SASS Wire Forum

need help fast

MMJ#89586

Marlins are very good made-in-America guns that are very authentic. They have some room for tweaking (one-piece firing pins, deleting the redundant safety, one-piece ejector, better sights) for future projects. The side ejection also helps while shooting since the brass stays out of the line of sight.

The major difference in the cowboy and non-cowboy is that the cowboy version has Ballard rifling designed for lead bullets. The micro-groove rifling works okay but will build up lead quicker. This can be cleaned with available potions and elbow grease.

I have (too?) many lever-actions, but my Marlin .44 is the most dependable of the bunch.

Hi MMJ,

That is the rifle I plan to use for WB. I've also used it for team shoots where we chopped down a pole with our rifles and had rifle KDs.

However, my main match rifle is a .38. Ammo is cheaper.

Regards,

AM

Ain't that the truth. Ammo prices are crazy.

Marlins are very good made-in-America guns...

Or used to be anyway... the new Marlingtons I've received are most definitely not up to what Marlin was putting out before Remington's acquisition.

The actions are noticeably rougher and stiffer, the wood to metal fit is atrocious, and checkering on the butt stock and fore end are... different - one is much sharper than the other. This is based on only half a dozen I've received so far though; two 1894 .45's and 1895 .45-70's. I'll pass for the time being, and see what they look like in another year.

Yup ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, afterall what do the people in the new location know about lever-actions ????

Marlins were great guns when they were made by the people with lot's of expierence making ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Lever-actions !!!!

I have only seen one of the "new Marlins" a dealer sample ,,,,,,,,,, a one word discription of same would be ROUGH ......

Sad to say, but I will no longer recommend Marlins till and if they get them right ,,,, and I will not be holding my breath waiting .....

Jabez Cowboy

Most matches I go to, at least one shooter will have a problem with a Marlin. Not so with 66's, 73's, or 92's.

Archived