SASS Wire Forum

Roy and Dale's burial.

Carlos Murphy # 873

Where can I find details on Roy and Dales burial?

I read about Roy's burial in the CBC but no longer have the issue and wish to relate the event a friend. :wub:

Happy Trails.

Carlos Murphy

You may want to talk with Black Jack McGuiness, I believe he was the originator of one of the articles you're referring to....Buck :blush:

I believe Black Jack played the pipes at Roys funeral.

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

I wrote an Article for the Chronicle and Shoot Magazine. If you PM me your email I will send along the Article I wrote. I also have a ton of pictures, but it would take up a large file on your email and computer.

he was a Just and Upright Mason.

Back when I was working in uniform Patrol with the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office I received what is called a Public Assistance call. I was directed to proceed to the BR airport and meet a certain VIP and transport them CODE Three to a given address. I asked for the name of the VIP and was told that I would know who it was when I saw them. I was about 36 at the time. I almost fell over when I went to the area that is reserved for VIP's so that they are not mobbed by the general public in the regular terminal. There was Dale Evans standing there with two assistants. She put out her hand and went to introduce herself when I stopped her and said Ma'am I have known you all my life. She laughed and said that she was in Baton Rouge to be the guest speaker at a new church and that they were late. She further advised that they were holding up the ceremony waiting on her arrival. I took them to my unit and my partner about fell out the car when he saw me with Ms Evans. We went onto opposing lanes with lights and sirens and had her at the church in short order. She gave me a big hug and said that she would say a prayer for me in my police work. I asked her to say hello to Roy for me. I know she saw that 10 year old boy dressed like a cop standing there in complete admiration

Just a little aside.

We worked Roy's funeral as parking lot help, dressed in our SASS outfits.

Then we got a call for additional help.

Seems the cemetery couldn't get the equipment into place to dig Roy's grave that morn, so a bunch of cowboys, and one cowgirl, hustled over to the cemetery and we took turns with shovels hand-diggin Roy's grave in that awful high-desert heat, still dressed in our duds.

We called ourselves his Burial Posse.

The Rogers family was grateful and we all received hand-written notes of thanks from Dusty Rogers.

And yes, we did all make it back for the services.

Archived