SASS Wire Forum

Henry Mare's leg .22

Holden A. Grudge

Since I have several kids of various ages it is hard to cut down a rifle for the younger ones without it being dang near way too small for the older ones. (I have 5 kids with three of them wanting to start shooting)

What is the legality of using a Henry Mare's leg in .22 for the youngest? Would be basicly the same gun as cutting down the Henry .22 I already have.

My youngest son is 7 going on 8 and small framed so there is a good chance the mare's leg would be perfect for him. It would be fired from the shoulder like a rifle.

I can honeslty say that I haven't looked at them yet to see if it would fit him for a rifle but am seriously curious about the legality for a buckaroo.

I would suggest contacting HRA & get a spare buttstock (or 2) for the rifle you already have.

IMO...the "mare's leg" version would likely be TOO short...aside from NOT being approved for SASS use.

hmmmm. wonder if since they are based on the same frame, if the mares leg stock would fit the regular Henry. Will have to check into that.

But as you say, it may be too short. Will have to do some hands on to find out, assuming I can find one localy to look at.

I'm in the same boat. My oldest will be old enough soon but the Browning 22 rifle I bought is too big for her. I thought the mare's leg would foot the bill until she got older, then I would give her the browning and pass the mare's leg to the next one in line and so forth. oh well

hmmmm. wonder if since they are based on the same frame, if the mares leg stock would fit the regular Henry. Will have to check into that.

But as you say, it may be too short. Will have to do some hands on to find out, assuming I can find one localy to look at.

What I meant was to see if you can get an extra RIFLE buttstock to cut down to fit your Buckaroos.

;)

The .45 version with a regular stock would make a great "TRAPPER".... but barrel length would have to be addressed as it is sold as a pistol. :P

Before anyone buys a Mare's Leg & then puts a standard rifle stock on it you better check with the ATF. I may be mistaken but the Mare's Leg is classified as a pistol and I believe putting a rifle stock on it would change it to a short rifle which is illegal unless you have it done by a Class III dealer and do all the paperwork & fees through the ATF before you take possession of it. The ATF fees, photographs & finger prints would cost you over $200, not including the cost of the gun & dealer fees.

Wouldn't be any problem though buying a 22 lever action and putting a youth stock on it because it is made as a rifle at the factory.

Howdy,

If you arent dead set on the henry and might happen to have a ruger 1022,

There are plenty of extra stocks for sale at most any gun show.

You could saw a birch stock off at whatever length you like.

If you must have a buttpad, consider trimming a mousepad and

glueing it to the end of the stock.

If you wanted to, hang onto the end of the stock and it could

be cut into spacers for a good fit for growing younguns.

I dont know if ruger still makes lever action 22s.

At one time they did.

Best

CR

Before anyone buys a Mare's Leg & then puts a standard rifle stock on it you better check with the ATF. I may be mistaken but the Mare's Leg is classified as a pistol and I believe putting a rifle stock on it would change it to a short rifle which is illegal unless you have it done by a Class III dealer and do all the paperwork & fees through the ATF before you take possession of it. The ATF fees, photographs & finger prints would cost you over $200, not including the cost of the gun & dealer fees.

Wouldn't be any problem though buying a 22 lever action and putting a youth stock on it because it is made as a rifle at the factory.

"The ATF doesn't have any rules against converting a pistol into a rifle. They get involved when you try and go the other direction, i.e. rifle converted to pistol."

I may need to amend my statement above. The conversion of rifle to handgun has always been called the creation of an NFA (National Firearms Act) and is subject to a lot of ATF rules/restrictions. I'm still looking for the regs that pertain to converting pistols to rifles. Thompson Center got into a legal wrangle with the ATF over converting rifles to pistols and vice versa. As far as I can tell the issue is still not settled. I apologize to taking this thread down a different trail. I’ll keep looking and start a new thread if I find anything.

Holden A Grudge; I wish you the best in outfitting your younger shooters with hardware. Yours is a good problem to have.

Semi Conductor

It is my understanding that attaching a rifle stock to a pistol, which the Mare's leg is, would create an SBR. This must be done by a Class II. It would have to go through the ATF as a Class III firearm.

