WBAS. Oh yeah, made in USA too. :FlagAm:

Hey Two Ponies,

I have 2 Kimber Custom II's. One stainless - one blue.

They are both Wild Bunch Modern legal right out of the box. Some may tell you to change the rubber grips, but they ARE legal for Modern.

It is a very good choice for Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

KingSnake

To directly answer your question. Any of the following could be used for WB traditional and all would be great choices. The RIA is a great inexpensive choice. Many Colts (1911A1s) that are widely available would also be good choices.

http://www.rockislan...fs_pistols.html

http://www.para-usa....istol.php?id=79

http://www.springfie...ory.php?model=6

Hope this helps,

GR

+1 In addition, Cimarron and Taylors are both importing a nice 1911 (not A1) that's pretty much like the doughboys carried back in WWI..........

.....I don't remember it myself, but they tell it was in all the papers! :lol:

It meets all of the requirements for the Modern catagory. Kimber Custom II :)

The Kimber Custom is a excellent choice, IMNSHO! :)

I know Para Odnance and Springfield Armory make 1911s specifically for Wild bunch.

taylor does a great traditionial one, I got one, so I dont beat up my REAL old colt

but the mags they ship with it

dont fly, but thats minor

The Springfield Armory 1911-A1 GI meets all the requirements for Traditional Class right out of the box. The Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 GI model meets the requirements as well.

Do not know if they are still importing them but one was coming in from the Philippines under the old High Standard banner. Good workable gun with the use of dependable mags but definitely rough and needed some break-in time, a good smith could really improve the feel of its action. Just from looking at this post indicates that there are plenty of good traditional style guns to be had. Unless one already had a custom gun, or was competing in another format that used upgraded guns, I think it would only makes sense to go with a traditional design to play in a game based on the Wild Bunch.

Do not know if they are still importing them but one was coming in from the Philippines under the old High Standard banner. Good workable gun with the use of dependable mags but definitely rough and needed some break-in time, a good smith could really improve the feel of its action. Just from looking at this post indicates that there are plenty of good traditional style guns to be had. Unless one already had a custom gun, or was competing in another format that used upgraded guns, I think it would only makes sense to go with a traditional design to play in a game based on the Wild Bunch.

If they came from the Phillipines, I would guess that these were made by Armscor. Armscor started making 1911 pattern pistols in the 50's under military contract. They are imported to the US under many brand names: Rock Island, STI, Charles Daly, etc. They are generally considered to be solid pistols at a good price.

If I want to shoot MODERN, I shoot my Kimber TLE.

If I wanna shoot Traditional, I shoot the Colt my grandpa brought back from chasin Pancho Villa with General Pershing.

FWIW...YMMV..SOso

Archived