SASS Wire Forum

Shadow Shooting .....?

Widder, SASS #59054

Shadow shooting will get you sent home from elementary school.

Howdy my good Pard Widder,

I was told by our good friend Oracle (black pin RO) acting as a spotter one day because I held up a finger on the line to ensure I had the starting target right that I was shadow shooting and that was against the rules. I asked him to show me the rule and he could not. I have only been in CAS for 4 years now so it may have been a rule (either written or unwritten) in the past but it ain't there now. So for my 1 cent...you go right ahead fellow gunfighter and point to your hearts content.

Hi Kid,

I'd like to restate my original post...See post No. 23. :rolleyes::)

:wub:

Allie

and that, my friend, is why we have pages and pages of rule books. because just knowing something is inconsiderate and/or undesireable is no longer enough to keep people from doing something.

Oh really...that's interesting.

Shall we talk about how someone behaved at a certain State Championship...since we're getting into...you know, doing what's inconsiderate and/or undesireable?

Folks that get on here and act all above it all better make sure that their house ain't made of glass.

Fact is, that it ain't against the rules. Don't like it, change it. I've never been really bothered soooooo much by the OCCASIONAL shadow shooter that I lost sleep over it. Geeze!!! Grow up and spend your time worrying about important stuff...you know...like gee, did so-and-so make it through Chemo okay...or...I don't know, did so-and-so enjoy being back shooting after surgery.

THAT...my "Friend", is why we shoot CAS.

So tell me...do you want to talk ethics????????

Phantom

:FlagAm:

I haven't heard anyone bring it up in a long time. A few years back(guessing 5-7 maybe further) I shot at some major matches(reg & above) that it was announced at the shooters meeting that "shadow shooting a stage would result in a SDQ". Shadow shooting was defined as pretending to shoot the stage while staging the guns as the current shooter on the shooting line. "Shadow Shooting" at any other time was perfectly acceptable. Like I said I haven't heard anyone in years bring it up and I don't ever remember it being in the rule book, but I do remember it as possibly a range rule. Don't hold me to this either because of fuzzy memory but it seems like it was EOT, Mule Camp, and consequently a few other ranges that adopted it from them. I do know that to this day when many of the shooters I've shot with for years stage their guns as the current shooter they may take a look at the targets from the shooting position but are careful to keep their hands down in case someone would call the infamous "shadow shooting". I do remember the issue of shadow shooting predated the inception of the dry firing rule at the loading table. The issue that created the shadow shooting debate/range rule was as many have said the length of time it was taking from beep to beep one shooter to the next. Most all majors figure 2min beep to beep. There was a time when it was getting pretty far out of hand that people were running the stage during the time they were supposed to be staging their guns. Heck, now that I think about it, that issue may even have predated the TG conventions.

This I do know. Widder ....you did nothing wrong!

I do remember the issue of shadow shooting predated the inception of the dry firing rule at the loading table. The issue that created the shadow shooting debate/range rule was as many have said the length of time it was taking from beep to beep one shooter to the next. Most all majors figure 2min beep to beep. There was a time when it was getting pretty far out of hand that people were running the stage during the time they were supposed to be staging their guns. Heck, now that I think about it, that issue may even have predated the TG conventions.

This I do know. Widder ....you did nothing wrong!

Max,

That's pretty much my recollection of it also. I just went back thru my 1989 rule book, ain't in there... but I do remember it being a regular topic at bigger matches in the early '90s. Nor is either "shadow shooting" or "dry-firing" mentioned in the books I have from 1997 and after, but have misplaced the 1995 one, and aint' sure I ever saw the '92 version. And am missing several up to 2006, which is the first instance I have of the "dry firing" prohibition. I have to agree, it might have only been a range rule, never a SASS rule.

And, I never said it was against the rules... but, just like that fumblin' that first shotshell at the beginning of a stage, there's a point where it becomes tiresome to everyone else as you ask for re-start after restart! Just like most everything else, your right to swing your fist ends somewhere short of someone else's nose.

Personally you won't see me doing it, but not becasue I'm against it. I am usually thinking about whats for lunch or dinner or other important things like that so I have no time for shadow shooting. Do what ever you need to do that is within the rules. I have no problem with restarts either. I took one on my last stage at Winter Range after I flat out missed my chambers on my shotgun. Second time didn't go that much better but I went with it, ended up being one of my worst stages of the match. Should I have restarted again, I am sure it would not have helped. I hear lots being said about folks wasting time on the line but have seen many shooters go through their own special routine and still get to the unload table faster than the average CAS shooter. So let folks have their time when they are on the line.

Running every shot on a stage (shadow shooting) after being called to the line is an indication of the shooters unreadiness to engage the stage and should be treated as such.

Running every shot on a stage(shadow shooting)before going to the line is good preparation for the stage.

Running every shot on a stage (shadow shooting) after being called to the line is an indication of the shooters unreadiness to engage the stage and should be treated as such.

Running every shot on a stage(shadow shooting)before going to the line is good preparation for the stage.

So you are the TO and a shooter comes to the line and shadow shoots the stage before saying the shooter is ready in some fashion, what are you going to do about it? He is not doing anything against any rule!

Archived