The example that comes to mind is a Broomhandle Mauser. You can not legally attach a stock to it unless it has the original with matching serial numbers.

Wyatt

Who did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night but does work with a Class III that does a lot of these kind of transactions

I have one of the Henry Mare's Leg 22's just picked up last week and shot it for fun this past weekend. In my opinion the Mares Leg will still be too short regardless. Having had my son Rattlesnake start shooting CAS when he was 5 and based on where I cut the stock on his Henry youth model the Mares Leg is too short. Therefore I would agree with the above mentioned and maybe get a couple extra stocks for a youth model. The other issue with the Mares Leg is that the lever being oversized is harder to minipulate for a young shooter. Of course that would depend on his technique.

Hope this helps,

Colt aka Rattlesnakes Dad

What I meant was to see if you can get an extra RIFLE buttstock to cut down to fit your Buckaroos.

;)

Thank you. I know that is what you meant and will probably be the way I go. I was just wondering if fitting the mare's leg stock to a standard youth model would cut out a step (having it cut) but it does make more sense to have one specificaly cut for my youngest.

My problem lies in teh fact that the oldest boy fits the uncut stock but the youngest boy doesn't. So in the process of thinking of a second .22 this question came up. So it looks like I will either get a second youth model, or maybe find a nice pump .22 and see how they like that, or buy myself a new rifle and let the oldest boy shoot my '92 (which he likes) and then cut the current .22 stock..........

So many choices............so little money :lol:

I have one of the Henry Mare's Leg 22's just picked up last week and shot it for fun this past weekend. In my opinion the Mares Leg will still be too short regardless. Having had my son Rattlesnake start shooting CAS when he was 5 and based on where I cut the stock on his Henry youth model the Mares Leg is too short. Therefore I would agree with the above mentioned and maybe get a couple extra stocks for a youth model. The other issue with the Mares Leg is that the lever being oversized is harder to minipulate for a young shooter. Of course that would depend on his technique.

Hope this helps,

Colt aka Rattlesnakes Dad

That is good to know. I will stick with custom fitting the current rifle to my youngest and look to going with one of the options I listed above.

Thank you!!

edited to add: I just wanted to say thank you for all the posts you have made recently, you have really encouraged me to get my kids into CAS. Especially the youngest boy who is the most excited about it. You and your son is an inspiration.

From the ATF:

Short Barreled Rifle

short-barreled-rifle.jpg

ClassificationShort Barreled RifleDistinctive CharacteristicsRifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

Rate of Transfer Tax$200.00The Henry Mare's Leg has a barrel length of 12.875" & is classified by the manufacturer as a pistol. To add a shoulder stock without going through a Class III dealer, background check & paying the $200 transfer tax would be illegal.

SC, in order to convert it to a rifle w/o going through the above he would have to put at least a 16" barrel on it. Might as well buy the boy a youth model. http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-youth.cfm

Chilli Ron the boy can't shoot a 10/22 in CAS.

And thank everyone for the advice and answers. It truly is great to have an activity I can share with the kids.

edited to add: I have no intention of puting a regular stock on a mares leg. But contemplated puting a mare's leg stock on a youth rifle to see if I could skip the step of having a regular stock cut. It of course would still have to maintain the minimum 16 inch length.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

;)

HRA makes a shorter "youth stock" .22. I know this because I just bought one for my grandsons.

That is good to know. I will stick with custom fitting the current rifle to my youngest and look to going with one of the options I listed above.

Thank you!!

edited to add: I just wanted to say thank you for all the posts you have made recently, you have really encouraged me to get my kids into CAS. Especially the youngest boy who is the most excited about it. You and your son is an inspiration.

Well thank you Holden mighty nice of you to say! The thanks really goes to you and the other parents and grandparents of young shooters for getting them involved. This sport has changed our lives for the better and I know it will do the same for anyone who gets into it. My theory is that in order to keep it you have to give it away that's why I tell all the people I can about our sport. I wish you all the best in your cowboy journey and please don't hesitate to ask me anything you like. I sure don't know it all but if I can save you time and money it would be my pleasure!

