SASS Wire Forum

I want to dress up a holster with concho and spots.

I have two double loop holsters for 7 1/2" barrels (Oklahoma Leather). I wanted to dress them up with conchos and spots on the loops. I took the holster to the local Tandy leather to buy the conchos and spots. The guy at Tandy recommended I not do this because it would either rip the corners of the loops from pulling on them or damage the holster underneath. He said best thing was if I could pull holster out of loops but he didn't think that was possible either.

Any ideas?

CPK

I have two double loop holsters for 7 1/2" barrels (Oklahoma Leather). I wanted to dress them up with conchos and spots. I took the holster to the local Tandy leather to buy the conchos and spots. The guy at Tandy recommended I not do this because it would either rip the corners of the loops from pulling on them or damage the holster underneath. He said best thing was if I could pull holster out of loops but he didn't think that was possible either.

Any ideas?

CPK

Chili....best to give me a call so we're on the same page. But should not have a problem putting on your conchos. 505-252-0589.

Can't call ya tonight, I already have the kids in bed. It's quite time at the Chili Pepper Kid homestead.

CPK

I would start by wetting the holster. Once the leather is soft, you should be able to pull it out of the loops without damage. You will only want to add spots on the loop leather and not the holster as the prongs on the spots with scratch your guns if you put them on the holster leather. You could do a lace on concho using some saddle string to add a concho to the holster part.

If you add spots to the loops, you could cut a small piece of hardwood to fit through the loops so that you have a firm surface in which to set the spots.

Once the spots are set, I would use something as a temporary shield to protect the holster finish as you slide it back through the loops. Oil up the gun, throw it in a plastic bag and stuff it in the holster to get the shape back.

Once it dries you should be good to go.

Normally the oiled holsters, what yours looks like, are fairly pliable and should untuck without to much trouble. A little squeezing here and there should get the swell past the Cheyenne lock. Once it is laid out open, with the skirt flat on the bench ,it will become just a standard spot application for the skirt portion BUT I would forget conchos, due to the narrow look of those loops. Properly set, you should not have any problems with the spots marring the leather under neath but there is a trick if you are concerned. A thin piece of slick plastic sheeting can be wrapped around the holster body to protect and aid in reinserting into the loops. A very good illustration of spot work can be found in the Holster Making DVD put out by Chuck Burrows at http://www.wrtcleather.com/ ,just look along the left border for the two DVDs he offers. Also a great site for those who 'think' they have seen the best. Chuck and many others can be found at the leather site over at CAS City and betwixt thet group of guys most gun leather problems can be solved just fer the askin!

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hey Chilli, if you need help let me know I've had spots and concho's on all my cowboy holsters I make mexican coin conchos check out photobucket under whiskey runners page and if its still there it will show you some examples if not emule me and I'll try to send you a few pictures, by the way don't buy from tandy, you should buy from either Iowa Leather in Des Moines or Crazy Crow in Texas

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

PS my phone is 605-356-9497 I ride with the Nebraska Territorial Rangers

Thanks all!! Ya know that's one of best things about this forum is ya ask a question and ya get good sound advice from pards. I got those holsters good and wet and they pulled right out from the loops.

CPK

Archived