SASS Wire Forum

New Boot Rules?

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Apparently we have some new boot rules I have not seen published to date. In the April CC, Tex talks about knurled soles and soft squishy soles on boots being illegal. The only two categories with boot sole rules are Classic Cowboy and B Western (at least that I have seen). Did something happen on boot rules at the Convention that haven't been published to date? Dang miss one convention TG meeting, and see what happens. Can someone fill the rest of us in on these changes? The article is generally good about requiring folks to enforce the rules but a couple of his examples seem to use rules I can not find.

are they new rules

or suggested roy-hoppy "cowboy code" type

............................................guide lines

So what is the penalty for violating a Tex, roy-hoppy "cowboy code" type rule? I thought Tex lost the vote on Vibram type soles and soft soles several years ago except for Classic Cowboy and B Western boot soles?? Something must have changed and I can't find it?? Remember these examples were in an article about following the Handbook rules in all matches (except leeway for new shooters).

Incorrect. This section (two actually) ONLY apply to B-Western and Classic Cowboy.

There isn't anything of the sort for reg'lar competitors that I can find, GCK.

hasnt changed. soles cannot be grip enhancing ie "lug soles"

RO II pages 11 and 12 repeated.

It was just a clarification of the rules so not to fret.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL - “B” WESTERN

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO

Lug”) soles. Mocassins are not allowed. Shooters Handbook pages 15 - 16

Then shoes are mentioned again in the ROI manual page 27 line 11 ILLEGAL ITEMS

Tennis, running, jogging, aerobic or other modern athletic shoes, combat boots

Hope this helps

CTW

It was just a clarification of the rules so not to fret.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL - “B” WESTERN

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO

Lug”) soles. Mocassins are not allowed. Shooters Handbook pages 15 - 16

Then shoes are mentioned again in the ROI manual page 27 line 11 ILLEGAL ITEMS

Tennis, running, jogging, aerobic or other modern athletic shoes, combat boots

Hope this helps

CTW

We know the rules but maybe someone needs to tell Tex! If anyone thinks this is an April Fools Joke, read the darn April CC Editorial.

Thanks, but I never go there. Guess I'm old fashioned, but I like to read "the paper." Do appreciate the heads up, though.

I thought I'd save everyone the hassle of shipping me a hard copy and signed up for the electronic only version.

I've been regretting that decision. Its just hard for me to read, so I'm going to have to give you a big +1 on liking to read the paper.

I need to check into getting that changed.

I thought I'd save everyone the hassle of shipping me a hard copy and signed up for the electronic only version.

I've been regretting that decision. Its just hard for me to read, so I'm going to have to give you a big +1 on liking to read the paper.

I need to check into getting that changed.

The only difficulty I have with the electronic version is that I have issues holding the laptop on my knees while sitting on the porcelain chair.

You should know by now that Tex loves to stir stuff up.

Boy ain't that the truth.

I get the paper version, nice to have something to read in the outhouse, and when I'm done it serves other purposes if I run out of store bought paper...

The only difficulty I have with the electronic version is that I have issues holding the laptop on my knees while sitting on the porcelain chair.

AMEN!

Boy ain't that the truth.

I get the paper version, nice to have something to read in the outhouse, and when I'm done it serves other purposes if I run out of store bought paper...

Grizz:

Don't waste that old CC paper...the sheets are just the right size for lining your sink while you trim your wiskers...keeps the trimmings out of the plumbing....

LL

thats what i said! whats incorrect about that?!?

Here is exactly what you said:

"hasnt changed. soles cannot be grip enhancing ie "lug soles"

RO II pages 11 and 12 repeated."

You said nothing about the requirement for non grip enhancing soles only applied to BW and CC.

Laptop? Now why didn't I think of that! (a monitor, hard drive and keyboard on the bathroom sink counter sorts leaves little room for toothbrushes and such... :blink::blink:

Laptop? Now why didn't I think of that! (a monitor, hard drive and keyboard on the bathroom sink counter sorts leaves little room for toothbrushes and such... :blink::blink:

Well at least rolls of printer paper are available.

Here is exactly what you said:

"hasnt changed. soles cannot be grip enhancing ie "lug soles"

RO II pages 11 and 12 repeated."

You said nothing about the requirement for non grip enhancing soles only applied to BW and CC.

i told you where to look. if you took the time to do so instead of jumping on me, you would see that one page refers to classic cowboy and the other to b western. do i really need to quote the whole book for you?

