SASS Wire Forum

need rifle help

MMJ#89586

I'm looking for a cas rifle and I'm not sure what to get. It needs to be 45lc. I'm looking for quality too something that can be passed down. I'll only be doing 3-4 shoots a year so the gun will not be having 1000's of rounds shot through it a year. Oh yeah and the Max I can spend is $800.

You should be able to find a nice, used Marlin Cowboy Ltd. in your price range. American made. Nice checkered forend and buttstock.

Uberti Henry? Busts your account, unless you get a heavily used one. Slower than a well tuned Marlin, normally. Lots of style points though.

It might just be possible to find a used '66 with about 5 years or more use at that price point. Now THAT could be worth having.

Good luck, GJ

What about the Henry's?

If you are talking about the modern Henry's, they aren't cowboy guns to anyone with a hint of historical sense. I wouldn't own one and I certainly wouldn't consider it an heirloom.

An 1860 on the other hand will bust your price limit.

At that price it has to be used. If it has not had any action work. You may have to go for more money.Good Luck in your search.

MMJ

If you go to Gunbroker.com and type in Beretta Renegade you find a couple of 45 Colt rifles there for about $795 plus freight. I bought one in 357 about 3 weeks ago for $695. Seems they are selling fast and there must be a limited number of .45s left.

I know this is the very top of your budget and they will still require some action work. But they do come from the factory with a short stroke and some say an aluminum lifter.

My personal choice would be what Manatee said. Marlin Cowboy Limited w 24" barrel. Easy to work on, rarely if ever break, mine hasn't in 9 years, and would work as a hunting rifle as well.

Good luck with your search,

Marlin Buckhorn

MMJ

If you go to Gunbroker.com and type in Beretta Renegade you find a couple of 45 Colt rifles there for about $795 plus freight. I bought one in 357 about 3 weeks ago for $695. Seems they are selling fast and there must be a limited number of .45s left.

I know this is the very top of your budget and they will still require some action work. But they do come from the factory with a short stroke and some say an aluminum lifter.

My personal choice would be what Manatee said. Marlin Cowboy Limited w 24" barrel. Easy to work on, rarely if ever break, mine hasn't in 9 years, and would work as a hunting rifle as well.

Good luck with your search,

Marlin Buckhorn

The Beretta does interest me. Is it a quality gun or more of a throw away? Not that I mean throw away but you get what I'm saying.

MMJ

They are quality guns. Manufacture is Uberti so it is as good or bad as any other Uberti 73. Since this is probably the most used rifle by current CAS most people think they are great. Differences in the rifles;

1. All blue instead of case colored receiver as on other Uberti models.

2. Stock and forearm are checkered, other Uberti models aren't checkered.

3. Oil finish on wood instead of lacquer. Makes it easier to maintain and looks more like original Winchesters. Others may disagree with this.

4. Factory installed short stroke links. Saves about $150.00+ if you have the rifle tuned.

5. Probably more pluses that I am not aware of and probably some minuses as well.

6. If you buy one and want to throw it away just throw it my way. And I don't even shoot .45s but I could start!

Good luck,

Marlin

Well I've been looking at some of the emf Hartford guns. They are good priced. What type of quality are they? Also I'm getting a little blinded by the new Henry rifles. Made in the USA and $759.00. I need to know why not to buy one.

MMJ

Hard to answer all your questions. And remember most reply's are personal opinion. As far as the EMF guns, they are all good everyday rifles designed and manufactured on the Winchester Model 92. Great solid & strong gun, but not consider to be the best choice for SASS if you are looking to be competitive. The new Henry's, well lets just say they are not very "cowboy". They are what they are and can't be smithed to be any better!

My opinion is still Marlin Cowboy Limited first, 2nd a Winchester 73 repro!

Remember, the advice you get is only worth what you paid for it! :rolleyes:

Marlin

MMJ:

when you listed your price range of $800, a good deal of folks probably immediately thought of the Marlin.

Yes, more than likely, you might have to smooth it up alittle and some good gunsmithing work might cost ya 100-150 bucks.....maybe. Maybe NOTHING if you want to visit Marauders website and do some of the work yeself.

Ifn you think the Henry Big Boy looks good and ifn its what you want, then get it.

