SASS Wire Forum

OT:No wedding ring? Safety issue.

Trailrider #896

I haven't had mine off in 27+ years. All that time as a LEO. I couldn't take it off now if I wanted to. I've kind of grown around it. :) I imagine I'll wear it until it gets cut off my finger or I tear it off with the finger in an accident similar to those described above. :o

Wearing my wedding ring just seems to me to be the right thing to do.

It is the only piece of jewelry I wear, unless you count a wrist watch as jewelry.

I'm actually surprised at the number of folks here that don't wear their ring. I would have expected more folks to wear their ring.

Angus

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Had a tatoo of a ring put on that finger many years ago.Never has caught on anything.

I forgot to add that on the subject of the Royal Family......I couldn't care less what any of the inbred, over-privileged, blueblooded bozos do.

Up the rebels! :lol::FlagAm:

AMEN!!!!

I haven't had mine off in 27+ years. All that time as a LEO. I couldn't take it off now if I wanted to. I've kind of grown around it. :) I imagine I'll wear it until it gets cut off my finger or I tear it off with the finger in an accident similar to those described above. :o

Wearing my wedding ring just seems to me to be the right thing to do.

It is the only piece of jewelry I wear, unless you count a wrist watch as jewelry.

I'm actually surprised at the number of folks here that don't wear their ring. I would have expected more folks to wear their ring.

Angus

There's been ...what 40 posts or so on those who don't wear it. Legitimate reasons for sure, however there are many many more pards that probabaly DO wear thier ring than don't...

Of course like some have mentioned - who's business is it anyway. :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I say! A veddy important safety practice. Might get the bloody thing caught on a switch, old boy. Bad form, that!

Now kerect me if I'm wrong but seein as how helicopter drivers Always wear their fancy Nomex flight gloves....how would that band of gold be a problem?

Here are some pics of HRH (His Receding Hairlineness) in action.

Willy on the flight line

Willy in the cockpit

In the cockpit again

All me mates wear gloves

Her Royal Grandmawness likes gloves too. Can't tell if she's got a ring on though. I hear The Royal Consort wears one.

In his nose. :lol:

<_<:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I still wear mine, for a couple of reasons, first it has gold nuggets (real ones) in it, so I can compare it to stuff I find panning..., second I can hardly get it off my finger these days...oh ya and I do love my wifey...

but my pappy and I were workin on my sisters old Toyota and he touched against a live wire, and there was sparks, smoke and him bangin his head on the hood, after wards we could see some nice burns on the spot of his hand and ring.

gold appears to be an EXCELLENT conductor of electricity...

curley

Actually I found mine, or the wife did, after I retired and I now wear it all the time. It wasn't so much that I had the common sense not to wear it but I just needed the job and was told not to wear rings.

As a young oaf I had the brother in law show up one day for some help, musta thought I looked like a doctor!! His wrench had slipped while trying to remove the nut to change his lawn mower blades and by the time he got to me his fanger was at least twice the size it were when the ring went on. Course like all smart Georgia boys I had just the right tool fer the job, called a Dremel. Now I am a gonna tell you, after a few seconds of grinding thet boy turned into a human pin ball machine ball and was bouncing off everything in the kitchen! Daddy always did say I was never the brightest bulb in the package BUT I did git to see theresults of a practical application of friction induced heat thet day.

I've been married for 46 years and I have never worn a wedding ring

after the wedding! Lot's of reasons....your ring could get caught on

something and you could rip your finger off, tendents and all.

The danger factor far outways the need to ware a ring...

QDG/Mike

Having worked with my hands and also being a LEO several years it's not good to wear a ring. A ring does not keep any person from cheating. The love for my wife and what we share is more than enough. Married couples went for many years with out rings as they were too poor to buy them. My wife does not have any problem with my ring being in her jewelry drawer. I know of more than one person who slips off the ring to enter a bar. A good solid marriage will not have that problem. Now there is this one in my nose that connects to a show lead that she carries in her purse.

Reading some of these posts it seems that those who wear our rings are stupid fools and use it to 'not cheat'....:rolleyes: I would venture that those who don;t wear their ring have the ability to cheat more often! Believe me, I see it all the time in my sales profession. Sadly.

