SASS Wire Forum

CAS Long rang shooting question

Cowboy45

Howdy Pards,

I would like to get started at shooting some long range, sounds like fun. Need some good info on a suitable gun. I think that the 45-70 (smokeless) is the caliber of choice but need some guidance on the rifle. I have been reading about the Uberti highwall. What is your opinion about accuracy and quality.

This CAS is all I can think about lately. I'm sixty-six, retired and having a ball. Catch you later on the trail or by the watering hole.

Hey thanks for all the expertice in advance!

You are on the right track. 45-70 is a great round and I have a Uberti high wall in 40-65.

They are great rifles. You will need to add a good tang sight.

long range shooting is a lot of fun.

Reuben

I'm going to be shooting long-range for the 1st time at Mayhem, come Memorial Day. All my overtime pay has been going into it; gonna be shooting a 30" trapdoor in 45-70, either my Centennial (which I still haven't got) or my scoped NWMP carbine both in 45-75, and either my Burgess or Lightning for the pistol-caliber. Starting to get excited, just wish the weather would let me get some practicing done.

I have an 1884 Trapdoor Springfield. It is more accurate than I am, being able to occsasionally hit a standard size SASS target at 250 yards. BUT, the gun is also very heavy, and it is difficult to get off more than a couple of offhand shots before fatigue starts to set in. This is why I plan to get a Trapdoor carbine asap.

For repeaters, I just picked up Winchester 86 in .45-70, but I have not fired it yet. Will soon.

I have found that the .30-30 doesn't seem to have the range.

.30-40 is fantastic in a 95 Winchester, IF you can find a shoot that has an Open category.

Good luck.

Look in the Buffalo Arms catalog for shooting supports. I made a set of crossed sticks with heavy dowels, and a set with a fixed crossways foot out of 1X2 s similar to the NRA approved model. I have used both at 500 yds with my High wall 3855. Usually sticks are allowed at long distance but not for 30 30 or Quigley.

I have an 1884 Trapdoor Springfield. It is more accurate than I am, being able to occsasionally hit a standard size SASS target at 250 yards. BUT, the gun is also very heavy, and it is difficult to get off more than a couple of offhand shots before fatigue starts to set in. This is why I plan to get a Trapdoor carbine asap.

For repeaters, I just picked up Winchester 86 in .45-70, but I have not fired it yet. Will soon.

I have found that the .30-30 doesn't seem to have the range.

.30-40 is fantastic in a 95 Winchester, IF you can find a shoot that has an Open category.

Good luck.

I have a 30-40 rolling block. 500 yards is no problem.

Cherrys (www.cherrys.com) has a like-new Uberti High Wall in .45-70 for a very reasonable price. I keep hoping that someone will buy this gun and take it out of my 'temtpation bucket'.

For SASS long range it depends on the distance that you will be shooting as to which may be the best choice. I have 2 Browning High Wall's one in 38-55 my favorite and one in 45-70 for shooting in high wind and over 300 yards. The High Wall design can be faster to operate as long as you choose one that cocks the hammer when the lever is opened than almost any other model. If speed is not a concern than it is hard to beat a sharps or rolling block with double set triggers for fun and that historic factor. Accuracy will be fine for all but the longest shots with the right load and the right gun. Look to Browning, Pedersoli, C Sharps, Ballard, or Shiloh Sharps for some of the very best examples. Also a good Soule sight with a Hadley eye cup is mandatory for the best accuracy.

Good Luck!

-Deadlee

Who has won a long range event or two :-)

I have guns in .38-55 , .40-65 and .45-70 for longrange ,,,,,,, And the very best is my Highwall in .40-65 ...

I use a 95 Marlin in .45-70 for longrange Lever ,,,,, out to about 400 yards ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived