SASS Wire Forum

triple seven

Guest Texas Jack Black

Guest Texas Jack Black

Looking for the pressure curve data for triple seven .I read that some use it in 3f for their pistols .I have also read that may push the curve and a pressure of over 30,000 could be created Any info would be appreciated.

T J B

I would get in touch with Mike Daly a.k.a. Birdshot at Hodgdon. If anybody would have the answer it's him.

Phone: 913-362-9455 Fax: 913-362-1307 E-mail: help@hodgdon.com

If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

I don't know the numbers, but 777 ffg gets mighty energetic when compressed behind a heavy bullet. YES, you can see primer and case sign that is very much like a pressure well into the 20s if not more when you crush those little puffy grains. In strong guns, I have played with hefty doses in my short .45s, and yes, it gets mighty lively, too lively for Colts and clones IMHO. STICK TO KNOWN DATA and ya have no problems, push the program, it is not foolproof......

This was way back; when I was first considering BP and looked at subs I called Hodgdon and bent a guys ear for quite a while. 777 is identical to BP but it is 15% hotter which means all things being equal, identical charges of 777 will show a 15% increase in velocity but the pressure is the same. We talked at length about this because I have some old guns I'd rather not blow up.

You definitely do not want to compress 777. Unlike real BP it doesn't like it and you can get erratic ignition and worse. 2f generally is "poofier" than 3f but it depends largely on the powder. You'll have to shoot your loads over a chrono to see what they are doing.

Texas Jack - if you find out what the max pressures are, could you post them? I've searched for the data, and all that's out there is anecdotes and opinions.

I've been using 777 for a few years now, and have found it works real well with about 1/16" of compression. I spoke with Birdshot before I started loading with it, and that is apparently OK. The trouble begins when you fill the case to the brim and smash it down into a solid pellet.

I've also only used the FFg in 357, 45, 45-70, and 12 gauge. The FFFg is reserved for my cap-n-ball guns.

.I read that some use it in 3f for their pistols. I have also read that may push the curve and a pressure of over 30,000 could be created

Jack, you best go to the Hodgdon website and read the Triple 7 loading for all revolvers that is:

* Only FFg powder for all center fire calibers

* You'll note when you read the data, that all calibers for C&B Steel Frame Triple Seven Loading Date is FFFg

So what in Sam Hill's name are you mucking around about pressure curves for if you use the correct grade of powder?

You might also tell the person who wrote about using FFFg in center fire revolver calibers to read the data too

http://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

Archived