SASS Wire Forum

Drove 200 Miles

Turkey Creek Vic 80846

Drove to a shoot in NY today. 100 miles each way. Get there a find out its canceled do to bad weather. Its 50 degrees and the sun is shining. I guess cowboys are not as tough as they say? If that was an archery shoot it would of been on. Rain or shine. Maybe bowhunters have a little more fortitude? :blush:

You would think so. Yesterday it did rain. Weather man called for snow, but it was rain. I am at a loss for the cancellation :wub:

Same thing happened to me last weekend, only not 100 miles. Funny thing is I do the website for the club and had just talked to the MD the prior weekend, and no one bothered to let me know it was canceled so I could post it on the site. I know of at least one person who drove 2 hours to get there for nothing.

Sometimes you have to cancel a shoot based on the predicted weather. And predictions aren't always dead sure.

I always call someone before I head out to a shoot that's more than 50 miles. Especially with the price of gas these days.

All clubs should have websites and they need to keep them updated with info like that. No reason not to.

Another thing to keep in mind, that while it may be sunny and 50 outside, the condition of the range may not allow a shoot. It could be too muddy or for a non-SASS club I know of, their range floods if there is too much rain or snow.

I dunno where in NY the shoot was supposed to be, but yesterday much of New York was supposed to get heavy snow/rain that woulda made most any range a real mess. That the storm missed us was not apparant beforehand (11PM Thursday they were calling for a helluva mess),so yeah, somebody pulled the plug and got fooled by the weatherman, etc.... Better that than show up and have it 40 degrees and ankle-deep water and slush and the MD standing there ssying all was well......

When I shot out in CA, there were much smaller groups, far fewer selections to shoot at, and well... since I showed up the night before to set up and save the 2 hour drive on a Saturday morning, we shot rain, shine or snow! In TX, one of the first shoots I put on... we all stood around for a while as the wind whipped lightning flashed and hail fell... under a metal roofed cover. Tornado touched down a few miles away...

In both cases we publicly congradulated ourselves on our stalwartness... but privately we all probably cringed at our foolhardiness, and thanked our good fortune that the Lord smiled along with us, insteada decidin' to teach us a lesson!

I always call someone before I head out to a shoot that's more than 50 miles. Especially with the price of gas these days.

Yep, me ,too. Also contact someone at the club and request they call me if something comes up. Was 25 miles into a 100 mile drive one time and got a call from the MD. Saved me 150 extra miles for nothing, plus I was able to make it to another club in time to shoot.

I have ran into the same thing before…….I’m NOT saying this to dog pile on the club in question they may have a great reason for what they did and I’m staying out of that one . But that said we will not cancel a shoot for the weather period for the exact reason what happed to this poor fellow. You will never get the word out to everyone no matter how hard you try and some folks will shoot in just about any type of weather to boot. So, we show up every month regardless of the weather and sometimes we shoot and sometimes we don't but the folks that do show up get to make the decision…..I just make sure they don’t show to a Ghost town.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

there was a shoot I was planning to attend but it was cancelled because of flooding even though the rain had stopped. Range conditions can be a problem. Having said that, the last 3 matches I attended had threatening weather that almost persuaded me to stay home. Fortunately the rain held back and we had 3 great matches.

Archived