But you won't get a Posse full of endorsements on it, for various reasons. Some folks like em.....some don't.

Naturally, I would also recommend the Marlin....period. And based on your price range, that would be an automatic choice in my opinion.

Ifn ya want to pay more, then a whole new market opens up for you. But still, alhough I can afford a fancy 66 or 73, I still prefer the Marlin and think its as good as any rifle on the firing line.

Wish you well in your decisions.

..........Widder

Thanks guys. Is the main reason why people don't like the Henry because of looks? I'm trying to work out a deal right now on a Marlin cowboy 1894 limited. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the deal done so that's why I'm looking at other options. The Marlins are very hard to find around here. Actually any lever action 45 is hard to find.

Good choice on the Marlin. That is a very good gun at a good price.

As the the Henry, they make a great little 22 rifle. Their larger rifle is similar in design and function to the Marlin, but not as strong, nor quite as smooth generally. And some do not like the looks, but the functionality is not quite up to the Marlin or the 73 rifles.

Make sure to read the info folks have provided on my website about the Marlin. At least look at the Marlin Fix as a tiny bit of smoothing on a new rifle will really help it last.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Given the uses you suggest I would think either the Marlin or the Hartford would be the best choices. SASS people think first and formost about speed. Nothing is faster than a 66/73 Uberti clone. If on the other hand you want to do something other than shoot steel targets then either the Marlin or the Hartford is a better choice. The 92 clone was designed as a replacement for the 73, and is much stronger than the 73. They can handle hunting rounds that would destroy a 73. The Hartford is cheaper but the Marlin has several real advantages as well. For me the biggest is they are made in America.

If you're only doing 3-4 shoots per year, speed is not likely to be an issue for you. The '92-based clones are a good value but can be stiff when new. If you're comfortable with tools, they can be slicked up really well for the cost of one of Nate Kiowa Jones DVDs (about $30). And the .45 call versions aren't as finicky with ammo as the .357s. There are nice used ones out there too.

Good luck!

Got the Marlin. Shooting it soon I hope, I did look a a Henry big boy. The two guns don't compare for me. The Henry was much to cumbersome for my style and ability for cas. Plus the Marlin just looks and feels nicer IMO. Plus was over $100 less.

What about the Henry's?

If you mean the modern Henry I have a friend I shoot with that would probably sell you one well below your price limit. He just ordered a 1866 Uberti today because he can't get through a 5 stage match without having trouble on 2 or 3 stages. He said today he new it pretty well, he'd taken it apart so many times to clear jams. I think if you asked him he'd say to run from one.

As others have said a Marlin is a great rifle in your price range, go to YouTube and search Duece Stevens and you'll see how they can run.

Randy

The Marlin Cowboy is the most competitive gun mentioned in this post.

My recommendation would a bit different since you plan on passing the gun on. You can find decent original Winchester 1892's in good condition for $800. I have bought two in the past three years and several a number of others. Gunbroker and GunsAmerica have several for under your max. If you buy online, make sure that you get a return policy and have the gun checked by a gunsmith. The .25WCF is very difficult to load within SASS rules.

The ammo (.32, .38 or .44 WCF) is a bit expensive (see Georgia Arms), but the rifles are made to work and they will appreciate in value. I can run mine in the middle of the scores any monthly match and also have used it for long range (5 shots on a 16" target at 100 yards in 8.06 seconds). The modern '92s all shoot straightwall .38/.357, .44 or 45; the gun was designed to feed the original bottle-neck cartridges.

Many of these guns wer rarely used for hunting after more powerful rounds like the .30-06 and.30-30 became popular. It is much easier to find Winchester in good shape than Colts or Smiths of the same age.

woodbury outfitters is selling 73 berettas made by uberti kinda ready to go, i bought mine and my sons a couple of weeks ago for 699.99 free shipping, i looked today and they are 749.99 plus 29.99 shipping, that is still a good deal for a brand new 73,

I'm looking for a cas rifle and I'm not sure what to get. It needs to be 45lc. I'm looking for quality too something that can be passed down. I'll only be doing 3-4 shoots a year so the gun will not be having 1000's of rounds shot through it a year. Oh yeah and the Max I can spend is $800.

Archived