SASS Wire Forum

looking for copy of book

Trigger Mike

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Civil War History of the 42nd Georgia Volunteers CSA GA? It was printed in 1900 I think. All I can find is the kindle or CD version. My Wife's folks were in that unit and our youngest was named after the one who died on the way home from a yankee POW camp.

also try the usual book dealers online, but check out "Rare" and "Out of print"

..and don't forget www.libraryofcongress.org!

I looked at Battle of Chicamauga the 42nd GA on Wikipedia which has quite a lot of info and names; and the references and credits at the end are very long --so something might be there.

three stars*** from the teacher, Grizz :)

three stars*** from the teacher, Grizz :)

And none for me??? :(

Bummer. My Great Grandpa was in the 48th. After seeing this thread, I had hopes there might be a similar book on them. Apparently not.

Bummer. My Great Grandpa was in the 48th. After seeing this thread, I had hopes there might be a similar book on them. Apparently not.

Do you know the full name of the unit? You might be surprised.

ADDED:

look for: For Home and the Southland: A History of the 48th Georgia Infantry Regiment by John Zwemer.

They're a bit pricey like a lot of the out of print histories.

48th Georgia

BUT...he might be able to get it from a library.

True. I just assumed he wanted a copy due to the family history.

You assumed correctly, Bob.

Company G, 48th Volunteer Georgia Infantry, outa Macon. Uncles Andrew, George and John and Grandpa Stephen all enlisted the same day, and mustered out the same time. Nice none of 'em got kilt, what with the 48th having over 440 casualties during the Late Unpleasantness, and only having 193 men left at the surrender.

Trigger Mike, did you find what you were looking for with the replies here?

yes I did, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH too all. It took me a while though as I lost this posting. I book marked the on line version but also bought a copy from Amazon. My wife will read it and likely give it to our youngest when he is old enough. I still say the best line in any movie is from Pitty Pat in Gone With The Wind, "YANKEES! In Georgia! How did they ever get in?!"

Archived