SASS Wire Forum

Jesse James Murdered

Well GOOD for Bob Ford!!!!!

He rid the world of a murderer and thief!!!

And as far as shooting him in the back..."well his back was to him".

BH :rolleyes:

Well GOOD for Bob Ford!!!!!

He rid the world of a murderer and thief!!!

And as far as shooting him in the back..."well his back was to him".

BH :rolleyes:

I have often pondered these types of thoughts also but usually in the end come to the conclusion that it was very different times back then and while I can say with certain how I would act today since im living it....I cant say what I would have done back then....even though I have a good guess.

The rural south after the Civil War was a nasty place to be for Southern Men...or Southern Sympathizers. The men who had the bravery (or were just crazy enough) to take back from the Yankees were often looked at as a hero in many eyes.

I am not debating wrong or right but simply that the times were different in many ways.......but the same in many also. :blink:

I know what you are saying Rube. It was a different time back then. You really cannot judge Jesse unless you share the same experiences as he did. He fought in the Civil War like his brother under Quantrill. His step-father was hung by Union soldiers looking for information. Jesse himself was beaten by Union soldiers while working in the field because they wanted information on Frank. Then later Pinkerton agents blew off his mothers arm and killed his step brother.

I am not saying that what Jesse did was right. But until you know what it was like to live in those times and shared the same experiences you really cannot judge him. For instance, the bank robbery in Northfield, Minn. They robbed that bank (or tried to) because their war enemies' money was held there. In their minds they were still fighting the war... something that many war veterans today can understand.

Judge not, les ye be judged.

WOW!!! So I guess the 10s of thousand of boys that came home, planted a garden, built a cabin in the wilderness, and went back to earning a living,guys like my two great-great grandfathers...were just sucker!!!

I didn't realize there was an acceptable excuse for murder and robbery!!

So I guess if a poor boy from the inner city ghetto, murders and robs his way though your neighborhood, we shouldn't judge him...after all maybe some mean ol cop slapped him around once!!!

R I G H T!!!!!!!!!!!

BH :wacko:

Come on Jess, you know better than that. The Rape, Murder and Robbery of civilians has been universally condemned by every age in U.S history. The James/Younger gang, Quantrill's Raiders, Bloody Bill Anderson's company, etc used the cover of war to commit barbaric atrocities that were denounced both the North and South alike, during and after the Civil War. The chief reason that the James Gang was able to "disappear" in Missouri after each robbery was that they would spend the stolen money locally where they were hiding. Cash money was in short supply in the South after the economic downturn directly attributable to the War. Besides, the Northfield Raid was a full 20 years after the Civil War. And Jesse's death was in 1882. Almost 30 years after the end of the War. Everything that happened to them, was well deserved.

Buzzard

I think you are misunderstanding me. I never said that what Jesse did was right by any means. But I have learned to not to judge others unless I know where they've been. I can't even begin to imagine the life Jesse had. The James Younger gang was more of a band of guerrillas, still fighting the Civil War. I have a couple of cousins who have fought in wars, and when they came back they were never the same. They needed that adrenaline rush that came with a gunfight. They still felt like fighting... and they had run ins with the law because of it. War can do some crazy things to some people.

I don't agree with what Jesse did at all. What he did was terrible and he needed to be punished for it. I can't say that he deserved to die for what he did, as only the Lord can say that. But he probably did have it coming to him. He was a murderer. Plain and simple.

And yes, people do commemorate the deaths of Jesse's victims. Every year the city of Northfield, Minn. holds "Jesse James Days." Which the town celebrates how they defended themselves against the James-Younger Gang and honors the heroic death of Joseph Lee Haywood. They make a point each year to announce that they are not celebrating Jesse James, but the heroes of Northfield that fought/ gave their lives to defend the bank and its citizens.

Nope - we decide who lives or dies for their actions...we Judge here on earth!

That's the way it's supposed to be.

God judges whether they get into heaven or not...depending on your faith.

:FlagAm:

I know that ultimately to have law we need to judge. We do are best to do what is best for society; and sometimes that is to put someone to death. I know and understand that. I could never do it, as I personally could never get over the fact that I chose to make someone die. I guess my feelings for that carry over to my feelings on the whole subject.

WOW!!! So I guess the 10s of thousand of boys that came home, planted a garden, built a cabin in the wilderness, and went back to earning a living,guys like my two great-great grandfathers...were just sucker!!!

I didn't realize there was an acceptable excuse for murder and robbery!!

So I guess if a poor boy from the inner city ghetto, murders and robs his way though your neighborhood, we shouldn't judge him...after all maybe some mean ol cop slapped him around once!!!