If you have a job that requires removal of the ring great - for those of us who don't, we are proud of the symbol we adorn...nothin' wrong with that...and for those that have that temptation to cheat, sometimes looking down at that symbol on your hand is a strong reminder of the vows you have made.

Reading some of these posts it seems that those who wear our rings are stupid fools and use it to 'not cheat'....:rolleyes: I would venture that those who don;t wear their ring have the ability to cheat more often! Believe me, I see it all the time in my sales profession. Sadly.

If you have a job that requires removal of the ring great - for those of us who don't, we are proud of the symbol we adorn...nothin' wrong with that...and for those that have that temptation to cheat, sometimes looking down at that symbol on your hand is a strong reminder of the vows you have made.

GG

No ring ever made can make up for the lack of morals or character in a person. Whether male of female, once a cheater, always a cheater......one of the lowest forms of life on the planet.

GG

No ring ever made can make up for the lack of morals or character in a person. Whether male of female, once a cheater, always a cheater......one of the lowest forms of life on the planet.

Yes, I know - it's person behind the ring, or no ring, (well...the vows) that makes up the integrity of character - that's my point..

But this is where this thread has gone - from not wearing a ring for work reasons to 'I don't need a ring to prove my love' rhetoric :rolleyes: Whether one decides to wear or not wear is their personal issue. Nether preference is greater than the other.

Howdy, again, Pards,

My initial post was to criticize the media for not checking further before jumping to a conclusion about why Prince William won't be wearing a wedding ring. (Note: Nothing was reported about whether he will exchange rings with Kate Middleton at the ceremony!)

Fox News was on this past Sunday, with a psychologist no less who suggested this might be a sign of "lack of committment" on William's part. Again, nothing was suggested that might be any other reason for not wearing the ring.

(I attempted to e-mail my thoughts on the subject, but got a bounce back for some reason.)

I would agree that a cheater will cheat whether wearing a ring or not, and a faithful individual will be faithful whether adorned by a piece of metal or not. But, once again, the media is more interested in sensationalism than in getting (as the late Paul Harvey would say), "the rest of the story".

Ride easy, but stay alert! Remember, if those oxygen masks drop down you have less than 30 seconds of useful consciousness at 30,000 ft. (You may not be completely knocked out from hypoxia, but you won't be able to do anything!) Get yours on first before helping anyone else, including children. Be sure the tube is full length, but don't pull it loose. The cord that pulls out with it is what starts the lithium oxide cannister burning, supplying the oxygen.

Warning! Warning! The 2012 "Silly Season" has begun...the President announced he will seek re-election! <_< (I approve this message. :ph34r: )

Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

...Warning! Warning! The 2012 "Silly Season" has begun...the President announced he will seek re-election! <_< (I approve this message. :ph34r: )...

That could be a "godsend" as he could be too busy campaining to further screw up the country.

Regards,

Allie "my sister wrote that" Mo :rolleyes:;)

• 2 months later...

Pop wore a ring as long as he wasn't deployed or in field. Grandpaw didn't wear one as a mechanic, but wore it later as a foreman. Headstone didn't wear his after our first year of marriage cause he wore gloves all day in the lab and the perspiration just ravaged his finger. He ended up with an infection since he washed his hands all day in the lab, then encased them in gloves and trapped the moisture under the ring! If he works on the property, he doesn't wear his ring AT ALL as the wildlife won't care. When he travels for work, he wears it as now he doesn't have to glove as much, but I have learned to understand his reluctance to wear his ring around equipment and such! And EVERY one knows we are married, there is no prob with that. Ya'll KNOW how much I ADORE my husband. But...! I don't wear MY ring on the property (it's a GAWGEOUSE emerald, it is easily cracked) and bought a plain band to take for shooting after the Mississippi shoot last month. I was wearing my emerald ring and staged my shotgun next to my rifle. It slipped and I reached with my left hand to catch it. What should have been no biggie actually HURT (I shoot GF), when the rifle hit my hand at EXACTLY the right angle to pinch my finger and cause my knuckle to swell between the shotgun, ring and rifle. Then I couldn't grip my pistol with my swolen, left ring finger and shot slower and missed 3 with my left hand (if I miss, it's usually my right!)

