SASS Wire Forum

new marlin wont cycle rounds

MMJ#89586

my 73's are far more ammo friendly

I lernt the hard way

(yes marlins can bee gud)

just like 73's better after wonly a half dozen marlins

Boy, that's supportive... :rolleyes:

Anyway, check the OAL like GCK says. Marlin's are EXCELLENT rifles. Also check to see if the round has a nice rolled crimp so there are no sharp edges to catch on anything. Be patient, it will all work out fine ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Dern, these are hard to give accurate fixes over the Wire because something of this nature could be caused by a few things, or a combination of some things.

It could be a timing problem with the carrier rising to far.....to fast.

It could be a burr at the entrance to your chamber

It could be an undersized chamber entrance

It could be a few things that require a knowledgable 'eye ball' to check out.

BUT, in my experience, its probably the following two items working together to cause this situation.

Sooooooo, here goes my best explanation.

FIRST & FOREMOST: get rid of all live rounds around your work area. USE DUMMY ROUNDS WHEN CHECKING OUT YOUR FEEDING SITUATIONS.

Number 1: Your EXTRACTOR is probably very stiff (overly strong).

You can visit Marauder's website on how to set your extractor spring to allow for easier operation when picking up a fresh round going into the chamber. DO NOT do the modification to bend the extractor.....only do the modification to your spring by straightening it as described on Marauders website.

Number 2: Also, I have found on some Marlins that the inside portion of the entrance to the left wing tries to guide your feeding round just alittle to much. If you can polish a portion of the entrance on the inside of the left wing, this allows the case to move forward towards the chamber alittle 'freeer' without being pushed sideways by the entrance area on the inside portion of the left wing.

I would do item #1 with the spring modification and then try to chamber rounds. Don't forget: USE DUMMY ROUNDS.

There is a chance that polishing the entrance to the inside portion of the left wing isn't necessary.

You have one other option, atleast for my suggestion: try to get a good Marlin gunsmith to check it out for you.

Without viewing the actual situation, its really hard sometimes to play Gun Doc on the Wire.

Holler back on the Wire or on my home phone this weekend ifn you feel like it.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: My post was written before I viewed the above post. The above post are also very good suggestions concerning OAL and bullet styles.

..........Widder (865/984-4455)

Snap caps cycle fine. Oal 160 I believe on the case. Swc bullet.

Think you just found your problem.

Get ya some round nose flat point for the rifle.

Ya might have to play around with the OAL to find what you rifle likes.

Never had any luck with SWC in any of my lever guns.

Would this be one of the New Marlins ???? Rem/Marlin

Jabez Cowboy

Yes brand new. Thing that bothers me is the snap caps work fine. But the real thing actually peeled one case a little when it jammed.

Yes brand new. Thing that bothers me is the snap caps work fine. But the real thing actually peeled one case a little when it jammed.

Anvil Al (and others) are spot on - the 'real thing' you are cycling are SWC - save those for the pistols and get some round nose flat point and see if that improves things (also make sure they have a nice crimp ;) )

Patience grasshopper :D

Anvil Al (and others) are spot on - the 'real thing' you are cycling are SWC - save those for the pistols and get some round nose flat point and see if that improves things (also make sure they have a nice crimp ;) )

Patience grasshopper :D

Patience, I know, but I panicked, Sorry about that.

They don't make a TC bullet for 45 that I'm aware of Chickamauga Charlie for cowboy loads, RNFP as others have said will work just fine, pick your grain of bullet and load them up, might want to do some dummies first to see what OAL your marlin likes, every marlin is different, what one OAL length for one may not work as well in another, I should know, I have 5 of them, had to experiment with OAL to get them to work in my marlins as well as my 73's, YMMV.

Check out Marauders web site, good tips for smoothing up the marlin

All for now JD Trampas

JD Trampas

Two-Alpha-Bullet, from our home state of Iowa, makes a 225 grain TC bullet for .45's. Don't know about commercial made rounds but since you were taking about "roll-your-owns" I am quite positive they would work in Cowboy loads.

Just saying,

Marlin(Who prefers 44-40)Buckhorn

Marlin Buckhorn, I stand corrected, guess they do, never have seen any at any shoots that I have been to, they have been all RNFP, can always learn something new on this here wire for sure, I will stick with the RNFP though

All for now JD Trampas

They don't make a TC bullet for 45 that I'm aware of Chickamauga Charlie for cowboy loads, RNFP as others have said will work just fine, pick your grain of bullet and load them up, might want to do some dummies first to see what OAL your marlin likes, every marlin is different, what one OAL length for one may not work as well in another, I should know, I have 5 of them, had to experiment with OAL to get them to work in my marlins as well as my 73's, YMMV.

Check out Marauders web site, good tips for smoothing up the marlin

All for now JD Trampas

A Pard of mine in Wisconsin loads .45 caliber maxi Balls from a T/C designed Lyman mold for his henry in .45 Colt...

You might want to try these.

230gr truncated cone bullet

They also make a 200 grain but in might be a bit short to cycle properly.

Most bullet manufacturers will send you a sample to try in your rifle for no charge.

Find one that your rifle likes and then have fun.

I had the same problem with my new 1894 in .44 Magnum, would not cycle a factory .44 Magnum to save it's life. Kept working with it at the range, and slowly cycling it while watching the round as it tried to enter the chamber. Found it was hanging up on the lip of the case, as they were not heavily crimped (jacketed factory bullets). Loaded up some dummy rounds at home, using a 240 grain TC bullet from Missouri Bullets. Made sure to apply a good roll crimp to them, and they feed and chamber extremely well in my Marlin.

I had the same problem with my new 1894 in .44 Magnum, would not cycle a factory .44 Magnum to save it's life. Kept working with it at the range, and slowly cycling it while watching the round as it tried to enter the chamber. Found it was hanging up on the lip of the case, as they were not heavily crimped (jacketed factory bullets). Loaded up some dummy rounds at home, using a 240 grain TC bullet from Missouri Bullets. Made sure to apply a good roll crimp to them, and they feed and chamber extremely well in my Marlin.

I'm with you on this one. The original poster stated that he had seen brass ripped where it caught on the chamber entry. The bullet size was of no consequence by the time that happened. Sawdust Joe and I had the same problem when he started to shoot a Marlin. Tightening up a very slight amount on the crimp fixwd the problem immediately.

Archived