SASS Wire Forum

Wind Power Is Safe

Subdeacon Joe

Why were we not warned about things like this?

A malfunction at a Nevada wind farm, which spilled more than 50 million barrels of cool breezes around the Great Basin, has resulted in an area man losing a valuable hairpiece. The man, a middle-aged sales representative known to colleagues as Jerry, was driving down a road near the wind farm in a late-model convertible when the massive wind spill occurred. He says his hairpiece -- commonly referred to as a toupee -- was lifted in its entirety from his head by errant winds whilst he was in the company of a young, female coworker.

The hairpiece was carried by spilled winds into a nearby ditch, where it encountered both a moldy pizza and a gently used diaper. It was rendered unfit for further use. The man, who plans to sue the state of Nevada and wind-farm owners for pain and suffering, claims the farm's operators are guilty of gross negligence in the matter of the accidental wind release. "If this had been an oil refinery, my dignity would be intact," he said.

Disaster first responders worked to contain the breezes using booms while spraying controversial air dispersants on presumed wind sources. When these efforts failed, responders elected instead to fly children's kites over the disaster scene in a bid to distract citizens.

Love the ad for "Solar Power" that comes up with the video :lol: Think there is any animosity between the two industries? ^_^

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

.... did they try to explain the failure ?

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was the pitch control on the blades that failed. And the braking system failed too (or wasn't designed to handle that speed). Winds were high and it just got going too fast. The blades aren't strong enough to take that speed. Just a guess, but those blades look to be between 50 and 60 feet long. At about 20 RPM that means the tips would be moving close to 200 mph. That looks to be spinning a LOT faster.

K.. so I have a question here.. why a hair piece anyhow? I look at a persons 'face, their humor. their love of God and country, their love of people.. and their face... A bald head does not bother me at all. I have met a lot of nice looking guys without hair darn it.. So... stop picking on yourselves.. I will never have a boob job, or a face lift or a body lift...because I hate needles.. lol.. and because life gave me every wrinkle I have... I am not 16 for gosh sakes.. Why replace hair? Gosh.. bald guys are nice looking guys... Not a problem for the women out here.. only TV ads try to tell ya it is.. now.. hairpieces on the other hand.. yeah. let the fans blow.. lol..

Okay so I went off track and I highjacked the thread.. lol.. You guys do it all the time and I love it.. lol

Over a certain wind speed, a windmill goes into a "safe mode" and its blades change pitch such that they are perfectly parallel to the wind's direction. With no angle of attack to the wind, there's no force on the blade and nothing to turn the blade. Only after coming to a complete stop can they apply the "brake" to prevent it from starting to move again.

In this case, the blades failed to go into safe mode. Yes, it was a very bad day at the wind farm.

Over a certain wind speed, a windmill goes into a "safe mode" and its blades change pitch such that they are perfectly parallel to the wind's direction. With no angle of attack to the wind, there's no force on the blade and nothing to turn the blade. Only after coming to a complete stop can they apply the "brake" to prevent it from starting to move again.

In this case, the blades failed to go into safe mode. Yes, it was a very bad day at the wind farm.

Charlies you kinda bulldozed right over my attempts to highjack this thread brother.. lol.. Come on .. lol

The explanation we got was this was a test of the blades, the safety systems and the resulting failure. Looks like a good test. If it were random then why was it so perfectly framed in the pictures and the camera at the correct angle. The loss of the tower may have not been planned but it looks like the pitch control was working in the beginning.

Toke

The explanation we got was this was a test of the blades, the safety systems and the resulting failure. Looks like a good test. If it were random then why was it so perfectly framed in the pictures and the camera at the correct angle. The loss of the tower may have not been planned but it looks like the pitch control was working in the beginning.

Toke

Could be that someone saw that it was rotating faster than designed, or faster than usual, and got a camera on it. Sometimes you get lucky. But, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

You ever see one of the egg beater styles self destruct? They wave and wobble and then it is about like one of those 'snake in a can' practical jokes.

Archived