Colt

"The ATF doesn't have any rules against converting a pistol into a rifle. They get involved when you try and go the other direction, i.e. rifle converted to pistol."

I may need to amend my statement above. The conversion of rifle to handgun has always been called the creation of an NFA (National Firearms Act) and is subject to a lot of ATF rules/restrictions. I'm still looking for the regs that pertain to converting pistols to rifles. Thompson Center got into a legal wrangle with the ATF over converting rifles to pistols and vice versa. As far as I can tell the issue is still not settled. I apologize to taking this thread down a different trail. I’ll keep looking and start a new thread if I find anything.

Holden A Grudge; I wish you the best in outfitting your younger shooters with hardware. Yours is a good problem to have.

Semi Conductor

==========================

The only legal way to convert a pistol to a rifle is if you put a longer (16" minimum) barrel on it otherwise it is a SBR Short Barreled Rifle and comes under NFA rules just like machine guns.

• 3 months later...

Howdy,

If Henry can copyright 'mares leg' can I copyright 'rifle'?

Yep, Im copyrightin 'rifle' and ever time you use the term ya gotta pay me a quarter.

Instead of 'rifle' you can call it 'the long barreled shootin thingie'.

Best

CR

Call Henry.

Tell them what you want to do. Cut down a stock to fit a young one.

They have been known to send a butt stock out for just this

reason at no charge.

Not saying they will do it every time. But I know they have done it in the past.

Then keep the one that came with it for later.

Even if you bought a couple of butt stocks to cut.

That is still cheaper than a new rifle.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Don't take this as criticism, Pards.

Why would you want to put a buttstock on the Mare's Leg?

It is a handgun by BATF/NFA and SASS standards.

And it still won't hold 'nuff bullets for a main match SASS rifle.

IMHO: Cut down a Brazillian M-92 (on both ends) if you want something short.

Don't go shorter than 16" on the barrel.

Mustang Gregg

(shootin' M-92's too)

Since I have several kids of various ages it is hard to cut down a rifle for the younger ones without it being dang near way too small for the older ones. (I have 5 kids with three of them wanting to start shooting)

What is the legality of using a Henry Mare's leg in .22 for the youngest? Would be basicly the same gun as cutting down the Henry .22 I already have.

My youngest son is 7 going on 8 and small framed so there is a good chance the mare's leg would be perfect for him. It would be fired from the shoulder like a rifle.

I can honeslty say that I haven't looked at them yet to see if it would fit him for a rifle but am seriously curious about the legality for a buckaroo.

how old do you have to be to shoot buckaroo?????Also how difficult is it for a 7yr,old to work the big lever on a mare's leg...what's it got a 12inch barrel??????..I won't let my grand kids near one....How old should you be to safely handle a pistol by yourself?????3 maybe 4???????Duck I say!!!

how old do you have to be to shoot buckaroo?????Also how difficult is it for a 7yr,old to work the big lever on a mare's leg...what's it got a 12inch barrel??????..I won't let my grand kids near one....How old should you be to safely handle a pistol by yourself?????3 maybe 4???????Duck I say!!!

Wow after three months this topic popped back up. Just so everybody knows. I gave up on the idea of the mare's leg a long time ago.

I have no intention of handing any of my kids guns that they cannot handle or cannot shoot with the utmost safety. I firmly beleive that a CAS match is not the place to learn proper gun handling and will ensure that any of my kids that shoot know what they are doing well before attempting to shoot in a match setting.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Wow after three months this topic popped back up. Just so everybody knows. I gave up on the idea of the mare's leg a long time ago.

I have no intention of handing any of my kids guns that they cannot handle or cannot shoot with the utmost safety. I firmly beleive that a CAS match is not the place to learn proper gun handling and will ensure that any of my kids that shoot know what they are doing well before attempting to shoot in a match setting.

I picked up a Henry 22 with the youth stock on it for my grandkids and it is SASS legal too. When they grow out of it I will just get the standard stock for it.

Archived