R I G H T!!!!!!!!!!!

BH :wacko:

No indeed. I dont think anyone is saying what they did was right.

You are attracted to the Wild West, No? Without those guys such as J.W. Hardin, Billy The kid, Jesse James etc......the west would not have been Wild. Sure, those guys had some screws loose to make them do the things they did. I dont think anyone is denying that.....its still fun to read about and learn about a time when laws were few this country was still being built.

No indeed. I dont think anyone is saying what they did was right.

You are attracted to the Wild West, No? Without those guys such as J.W. Hardin, Billy The kid, Jesse James etc......the west would not have been Wild. Sure, those guys had some screws loose to make them do the things they did. I dont think anyone is denying that.....its still fun to read about and learn about a time when laws were few this country was still being built.

Actually there was plenty of wildness in the frontier West without mankillers like the James boys, JW Hardin, the Daltons, and their ilk. The dime novels, and later Hollywood, made it seem like a gunfight at high noon was an everyday occurrence in every town west of St. Louis.

There were stampedes, raging fires, Indian attacks, water feuds, saloon brawls, tornadoes, blizzards, and a lot of action. Wild times for sure.

I've never understood the fascination with evil-doers. Must be something wrong with me. Probably my innate wimpyness. <_<

Howdy

So who knows what the gun was that Bob Ford used?

Ooooo, oooooo, oooooo, Mr Johnson over here!!!

I do, I do, I do, I do!

This one ;)

Actually there was plenty of wildness in the frontier West without mankillers like the James boys, JW Hardin, the Daltons, and their ilk. The dime novels, and later Hollywood, made it seem like a gunfight at high noon was an everyday occurrence in every town west of St. Louis.

There were stampedes, raging fires, Indian attacks, water feuds, saloon brawls, tornadoes, blizzards, and a lot of action. Wild times for sure.

I've never understood the fascination with evil-doers. Must be something wrong with me. Probably my innate wimpyness. <_<

I understand what you are saying and I def respect that. I myself am fascinated by what went on then. All of the things you talk about along with the people like Hardin, James, Burrows and others. With many of them something happened to them to make then the way they were and often times the legend was much more than what really happened. I think as a whole people look at most of them and identify a certain thing that happened which led them to their life of crime (wrong or right) with the exception of Hardin who is looked at by many as just a plain out and out killer, possibly for sport or just the hell of it.

Most people then and today a like are sheep and just follow every rule they are given. We can all agree that what James was doing was wrong. Yeah, he could have just fell in with the heard of sheep and kept on farming and doing what he was told. He choose to wage war against the north in his own way and those who supported the north. I find that interesting. I dont celebrate James for being a killer and a thief but im interested in the bigger picture of what made him stand up and do what he did. Hatred of the north, greed and meanness are all part of what fueled him. To me and thousands of others, that is interesting.

Driftwood, like Wild Bill, I've seen pictures of him posing with a 7 1/2 inch Colt alleged to be a Frontier Six Shooter (44-40). But I have no idea if it's true or just what the photographer had on hand in the studio.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, it was a New Model Number Three, SN 3766.

I dunno what finish it had, but this is what one looks like.

S&W New Model Number Three

Jesse James was a hero and a freedom fighter, betrayed by a "Judas" whose name is not worthy to be mentioned.The coward shot him in the back while he lived in Jesse's house, eating Jesse's food sleeping in Jesse's bed.Jesse faught against forces larger than all of us and won!!! The evidence of this, were still talking about him today. Long live Jesse James!!!

. We can all agree that what James was doing was wrong.

Apparently, not all of us agree on that. :lol:

Howdy

So who knows what the gun was that Bob Ford used?

As a matter of fact I do, the owner of the company I am currently contracting at thru Robert Half. Bill Koch told me he not only owned Frank James' 1875 Remington but he also owned Bob's Ford's gun and when I asked him if it was a COLT he told me it was a S&W. It was at the company's Christmas party and I finally got the courage to talk with him concerning my Great Grandfather being kidnapped one night in Ohio and taken to the James gang hideout where as a doctor he took a bullet out of Jesse. That's how I started the conversation, we had something in common with the James gang. Mr. Koch is also the captain of the 1992 America's Cup winner, America 3. A very nice, soft spoken man who owns a lot of John Wayne's memorabilia as well. Our parties the last 2 years have been at a hunting lodge with western attire encouraged. I dressed up in my Duke "replica" clothes and he had on all purchased authentic John Wayne clothing. He could as he is about 6'4" and me being 6'1" I still had to look up. Hopefully I will get an opportuntiy to see it as well as the rest of his collection before my assignment runs out.

Archived