CC

i told you where to look. if you took the time to do so instead of jumping on me, you would see that one page refers to classic cowboy and the other to b western. do i really need to quote the whole book for you?

CC

I guess the rest of us thought that a black badge RO instructor like yourself would have read the first post that started this thread where I said the following: "The only two categories with boot sole rules are Classic Cowboy and B Western (at least that I have seen)". The rest of us started there. If you are offended, so be it!

Especially if it decides to take a "swim." :o

Those "Non Lugged Soles" rules are obviously from people that live in warmer, drier areas. In my area, and many with worse conditions, snow, heavy rains, mud etc are a safety issue. If there is snow on the ground, you can bet that I am going to wear a boot with lugs. I will never fault anybody wearing them for safety reasons and if somebody has a beef with that, too bad. I can either shoot safely or not shoot at that time of the year. The 19th Century Cowboys would have gladly worn lugged boots had they been available, or available within their price ranges.... This is not about an unfair advantage.

Remember the first rule of shooting? SAFETY......

End of argument.

Those "Non Lugged Soles" rules are obviously from people that live in warmer, drier areas. In my area, and many with worse conditions, snow, heavy rains, mud etc are a safety issue. If there is snow on the ground, you can bet that I am going to wear a boot with lugs. I will never fault anybody wearing them for safety reasons and if somebody has a beef with that, too bad. I can either shoot safely or not shoot at that time of the year. The 19th Century Cowboys would have gladly worn lugged boots had they been available, or available within their price ranges.... This is not about an unfair advantage.

End of argument.

Yup.

End of argument.

I've shot many a monthly match in snow and mud wearing my Cordura, Gore-Tex, lugsoled Rocky hunting boots and I usually shoot Classic. Safety and commonsense prevail around here in bad weather.

End of argument.

Hi Sergeant,

Amen to that. I just took a quick walk last night (hubby wanted to show me something) and didn't change into my hiking boots. It can get very slippery on leaves, wet grass, and pine needles. I even broke my arm two years ago from slipping on wet grass on a slight incline.

I have fallen down at two matches from slipping on wet grass in nice weather. Both times I was holding guns. I was just lucky that I didn't do anything to get a DQ (read really dangerous). Wet grass can be an issue everywhere.

We had a shooter fall on wet porch boards and crack his back. The boards were replaced with decomposed granite, which is a wonderful surface for us. At that time, folks talked about not having movement between guns in some weather conditions. Problems can occur with a sudden change in weather at annual matches. It can be difficult to make last minute changes.

At the US Open, it rained. So, gravel was sprinkled on porch boards to help prevent slipping. Match directors should have alternate plans if their shooting surfaces are uncovered.

I'm not sure what the perfect solution is other than to be mindful of weather conditions and use some flexibility to prevent shooters from coming to harm.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Sergeant,

Amen to that. I just took a quick walk last night (hubby wanted to show me something) and didn't change into my hiking boots. It can get very slippery on leaves, wet grass, and pine needles. I even broke my arm two years ago from slipping on wet grass on a slight incline.

I have fallen down at two matches from slipping on wet grass in nice weather. Both times I was holding guns. I was just lucky that I didn't do anything to get a DQ (read really dangerous). Wet grass can be an issue everywhere.

We had a shooter fall on wet porch boards and crack his back. The boards were replaced with decomposed granite, which is a wonderful surface for us. At that time, folks talked about not having movement between guns in some weather conditions. Problems can occur with a sudden change in weather at annual matches. It can be difficult to make last minute changes.

At the US Open, it rained. So, gravel was sprinkled on porch boards to help prevent slipping. Match directors should have alternate plans if their shooting surfaces are uncovered.

I'm not sure what the perfect solution is other than to be mindful of weather conditions and use some flexibility to prevent shooters from coming to harm.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie,

Nicely put and seconded by Vance Montana

Well I've only found one type of boot that I can wear because I have major foot trouble. And they lace, so I'm out of cc and some others.

I share your major foot trouble. Finally got boots that fit well and feel good. One pair laces and the other doesn't. Hope I am legal but can't help it if I'm not. (no lugs on my soles).

Frazee

Well I've only found one type of boot that I can wear because I have major foot trouble. And they lace, so I'm out of cc and some others.

No problem for CC, alota folks wear lace up Packers and the like for CC.

"Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO

Lug”) soles. Mocassins are not allowed."

Jefro :ph34r:

Archived