SASS Wire Forum

Ammo Price Increases?

Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

My local dealer said that ammo from suppliers went up 25% today and another 25% hit scheduled on top for June. Further, they are expecting another 25% increase this fall. Don't think he was just feeding a line of BS. What are you hearing?

HMMM,sounds like it is getting time to think about giving up shooting and take up yachting. Even gasoline takes longer than that to double in price! Any unique new fantasies being promoted for gutting the fish this time?

HMMM,sounds like it is getting time to think about giving up shooting and take up yachting. Even gasoline takes longer than that to double in price! Any unique new fantasies being promoted for gutting the fish this time?

Other than the cost of material and shipping....none. Those folks that paid 70+/k primers may get their money back after all.

Other than the cost of material and shipping....none. Those folks that paid 70+/k primers may get their money back after all.

Especially if we keep passing rumor and speculation back and forth between ourselves...........Why do we keep doing this to ourselves???........

I bought some reloading supplies from Cabelas a while back and they had a notice the price of components was going to rise substantially.

Hmmmm. I can feel another primer panic coming on.

All dealers got notification from the distributors that ammo and reloadinbg components will be going up. Dealers will incorporate it as they recieve the newly purchased inventory.

We're not the only ones feeling the pinch => http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sdcounty/article_b925760b-7652-5e44-ba01-7f95ce031c0e.html

Fighting two wars doesn't help either. Military contracts come first, then cops, then cowboys.

Some know I am a FFL ammunition manufacturer. I also cast most of the bullets I use in the shop.

The last week of January 2011 the price I was quoted by my lead alloy supplier was $.77 per pound higher with a remark that it changes daily. This was the result of more California 2011 fees.

My supplier was close enough to go pick up when needed. Now I get my alloy from the east coast. Delivered by the USP. The cost is $0.85 per pound less than the local supplier (Los Angeles smelter) and it includes the delivery charges.

I have not check the cost of raw brass but would imagine it has gone up as well.

This may seem simplistic...and it is...but like some others here..it is the law of supply and demand.....it's only a price increase IF you pay it...shop around boys...I saw Wolf primers that I have been using for a year now for $15 a box just the other day...no one increases their margin with lost sales.... Make the Federal boys look up..and lost sales do that.... and now Federals are less....a lot less.. remember you are in control of the demand part and there are LOTS of suppliers.

Civilian ammo demand is minuscule compared to the base metal demand for wiring and batteries for instance which influence the market to a greater degree. The latter, copper and lead, are in short supply (or high demand) and we're suckin hind teat.

Welp. being I haven't bought a primer in almost 3 years and not a single piece of lead in almost 4 years, I couldn't guesss at what the prices are. I bought cheap and bought a lot of everything. Some people thought I was crazy. Maybe hind-sight is 20/20. I still have enough to last several years. I also do a lot of shooting and reloading. Why buy loaded ammo is my question. It only takes a few thousand rounds to pay for a reloading machine. Then the cost is nill. I know this doen't help the ones in need but if you shoot and shoot alot you should be reloading.

My 2 cents,

Daybreaker

Midway still shows Winchester primers in all flavors at $30 per 1,000.

Starline has a lot of their products on backorder, but the back-in-stock dates are all this month. Prices don't appear to have jumped.

That's today. Next week might be different.

Lead and copper prices through the ceiling with hugely increased demand from China. Commodity markets unsettled in the wake of the Japanese quake. We're still locked into 2, maybe 3, Sandbox wars siphoning off vast amounts of ammo. Ouchies!!!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

My old can of Trail Boss was $12, then one I bought yesterday was $14.

Got 1k primers (cci) for $25.

Still considerably cheaper than buying factory made ammo.

I know they are getting higher but shooting is my only hobby... As long as I have all my bills paid and have enough left over after making sure that my wife, kids and grandkids are fine, then what's left over is mine to spend on recreation.

I do not reload to save money. I reload to shoot more....

Yep...That's why I'm starting a new shooting organization thingy!!

A.S.S...Arrow Shooting Society...just grab 30 arrows and use-um over and over!!

For those who don't want to "Give up their guns" we'll have WB catagory...Wax Bullets.

So get the lead out and...oh wait, wont need none of that stuff...come on over!!

Refuse to pay those high prices!!!

And still have FUN!!!

Coming to a club near you!!

BH :wacko:

PS ya can dress like an Injun!!!!

Huh!

Looks like that $$$ I spent on primers and brass and 25 lb of BP a few years ago just might pay off after all.

Might be runnin outa lead pretty soon, though. Only have about 800 lb out back.

All that reloadin equipment sure seems like a good investment.

Doc McGee

Archived