SASS Wire Forum

Heating a hammer

Finagler 6853 Life

I am contemplating heating the hammer on my Rmmington 58 so I an tweak it (bend it) so it is easier to reach and cock. If I heat it up sufficeintly to bend the metal, will this burn off the color case hardening? I plan on using one of those micro torches to keep the heat concentrated.

Wouldn't altering the hammer spur angle be considered an "external modification?" I honestly don't know - perhaps that rule went by the wayside. I'm pretty sure no one would care if you did it.

Semi Conductor

They are swapping hammers in Rugers so I figured that changing the profile of the 58 wouldn't be a problem.

I'm just fishing anyway. Looking to learn something.

Being that your a TG then you should know....... :rolleyes:

I bet it's NOT a legal mod. on a '58 ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Respectfully,

LG

Please refer to the "HAMMERS" section of the SASS Firearms Covenants. (SHB p.4)

Respectfully,

LG

Why would it be legal for some guns but not '58s?

• All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not

prohibited in these Covenants.

HAMMERS

• Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size

(e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice

versa).

• Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a

revolver).

• Bisley style revolver hammers may only be used when mated with a Bisley style grip frame.

• Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened

hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

Why would it be legal for some guns but not '58s?

My point exactly...there is no distinction in the rules re: cartridge and/or conversion vs. percussion revolvers.

Legal Mod!

Unless you get the temperature up pretty high, you'll likely end up with a two-piece hammer. I'm not sure you can git er done with a microtorch.

Shooters Handbook, page 4:

HAMMERS

• Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size

(e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice

versa).

• Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a

revolver).

• Bisley style revolver hammers may only be used when mated with a Bisley style grip frame.

• Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened

hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

• Hammer stops may be added.

• The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted.

• Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened.

• Hammer spur grooves may be recut.

From above, it appears that you can replace a hammer with another hammer made for that frame.

Not sure myself, but are these the same as a replacement hammer?

If not, I do not understand why the mod would be allowed.

If not, I do not understand why the mod would be allowed.

Howdy

I'm pretty sure that not too long ago, bending hammer spurs was not allowed. So some of us who are not completely up on what is legal today may not be be aware that it is OK now.

Archived