This, little, insignifigant, situ reminded me a LOT about why many men don't wear rings! If you are married, you are married, this is a personal, heart-felt situation. Rings don't matter. I can understand that someone might see that you don't have a ring on and assume, but I talk about Headstone every moment of the day. So even with no ring, there is no misunderstanding. I settle that really quickly and word spreads....

Well, this is a very timely post. Dingo has worn his ring for 30 years. On May 20th he was on a ladder washing the rv and fell. He was very lucky that he did not deglove or break his finger. We had to go to the emergency room and have the ring cut off. I have never seen a finger swell up so fast. His finger is doing fine, but it still is a little swollen. He will not be wearing his ring anytime he is doing any chores.

We learned a good lesson.

Sixgun Sallie :)

Hey Velvet,

Headstone's story reminded me of why I quit wearing my wedding ring. It was a wide gold band and would trap moisture. My skin would pucker and crack. It really hurt. So, I quit wearing one.

Years later at work one of the single guys told me I should wear a ring so folks know I'm married. Now, I wear a very thin gold band that belonged to my mother. It doesn't get in the way, doesn't trap moisture, and I never have to remove it.

Regards,

Sister Allie

I am a commercial helicopter pilot as well as Director of flight for a large helicopter operator.We dont allow anyone to wear rings on the flightline.I have seen someone deglove their finger preflighting the tailrotor after getting the ring caught in it.Generally the pilots only wear gloves whilst actually flying.

I don't wear rings or jewelry, I personally know 2 gentlemen who lost fingers because of their ring.

When this issue first came up, I did a little research and this is what I discovered.

Prior to WW2, hardly ANY British men wore a wedding ring. It was just something they did not do. During the war, they noticed their American allies wearing wedding rings, thought it was a worthwhile custom, and began to do the same.

Even since the War ended, there has been a VERY slow decline in the practice. I don't recall what the current percentage of men who do and do not wear wedding rings in Britain is at the moment, but it is not considered unusual for a fellow over there to not wear one. For example, William's dad, Charles does wear a wedding ring, on his pinky, but his Grandfather Philip (the Queen's husband) has never worn one.

In other words, it's a British thing. Has nothing to do with him being a pilot or a military man.

That being said, I have known many men who for safety reasons, do take their wedding rings off while on the job and then put them back on when they go home. My own brother, an airline mechanic, and my father, who worked in the swing stage business are two examples.

I wear mine in my nose :ph34r: Had a buddy in the army who tripped and fell grabbing a cammo net on the way down. His ring got caught on the netting. Not a pretty sight.

I guess I have been lucky I have worn a wedding ring for 29 yrs and 10 months and have never had an issue. I do quite a bit or work with my hands from carpentry to automotive repair and everything in between.

When my father passed away I aksed my mother if I could have his wedding ring as she knows I have admired it for many years.I asked my wife if she would have any objection to me wearing my fathers ring and she did not. It is a heavy Gold band with 5 diamons inset in it, one for my mother and one for each of the four kids. It is a beautiful ring that he wore for 62 years. I will wear it until I die and I hope my son will wear it after I am gone. My original wedding ring is on a neck chain now.

Doc

I grew up on a farm in Iowa and my dad was a stickler for not wearing a ring when working. Neighbor lost his ring finger when it caught on something, I don't remember what.

I just didn't wear a ring at any time.

I wore my wedding ring on the wedding day but not after that.

SCG

I wore my ring when my wife and I got married almost 20 years ago. About three months after we were married I got my right hand crushed in a hydraulic press at work. While I was getting worked on at the hospital, the emergency room doctor looked at the ring on my left hand and wryly commented that if I'd had my left hand caught in the press I would have brought that finger to the hospital in a baggie. Of course, I knew better than to wear rings, watches, etc., while working with machinery. I guess it was a momentary lapse in judgement caused by wedded bliss. Anyhow, I don't work with machinery much anymore but I still don't wear a wedding ring...or a watch...or a necklace... or anything. Honestly, they all bother me to death. My wife understands.

Archived