SASS Wire Forum

Is this allowed?

MMJ#89586

I noticed while dry firing my blackhawk a while back that once you cock it and pull the trigger all you have to do from then on is pull the hammer back and hold the trigger. Is this allowed for shooting a course? :blush:

Yup. Called slip hammering, I believe. Never was very good at it.

As others have said, yes it is legal. You need to practice and be careful with it though or you'll not only get misses but an AD now and then. I've always thought it's more for the experienced competitor looking to shave that extra half second off their time. Myself I still have to think too much and have only tried it a few times on a very large dump target.

This is an interesting and intriquing method in our shooting.

Although its a widely held belief that your top guns and speed shooters use this method, in actuality, a good many of your top shooters and speed shooters pull the trigger for each shot. And there are some top shooters who also slip hammer.

I know that I pull the trigger for each shot and if I'm not mistaken, Deuce also pulls the trigger for each shot.

..........Widder

I was always told that it is a good way to miss faster.

I think you might be right. However if I can do it I think it might make me a little faster. Maybe not too; I just have to try it.

Well this is good to know. I might try it. I did notice that it was a little trickey though. I swear I learn something new about this sport every day.

If you thought it was tricky just dry firing you should see how hard it is with live ammo. :blink:

I pull the trigger for each shot.........but then again my triggers are probably a pound or less......so there may be a time where I'm working them somewhere in between..........but in my mind I'm always pulling the trigger..

CW

I pull the trigger for each shot.........but then again my triggers are probably a pound or less......so there may be a time where I'm working them somewhere in between..........but in my mind I'm always pulling the trigger..

CW

I think I'll probably be pulling the trigger every time too. But I'm still going to check it out.

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

Lock your wrist out -and only use this on targets under 5 yrds or dump targets

it can work but take care it can cause fast misses ;)

Just for reference, the source of slip-hammering being legal is in the SASS Handbook Safety Rules (#20)

20. SASS matches are not fast draw competitions. Any unsafe gun handling in the course of a

draw from the holster or any “fanning” will result in the shooter’s disqualification from that

stage. “Slip-hammering” is not the same as fanning and is legal.

I have nerve damage in my hands and only a little feeling in my fingers. So I decided to try slip-hammering. Initially I had more missed shots, but after a few weeks I became more accurate slip-hammering than using the trigger on each shot. The keys for me are having a strong grip and good recoil control. Just don't let go of the hammer until your sights are on the target.

Practice, practice, practice. It's only a matter of when to let the hammer fall. The first shot is pull the trigger when target is on sight then hold on tight. Works for me. Just practice, practice and practice. Timing is important in slip hammering.

I do it on dump targets,but i don't try to break speed records or I get misses.

for me it is still faster than pulling the trigger each time,but it do take some practice and concentration.

Personally I find slip hammering easier than trying to cock and pull the trigger really quickly. Like was said, a good grip and recoil control are important. May not be as easy with full case 45 loads. But you just pull the hammer back and when you're on target let it fall. Just like pulling the trigger, you need to be sure to have your sight picture before you let that hammer fall.

I noticed while dry firing my blackhawk a while back that once you cock it and pull the trigger all you have to do from then on is pull the hammer back and hold the trigger. Is this allowed for shooting a course? :blush:

Check this guy out. He slip hammers and is dang good at it. If you PM him he could probably give you some tips on technique.

Red River Ray

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Apparently I need advice on adding links ^_^

Archived